1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Graphical LCD Order

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Visualaid, 6 Jan 2004.

1. Darkside

Darkside What's a Dremel?

Looks awesome Malcs. Can't wait to get to mappers and get the pot, resistor and d-type connector. Trouble is, I don't have a day off until Friday next week to wire it all up !!!

Could you post a link to the files ?? Or, if you want to email them to me, I would host them for everyone to get.

Darkside.

2. malcs

malcs oops! i put a hole in the ***** :(

3. Darkside

4. malcs

yes, really :D

5. Darkside

U da man, as they say..... Now I have to get LCDStudio.

/runs away to google.

Darkside

6. Cyberbob:-)

Cyberbob:-) Minimodder

Well i've wired mine up tonight...

When i plug it into the Parallel port my screen lights up, only slightly. Is this ok? I'm sure the wiring is ok. When i plug the molex then it lights up properly. The POT works too. All i have to do now is get LCDstudio.

What version of LCDstudio are you using. I've just downloaded one from the website ver 1501. When i try and run it, it says it's expired... :idea:

7. malcs

you need to download the fix

8. Cyberbob:-)

Yep, done that.

Got LCDstudio working. Installed DLPortIO.dll.
    I get a couple of mixed letters on the screen, do i need to reboot to get it all fully working? Also is ok that it lights up whenit's just conneccted to the parallel?

9. malcs

afaik thats alright so long as its not caused by crossed wires, and try a reboot :p tho tbh i didnt have to... you need to get the KS108 driver for it!! i might actually put that up here as well, i'll rehost it tho

10. malcs

yay again, i rule.

to install just go to your LCDstudio program directory, then in there there is a folder called plugins, just extract all the files in this zip there. Then, in LCD studio, just go file>configure, and select KS0108 and press the < arrow to bring it into the program along with whatever else you want :D then press OK and you should be set to go

this is the download link for the KS0108 driver for LCD studio

11. Cyberbob:-)

Your a star Malc. I shall try that when i get home.

Still can't beleive it's almost working. I was well impressed with my soldering skills... :D (Didn't think i would do it)

I'll keep my fingers crossed for tonight. I'll let you know how i get on..Thanks again mate... :thumb:

12. Arien

Arien What's a Dremel?

I'm stuck.. what do i do with the GND pins on the parellel connector? Cos i don't have enough wires in the kit Acrim sent..? And where do i connect them to?

13. Visualaid

Visualaid What's a Dremel?

acrim solder the parallel pins together with short pieces of solder so they are all linking then solder 1 of these linked pins to a spare wire in the black screen cabl.e Something like orange+white stripe. Then with the orange white stripe on the LCD side of the cable solder it to one of the ground connections. With this pad solder the ground connection to the molex with a wire acrim gave.

so you end up with a gnd LCD pin with 2 wires 1 into the parralel cable and 1 to the grnd of the molex.

14. Arien

Arien What's a Dremel?

It works! It works! It works! It works! It works! It works! It works! It works! It works! It works! It works! It works! It works! It works! It works! It works! :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

What a piece of kit! :D and it worked first time aswell! Means i have another 4 to play around with :D.

15. acrimonious

acrimonious Custom User Title:

woe is lcd

i wired up the second one.

Now that's dead. Was going good, then it did the same as the first, stripes started appearing, chip got hot, now i can't even get a test screen. Either they were damaged in the post, unlikely, or my parallel port or PSU is to blame.

Both of my LCDs are now cooked.

...a very pissed off acrim.

16. Gooey

Gooey What's a Dremel?

I bet you are acrim :9
    any chance of sending my kit so I can have a chance of frying mine?

17. acrimonious

acrimonious Custom User Title:

What's your real name, i'm sure its been sent out already.

18. Gooey

Gooey What's a Dremel?

Stuart McIlwraith mate, if its been sent already its gotta be lost, dam PO :(

19. crystalfontz

crystalfontz What's a Dremel?

Arien & malcs: Good job on getting it going :)

SteveyG wrote:

From what I can work out, there's no real way you can damage these LCD's unless you reverse the supply rails or short the negative voltage output. Any of the inputs can accept logic 0 or logic 1, so unless the inputs are left floating there doesn't seem to be any reason for anything to get hot. May be worth testing the voltage output of your parallel port to make sure the outputs aren't any higher than 5V

This is kinda true . . . with the notable exception of the power supply pins. A PC power supply is absolutely unforgiving for prototyping, it is completely ready to deliver 25+ amps on the +5v, which is plenty of current to smoke almost any electronics.

Reversing the polarity of the power supply could cause all sorts of trouble. For instance, if you connect +5v from the PC to a ground pin on the display, then from the display's point of view, all the printer port pins now go from 0v to -5v. And the ground line of the power supply is now a hard -5v signal that will fry any pin it is connected to.

This would be my guess of what happened to acrimonious.

By the way, does e-mail notification work in this forum?

20. malcs

@ crystalfontz

yeah it does :)

and the displays are really good! which program do you reccomend?