1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Graphical LCD Order

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Visualaid, 6 Jan 2004.

1. Arien

Arien What's a Dremel?

Yeah i love my LCDs.. after a bit of tinkering and finally noticing the plastic cover was still on it is REALLY clear and i can't wait to mount it somewhere and start using it properly.

At the moment we are all using LCD Studio so any recommendations like Malcs said would be great.

2. Henri

Henri What's a Dremel?

Here's some things to keep in mind for everyone attaching lcds to parallel port: http://lcdproc.sourceforge.net/docs/stable-0-4-4-user-html/x904.html

As I mentioned earlier in this thread I've noticed few times with a CFAG12864-TMI-V that the chips have been getting hot when I've plugged it in. It has been fixed by just unplugging it and plugging in again. Maybe the latchup situation mentioned there ?

I believe it happened few times with my Displaytech KS0108 display too. I don't remember this happening with any other controllers than KS0108 and it has become a habit for me to check that the chips aren't getting hot everytime I plug in a KS0108 display. Maybe the parallel port pins can be in a state which KS0108 doesn't like.

Last edited: 19 Feb 2004
  3. Cyberbob:-)

Cyberbob:-) Minimodder

Well i've rebooted my PC. And still nothing on the display.... :wallbash:

Going to check my wiring tonight. Does anybody know off the top of there head. Which wires could be wrong? It all lights up, and the contrast works, just nothing happening.... :jawdrop:

4. acrimonious

acrimonious Custom User Title:

Sorry, Stuart, it looks like it's been lost in the post, i'm quite annoyed at the post office now, i'm gussing that about 10% of the kits i've sent has been lost, i think i have the recipt, I'll try and dig it out, see if i can make a claim or anything, give me another day or two on it, then i'll sort out a resolution with you and jay.

crystalfontz, I have deffo not reversed the polarity here.

Measured my p-port output voltage, nice and stable at around 3.3v.

My test PSU (which i believe was at fault) was outputing 5.21v, could the .21v increase be to blame?

Also I noticed the display get progrssively more flickery, as if the refresh-rate for the whole display was gradually decreasing, could this be an indication of an instability in my powersupply (which i can't detect with my meter) or just a sign of the chip(s) getting too hot?

Thanks for your help,

5. Cyberbob:-)

Cyberbob:-) Minimodder

Well just a little update. Yippee!!!

I've got my LCD working, I had 2 wires the wrong way round. Just glad i didn't blow the thing....

Happ now... :D :D :D

6. jay

jay What's a Dremel?

Cheers acrim was just going to ask then read this.

7. LiL_MJ

LiL_MJ What's a Dremel?

im new to wiring these lcd's so one question!

what do i do with the GND , and the 5v wires?

could i basically join the ends of all the GND wires up with solder or one single wire? and also the 5v do i just join them also to the 5v? thanks

8. Incorpirate

Incorpirate What's a Dremel?

ok jus a lil nag i still aint got my screen :(

9. Arien

Arien What's a Dremel?

Right.. here is what i did.. for the GND's on the parallel connector i linked all of the GND pins up with solder and then ran a bit of solder over the edge of the plug so it was touching the outside metal of the plug.. this will ground it.

For the LCD i just took all of the GND cables and crimped all 4 into the black (Ground) molex plug.. and all the 5+ i crimped into the yellow (5 volt) pin of the molex.

10. LiL_MJ

LiL_MJ What's a Dremel?

woohooo wired it up and i turnd my comp on and it lights up blue but nothing yet displays. need to instal the sift nw =D

11. LiL_MJ

LiL_MJ What's a Dremel?

sorry about the spam but i cannot get lcdstudio 2 run?

wen i install it, its all fine but when i double click it says its already running? but then after a few minutes it says runtime error?

also should the display show a bootup screen when pc turned on? like blocks etc? as i dont get any off that. thanks

12. TX297

TX297 Hey guys have you heard of seenly?

Acrim,

Whenever I use my test PSU to power my little 5.6" color LCD sitting here, I get dark lines rolling on the screen. The speed of the scrolling depends on what colors / brightness is being used on the display. My display is fine with the dodgy voltage put out by my test PSU, but I'm going to say that it is your power supply's fault. When I'm running my LCD on my test PSU, the chips are cold.

Hope I helped,
    -TX297

13. LiL_MJ

LiL_MJ What's a Dremel?

ignore my posts.....MINE IS WORKING! =D im a noob in this and i got it working first time aww im so happy! thanks visualaid. im jus learning how to use the software for it. thanks

(note u guys try altering the pot when testing as mine wos in the middle and i couldnt c anything. i then altered the contrast and the time showed up! :))

14. jay

jay What's a Dremel?

Well done M8 , you arnt being ignored we all read but dont all reply .
    Once again well done :thumb:

ps: acrim any joy at the post office with those kits ?
    and did you get one to work yet ?

Last edited: 21 Feb 2004
  15. LiL_MJ

LiL_MJ What's a Dremel?

thanks m8! i only could get lcd studio 2 work and nothing else tho :( and plugins for it r v.limited. wondering if anybody got liquid mp3 working? my display goes jibberish when i open it.
    thanks

16. Darkside

Darkside What's a Dremel?

Right, I just wired mine up, and got the LCD Studio software installed. I have installed the correct driver, and to a point, the display is working :D

If I set up a screen with the time and date on it, I can only see them if they are on the right-hand side of the display !! It appears the left side is blank :worried:

Anyone got any ideas ?? Off to check and recheck wiring.

Darkside.

17. warrmr

warrmr What's a Dremel?

check the data lines.

18. Gooey

Gooey What's a Dremel?

Just to let you all know I sorted min eout and is working spot on, i found the problem in the end to be the 25 pin connector i was using.
    Anyway many thanks to all

19. LiL_MJ

LiL_MJ What's a Dremel?

anybody got liquid mp3 working? it gives me dodgy display with pixels missing and its all stretched :( lcdinfo was the same but the creator sent me an update which works fine. but still lcd studio is the best so far, even tho liquid mp3 has better mp3 plugins.

also anybody got the weather plugin working for lcdstudio

thanks

20. Darkside

Darkside What's a Dremel?

Rechecked wiring, and I had CS1 wired to pin 15 on the parallel port instead of pin 16. All working fine now :clap: :clap:

Thanks got to Visualaid for making this possible for everyone :rock: :rock:

Darkside.