1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Graphix Card Cooling Questions...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by XplicitContent, 14 May 2005.

1. XplicitContent

XplicitContent What's a Dremel?

Since I am getting this card...
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814150041
    You can see why I am upgrading after the summer, because this card is only going to be temperarly until I receive more money for the Geforce 6800gt. Will this card (Geforce FX5200) be fine without buying a better heatsink? I dont want to spend more money on a heatsink for it.

Say, if I overclocked the vga card, should the stock heatsink still be fine, or would I have to upgrade to a better heatsink/fan?

I am going to watercool the CPU, but not the vga card now as I dont have any more money. But until after summer, I will upgrade the card and add a vga waterblock.

Till then, help on the heatsink questions. Thank you for your help!

2. Xen0phobiak

Xen0phobiak SMEGHEADS!

2 things:

A) this post is in the wrong forum, i'll move it to graphics cards.

B) it will be fine, I don't see the point in overclocking it though

EDIT: would move it but the thread tools arent working for me :\

3. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Any card is guaranteed to run stock speeds with the included cooler. A 5200 won't really get a huge improvement out of overclocking, but it wouldn't be worth it to buy a new cooler to get a few extra mhz out of a card like that

4. XplicitContent

Sorry for posting this in the wrong forums, but it is a 'cooling' issue. So, its ok as far as you guys know that I can overclock as much as I can and still be fine with the stock heatsink? But if it did overheat, I should just overclock a little so I wouldnt have to buy another heatsink/fan for it?

Ok, just confirm this and I will be on my way. Thanx guys.

5. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

If it overheats, it won't die, it'll just start artifacting (unless you do something crazy, as long as you go in small increments it won't be a problem). Once you start seeing artifacts, back off a few MHz and leave it there. The stock heatsink simply won't get you as much of an OC as another heatsink, but you can go as high as possible without artifcating and be safe. Remember GPUs can take a LOT more heat than CPUs (my 6800GTs only start kicking in thermal throttling at 135c or something). But like I said, a 5200 won't get a huge performance boost by overclocking.

6. XplicitContent

Well, if it isnt going to get a huge performance boost if I overclock it, there is no sense in me getting another heatsink/fan for it, so I might as well stick with the stock heatsink, correct? Ok. But when I get the Geforce 6800gt, I am going to water-cool that son of a gun. :)

Thanx for the help!

7. Xen0phobiak

Xen0phobiak SMEGHEADS!

Moved to graphics cards. This isn't an extrememcooling topic ;)

8. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

I get a decent overclock with my 5200 which came with a crappy 40mm fan which I replaced with a passive heatsink. I get about 1.5k extra 3dmarks in 2001 with overclocking. That is a noticable differance of about 20 fps in some tests.

9. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

I had the misfortune of owning an Fx5200 (came with PC) and in a desperate attempt to boost it's performance I o/c'ed it with the stock heatsink without any problems what so ever...

I used Rivatuner... I worked out the maximum it Rivatuner would allow then took one or two steps backwards.

For most cards, I'd start with a 10% overclock, and edge outwards. With an Fx5200, 10% isnt going to make the card fly, but lets face it, you'll be 10% less behind the rest of the pack...!

10. webbyman

webbyman Hax.

if your that bothered about overclocking it and keeping it cool... just buy a 60p 80mm fan and attach it to the gfx card with an elastic band or something... :hehe:

Tags: