1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Great painting... or is it a photo???

Discussion in 'General' started by peteone, 20 Jun 2005.

1. peteone

peteone Minimodder

I came across this this last week and sent the link round work and we havn't stopped arguing yet weather its real or fake. I thought Id post it here to see what you guys think.

http://www.drublair.com/workshops/tica.html

I realy cant make my mind up, my limited knowledge of airbrush art tells me its not real, but Ive heard some realy good arguments saying that it is actualy a painting.

You decide :thumb:

2. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

Thats a tough one.
    Looks more photo-like to me, but theres a few signs it isn't.

3. Henchman:crg

Henchman:crg What's a Dremel?

Well, my mother is a pretty good artist, and I don't think she could do that.

I think it's fake (a photo), but I am gonna get her to check this out also.

4. Redwolf

Redwolf Supermodel

its a photo, all his other work sucks like you woun't belive besides that you can tell that it is a photo right away.

5. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

It's a photo. You can see photochromatic abberations and light flaring.

6. Henchman:crg

Henchman:crg What's a Dremel?

I'm curious how you found it, going to the home page, it's hard to find a link.
    This wouldn't be you advertising your own stuff, or doing it for someone else?

Also, if you did find it by chance, how bored are you :eeek:

7. peteone

peteone Minimodder

yeah I am a bit bored but its got nowt to do with me. And yeah you cant seem to find it from the main page.

I do a lot of 3D work and found the link while browsing CG Talk heres the thread http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=250158&page=1&pp=15&highlight=dru+blair

Anyway I was as suspicious as you guys but after reading the thread about it something in my mind just said theres a slight chance it coluld be real. theres actualy a guy there who took a class with him years back who says it is the real deal. its not fake.

I just cant see anything that gives it away as being airbrused.

8. P2D

P2D 99.999% Pure Spam!

photo tbh, i dont think anyones THAT good.

9. acrimonious

acrimonious Custom User Title:

Look at the size of the canvas, and then look at the perfectly photographic detail of the englargement, he'd have needed to use a microscope. That's gotta be a photo.

10. TekMonkey

TekMonkey I enjoy cheese.

I think it's probably a painting, all the artist's other stuff is just as amazing. He's a graphics artist though, so it's a bit easier to make life-like works than with paint and a brush. :D

11. peteone

peteone Minimodder

he seems to be a very accomplished artist, and if it was me I would not want to put my reputation on the line by saying I painted a picture that I blatantly didn't. On the other hand if is a painting why isnt it on the front page of his site as in my opinion its quite a bit beter than most of his other works.

Hmmm... Im still undecided

12. acrimonious

I've seen photorealism stuff before, but the canvases are always huge, how could he get all that detail in there with an airbrush? Those perfectly lit pores would be almost microscopic.

If he is as good as he says he is, and that's the real deal, then he doesn't want anyone to know about it. Why else would he provide such tiny, crap, fake looking progression images and then post pictures and close ups of it with no evidence that any light is falling onto the canvas plane - as if it's actually a 3D object - just like a photo of a woman?

13. webbyman

webbyman Hax.

thats a picture only the hair told me he definatly can't have done that :rolleyes:

14. peteone

peteone Minimodder

15. omicron

omicron Baud.

It's a photo, and the step-by-step pages are just parts of the original photo using the clone stamp and a smattering of paint in a vaguely similar hue.

To those of you who "have seen photorealistic stuff before but the canvas is huge," it is possible to resize things in photoshop you know.. o_O.

16. Constructacon

Constructacon Constructing since 1978

Photo with fake "here's how we did it" steps.

It's possible to do a picture that looks that good from the distance of the pic with the guys, but that zoomed view of the face has just WAY too much detail to have been done by airbrush and pencil. Areas specifically to look at are the pores on the forehead, the cheeks and the hair at the base of the neck.

17. omicron

omicron Baud.

Ah, I just saw the big picture.

There's noise, there's overexposure on the left earring and the entire picture seems to blur. How is this convincing as a painting?

EDIT: And just look at the expression of that guy on the far right (our left) ;)

18. acrimonious

I was refering to the picture of the painting with the guys that clearly shows the actual girl to be around torso-size.

19. alextwo

alextwo <a href="http://forums.bit-tech.net/showpost.php?p

The other stuff on his site looks realistic but is clearly airbrushed. He says on the site it took him 65-75 hours, if it was possible to create such a realistic image then I think it would have taken a great deal more time. Fake IMO.

20. John Cena

John Cena What's a Dremel?

It is a photo. You can tell because he did backwards to trick most people.