1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Greetings / Portable Computer Ideas (Mod Newb)

Discussion in 'Modding' started by shomann, 6 Apr 2005.

1. shomann

shomann Minimodder

Greetings all. I would like to start by saying this entire community should be very proud of itself in turning out some of the most unique computers and assorted gadgets in the world. I come here from a humble background of lurking around sites like Anandtech and ArsTechnica. I am a bit hesitent to post this here and now as all I have to work with are ideas (no materials, no $$$ to get materials currently, and no modding skills).

That said, my idea is nothing new but I do have a few twists to throw at it. I want to construct a fully self-contained shippable/luggable PC. I have been lurking here and googling my heart out and have only found a few examples of completely contained systems (although 486Hawk's Turandot is very close). Here are my goals:

• Gaming system power (leaning towards Ath64/939 Nforce 4)
    • Suitable LCD screen 17" or greater
    • Dimensionally meet airline spec for carry-on items (22"x14"x9, <40lbs)
    • Stylish, but consistent with the briefcase theme

The question will of course be asked, why? Laptops are getting more and more powerful, particulaly more so than some of the best examples of briefcase PCs. A simple answer would be because it would be different, or even more obtuse ("what did you call me?") is because I can (well I CAN'T currently, but still). However, the practical reason is because you just can't beat the power of a desktop. Modern video cards, SATA hard drives, and huge LCDs are beyond the realm of a system that must also contain its own battery, have cooling requirements to make us males able to use them, and that are also small enough to actually sit on your lap.

But, I digress, these issues have been brought up before. The real reason is probably that I really have felt the need to create something recently. In no small amount spurned on by the exploits of you here on bit-tech, I have found myself wishing I was sweating over the 35000 rpms of a Dremel :dremel: .

Here is my idea thus far, feel free to critize or yell at me for taking up valuable forum space ;) :

• As large as possible LCD (does someone have the dimensions of the Dell 2005 FPW of JUST the screen w/o stand? - no, I am not kidding) mounted in the lid.
    • A 2-tier design of the body of the case.
    • Upper-tier to include microATX MOBO, 1-2 full size optical drives, 1-2 SATA hard drives, PCI-Express graphics card on 90 degree riser, and low-profile Heatsink.
    • Lower-tier to include 1U PSU in the 400W range, retractable main power cord, pull-out full size keyboard drawer.

Yeah, it will be tight. I have yet to find a premade case that fits the bill perfectly. The 2 closest are this aluminum/plywood case:
    http://www.casesbysource.com/mercha...ode=BL18138&Category_Code=ALF&Product_Count=9

and this Pelican 1550:

http://www.pelican.com/cases/3bo_1550.html

The Pelican does not officially meet the airline specs. Incidentally, I do not coast-to-coast LAN, but thought this was a good benchmark and if I ever DID want to travel, you can be damned sure that I wouldn't want to check this puppy.

OK, so taking into account that I have zero previous modding experience, am I crazy? :idea:

2. Death Reaper

Death Reaper What's a Dremel?

I'm doing the same type of thing for my mod, though I'm going on a smaller scale...

I'm using this case:

http://www.amvona.com/v7/shop/?page=shop/flypage&view=1&product_id=1824

For mine. Probably gonna go with 15" LCD (budget) and stick speakers on the sides. The PSU I got doesn't work though..so I gotta get money to get a new one :/

I was inspired by turandot too.

Regards,

3. nick01

nick01 What's a Dremel?

Hmm, let's see

22" deep
    mobo = 9.6", card brackets 0.6" deep, 5.25" bay 8" deep, total = 18.2"
    You can put the mobo all behind the bays. That leaves nearly 3.8" for a wire channel between mobo and bays, and for padding. Reserve two 5.25" bays for the PSU, or better get a 1U supply that takes only 1 bay (but is 10" deep).

14" tall
    mobo = 12.3" including clearance, that leaves 1.7" for padding
    7x 5.25"bay (1.7" ea) = 11.9", 0.4" strip with front panel controls and to match height of mobo

9" wide
    mobo+stand-offs+cards <5" , fits with lots of padding
    5.25" drive bay = 5.9" at the bezel, fits with lots of padding

Looks like you are in business. Try to get one of those removable HDD tray things for mounting the HDDs that gives you instant protection and saves you the hassle of making special bays for them. CD/DVD are a lot more forgiving.

Good luck

4. shomann

shomann Minimodder

You could also go with a 17" monitor with that internal dimension. Something like the the Samsung 172x (Newegg) would likely work. I have noticed throughout my searching that the internal height is key. I like the idea of the 1U PSU (like Turandot)

I like the look of those cases, I just need it to be deeper so I can "stack" my components :)

Those are the absolute external dimensions and it is tough to find a case that exactly meets that aside from the composite cases that give up too much internal room for my devious needs (here is an example, the Pelican 1510). I still think I will be OK though. I like the idea of the HDD mounts.

Thanks for the input guys!!!! :clap:

5. shomann

shomann Minimodder

Fun with SketchUp - Or a great way to kill a beautiful Sat afternoon

OK, so I was messing around with sketchup earlier today and attached is my first model with it. I have a great many more ideas and features I want to see incorporated into the final design, but I feel this is a good starting point. Thanks to all who pre-rendered the very well-done sketchup models I used in this :D

Comments always welcome!

[​IMG]

6. shomann

shomann Minimodder

:duh:

I realized that no one would have any idea what case the case above is based on. The case above is the internal dimensions of a Pelican 1550.

Pelican 1550
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 10 Apr 2005
  7. ken0009

ken0009 What's a Dremel?

Yeah, those Pellicases are really tough ones. :wallbash:
    We use them at work for audiovisual stuff too , they are unbreakable ! :thumb: Good choice

8. nick01

nick01 What's a Dremel?

There is a big slit for the keyboard at the bottom. Is it a good idea to break the integrity of the case that way? Keyboard/mouse storage in the lid behind the screen may be safer, even if there is less protection. Keyboards are cheaper and sturdier anyway.
    The CPU cooler can put severe strain on the mobo when it bounces around. If you can make it mod the CPU heatsink so you can screw in standoffs from underneath. Use those to to hold the mobo in that area. Eliminate the screws along the north edge of the mobo (locations, F, J, M in ATX standard Rev. 2.1 figure 2).
    If you have the height available put the mobo on 1.25" or 1.50" Nylon standoffs. Those add a little springiness. You can use the space between mobo and tray to mount the HDDs, at least 2 will fit.

9. shomann

shomann Minimodder

As do we :rock: thanks!

The keyboard area will be a drawer type arrangement. There is NO room behind the screen and I expect to permentantly mount it to the lid. Right now the front runner, the Dell 20" 2005 FPW, apparently will fit height and width-wise in the lid (but barely) but I am sure the depth will be questionable. The sketchup doesn't really show the supports I have planned for, but with the combination of 1/2" square tube for support for 2 cut-to-fit aluminum ~5mm thick support plates, I think the structural integrity will be OK. I really want to make the keyboard area of the build work, but I am formulating a backup plan just in case :D .

Excellent suggestions in the mounting and securing of the mobo - I am taking them to heart. The standoffs you mentioned will be too tall, but I will cross that bridge when I come to it. I considered making a sleeve for the heatsink that would extend down from the bottom of the upper plate that would keep it from "tumbling" into the case if it broke from its mounts.

This case borrows quite alot from scifikg's Pelican mod. If I were to remove one-tier in my design, I would shoot for something like this. It has also been suggested (at least regarding scifikg's case) that it would be great to capitalize on the Pelican's natural waterproof ability. I agree, but without reducing the specs on the hardware, I don't see how it could be done safely.

Here's another angle just in case anyone is curious. Thanks guys! :rock:

[​IMG]

10. DrDing

DrDing What's a Dremel?

it's been a couple months...any progress?

11. shomann

shomann Minimodder

This project is on hold for budgetary reasons :-D

Also, I am not sure that using a Pelican case is the best choice. I think an aluminum case ala Zero Halliburton (or similar) would be better for heat dissipation (and cool factor). The next update for this project will be in the project log section - once I get it rolling.