1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Grounding a wooden computer case

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Computer Gremlin, 21 Oct 2007.

1. Computer Gremlin

Computer Gremlin What's a Dremel?

I just finished a wooden computer case and don't know how to ground it. Would attaching a wire to the underside of each peg holding the motherboard and leaving it outside the case on a piece of aluminum be enough? Do the 5.25" bays and hard drives need to be grounded as well?

To insulate the motherboard the pegs have double rubber washers and nylon spacers. The bolts holding the motherboard tray are coated in silicone sealant and the hard drives have solid rubber mounts.

A search of the forums did not work.

2. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

The power supply case will already be grounded through the 3-pin mains connector, and through that all the 0V lines to drives, motherboard, etc. I've not heard of any special extra wiring in clear plastic cases, but maybe somebody with one can comment.

If you're worried about EMI radiation through the wood, you'd need to line it with foil (or make a foil apron). ;)

3. Computer Gremlin

It's good to know the case won't fry the hardware. The power supply is made by Seasonic so it should not pose any grounding problems. As for the EMI radiation the case is made from quarter inch thick hardwood and all the panels are lined with masionite.

4. DonCorleone76

DonCorleone76 Modmaster deluxe

I for one think you don't actually have to ground anything as long as you connect the psu with a 3-wire connector and plug off-course. For example: on my floor atm there is lying a mobo with psu and hdd en dvd attached and it has been there running for 6 weeks now and there nothing wrong with it so far.:clap:

So if it's in a wooden case i don't think you have to worry about it not being grounded the right way,

BTW, you have pictures?:dremel:

5. 8igdave

8igdave Counting down the days to November!

What is EMI radiation and what does it do?

6. Computer Gremlin

Here are some pictures of the case. No hardware in it yet. As for the importance of EMI radiation it is no much be be concerned about. Sometimes a bad power supply or UPS will disrupt your radio if they are badly made.

Front
    [​IMG]

Sides open
    [​IMG]

Front open
    [​IMG]

Back
    [​IMG]

7. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

:jawdrop: do you have a project log for that?

8. Noob4ever

Noob4ever always learning

all that would really be needed to ground it, if you want to, would to either slap a bolt in the back somewhere or a small steel plate, quarter of an inch at most, just get it to some metal and from the metal into the wood, unless you get the case soaking wet I cant see how you could get any better with a setup like that if you have to have a ground