1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSU Grounding ITX PSU powerboard

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by defined, 16 Jul 2013.

1. defined

defined Botch-Job

so I bought a PSU for my upcomming ITX build from ebay, Ive never used these power supplies before and the seller informed me that i need to ground one of the cables onto the powerboard mounting hole as show below (green cable)

[​IMG]

now the case im going to be creating will be wood so will that mounting hole provide adaquite grounding while the powerboard is mounted onto wood?

I really have no idea when it comes to this, the only things ive ever grounded are car amplifiers to the chassis.

also does the powerboard need to be raised from the wood? and if so would i just use motherboard standoffs?

Thanks

2. Picky88

Picky88 What's a Dremel?

Well I guess you need to ground any metal parts that are going to be reachable when the project is complete. If it is literally all made of wood, then there is no need to ground it I dont think. I would attach the lead anyway just in case the board chooses not to power on if no ground is detected. I'm sure there must be one or two electricians on this board, I would imagine they can advise in more detail.

3. ARM

ARM Minimodder

I would say that the green wire should be connected to the 'earth' on your 3 pin mains plug, that would be sufficient ground. Your motherboard would be be connected to ground from the psu ground wires.
    It is recommended that you raise the PSU board using standoffs - it allows for air to circulate below it.

4. defined

defined Botch-Job

the green wire is coming from the plug already

[​IMG]

(not my pic)

a laptop style charger plugs into the other end of it

Last edited: 17 Jul 2013
  5. Picky88

Picky88 What's a Dremel?

I would put the green wire under a bolt holding the board to your project. If any part of your project has for example a metal panel somewhere on the outside, then you would want another green wire running from it to the same bolt. As it sounds like you will only be using wood, there is no need to "ground" the wood as it is an insulator anyway and it wouldnt make any difference if it is grounded or not.

6. defined

defined Botch-Job

I appreciate the info, thanks