1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows GSC closing its doors?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by spectre456, 10 Dec 2011.

1. spectre456

spectre456 What's a Dremel?

Source

Seems confirmed. If so then i'm very, very sad.:(

Maybe THQ can pick it up and get 4A games to finish off stalker 2.

2. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Do not want. As much as i liked Metro, Stalker had a very distinct down to earth atmosphere and i'm not sure if 4A can pull off the same.

If this is really the end, then i hope they release the current build of staker 2 so the fans can finish it, like they did with the original pre-SOC game.

3. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

DO NOT WANT

4. Arkanrais

Arkanrais What's a Dremel?

Now I'm going to be depressed for the rest of the year. I was really looking forward to S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 and I love the other S.T.A.L.K.E.R.s so much I've bought 4 extra copies of SoC, 1 of CS and 3 of CoP and given them to friends as well as buying 3 for myself.
    I've played through SoC some 13 times (on 14th playthrough with a new TV), CS about 4 times and CoP about 8.

If it's any consolation, here are a few leaked concept art from STALKER 2: http://blog.ascian.me/2011/12/leaked-screenshots-concept-art-and.html

5. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

I've not yet gotten around to actually playing the Stalker games, the initial bugfest release feedback put me off for a very long time and simply never bothered due to time constraints this year.

It's sad to see a dev team go like this when the games were genuinely held in such high regard by the fanbase as well as people who had only sampled it. Additionally, looking at the support that the game got from the fan community shows how solid they were in supporting it too.

I guess it's a bit too much to hope for a comeback, but at least they have a legacy of sorts out on the market.

6. Dwarfer

Dwarfer What's a Dremel?

Stalker combined with the Complete MOD will keep you hook!

http://www.moddb.com/mods/stalker-complete-2009

7. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

I has a sad. v.v

8. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

9. spectre456

Members of GSC left to form 4A games. Besides, THQ published the first stalker. Seems like the best choice. Better than having Epic pick it up to fatten all the Russians up then put chest high walls everywhere for example.

10. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

11. Tongue-of-Fire

Tongue-of-Fire What's a Dremel?

It's always sad to see developers leave the industry. Can't say I've played much S.T.A.L.K.E.R. though. Seems like I should probably give it a look but it's going to take years to get through all the games I really like the look of. I should have started PC gaming earlier...

12. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

Not played a game of theirs I've liked but this is still bad news.

13. Kiytan

Kiytan Shiny

Damn, Loved the stalker games (SoC with oblivion lost 2009 still looks really good, and plays brilliantly)

I also really enjoyed cossacks (didn't play II) which was a pretty fun RTS, one of the first RTS games I played where just about everything had upkeep costs, running your dragoons through an enemy city to do a quick attack...only to find you have no bullets left...

14. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Yeah, and yet, look at Metro. It looks very fantasy-esque, which is fair enough considering it's based on a book. But the aesthetics easily could have been a lot more gritty and eastern europe-ish.

Maybe it's the influence of the book, maybe the fact that they had to make the console version still look good, or maybe it's just them, we really can't tell. Just because a game comes out a certain way doesn't mean every single dev that worked on it would have gone with that style. This is true in both directions so you might be right.

Lol.

I wonder how close the game is to being finished. I mean, if most of the mechanics and visual assets are in place and it's not worth backtracking on development anymore, then basically any studio can finish it up.

15. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

This really sucks. I spent an unhealthy amount of time playing STALKER and Clear Sky. Never got around to CoP. I remember how much I hated the game at first. I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn and I seemed to die so fast from the most inane things. Then I started to learn how to play methodically, aim, go for head shots and suddenly the game opened up for me and became so much more fun. I still remember clearing out the Garbage warehouse. Nothing but my basic gear and some crappy weapons with 20+ enemies to take out. It was extremely difficult, but very rewarding once I had finally done it.

16. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Loved cossacks, no other game came close when it came to naval warfare IMO!

Also a big fan of cossacks 2, even though it took me a while to get over the fact ships had been pretty much taken out of the game, it's quite a niche game, due to it's relatively slow pace, but I love it!

Sad to hear :(

17. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

I'm also sad at the prospect of new Stalker games bot being done by GSC. For me they were the last bastion of truly hard games, Shadow of Chernobyl kicked my ass for months. It's easiest setting is twice as hard as and COD's hardest setting and that's just one of the things that made them great.

18. spectre456

Metro is a very different game in terms of pacing and structure but if you look at the atmosphere and Russian roots then you can see that some of 4A games' work on Stalker carried over to metro. To me, they would be the next best candidate to carry the candle.

On another note. Maybe we could turn our attention the Lost Alpha mod. I'd say this is the next best thing for Stalker fans wanting some more Zone goodness.

http://www.dezowave.com/

19. Zeus-Nolan

Zeus-Nolan Minimodder

The first 2 were my first games I played on my "modern" PC back in early 2009 so I have so much love for them, this is just sad :(

20. spectre456

Brings back memories of when i played SoC back in '08 :waah: