1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GTS fan

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mulberrycrush, 20 Feb 2002.

1. mulberrycrush

mulberrycrush Minimodder

Hi all,
    I have a Geforce GTS by Creative, i want to replece the heatsink and fan, but it is glued on, i have AS thermal adesive, and a couple of nice heatsinks and fans, but how to i get it off?
    got ramheatsinks in place, now i just need a better GPU cooler?
    is there and article about this, or does andbody know
    Thanx

2. jamiesurfs

jamiesurfs Boom Boom, Cha Cha Cha!

OK, without taking responsibility if it goes wrong!............ Put the card in an anti static bag and stick it in the Freezer for half an hour. Take it out, and with a piece of thick card under a screwdriver or similar (so you don't damage any part of the board or its components) lever the fan off very carefully!

3. mulberrycrush

mulberrycrush Minimodder

thanks, but how safe is it?
    1 to 10, 1 being the most dangerous
    thanx
    :eek:

4. GT3_GOD

GT3_GOD What's a Dremel?

5. mulberrycrush

mulberrycrush Minimodder

ok

thanks
    :D

6. Forsaken

Forsaken GameFaction.com

duh posted in wrong tread

Last edited: 20 Feb 2002
  7. IsaacSibson

IsaacSibson Banned

wwaaaaiiiiitttttt!!!!

I did exactly this mod to exactly this card.

The best way to do this is with freezer trick V2.0. Go to your local camera shop or hardware shop (eg B&Q), and get an air blower can. This is a can of compressed stuff, that is released as a gas when you press the button on the can, for blowing dust out of things, etc. However, turn the can upside, and it will fire the stuff out as a liquid. It's cold. VERY cold. It evaporates very fast, and will leave the heatsink at several degrees below zero.

Once you've frozen things, whichever way you do it, put something on the card to protect it (an old credit card or something) and slide this all the way under the heatsink, so that any place on the card that you might use for leverage will be covered. Then slide a flat-head screwdriver over this, under the heatsink. Give the screwdriver a twist, and the heatsink should just pop off.

If this destroys anything, I take no responsibility, but I view it as a safer method than the freezer trick V1.0

8. MentalPhr34k

MentalPhr34k Modding Phr34k

i did it v1.0, with exactly the same card by creative.... just lob it in the freezer and then u can basically just pull it off..... i used an old 133mhz chip cooler and it works a treat........

9. brianpodskalny

brianpodskalny ladies night!

ive heard that if you play quake 3 for a few hours the heat built up will loosen the glue.

if i were you i would try to do that first. i remember someone broke their card once using the freezer method.