1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics GTX 1660 vs RX580

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by superego, 11 Jul 2019.

1. superego

superego Member

Howdy!

My recent research has led me to conclude that it's a safe bet to wait 6-12 months before I look at a new build. With that in mind, I'm going to bump up my graphics card and RAM to tide me over.

My current system is running on an Intel Core i5-2500K and a GTX 770 2GB with 8GB of DDR3 RAM.

I'm looking to go up to 16GB of RAM and also get a new GPU.

I've been looking at various GTX 1660's and more recently the RX580. Which of the two cards would you recommend, taking into consideration my CPU, existing RAM, potentially doubled to 16GB, and the upgrades intended timeframe and cost.

It is my understanding that at 1080p, my CPU is still very capable hence why I am happy to wait and see what the new tech on the horizon (ie Navi and the new Ryzen architecture) brings.

Thanks in advance.

Case: Antec 1200 | CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz | GPU: MSI nVidia GTX 770 Twin Frozr Lightning 2GB | Mobo: Asus P8Z 68-V LX | RAM: 8GB Corsair XMS3 |Cooler: BeQuiet DarkRock Advanced | PSU: Corsair 850W Modular

Last edited: 11 Jul 2019
  2. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

What do you use your rig for and what, if any, games do you play?

Depending on your usage, your CPU could tide you over but it depends on what you use it for. As a CPU upgrade will also mean motherboard and RAM, you are right to wait a little bit so see where the dust settles on the new Ryzen gear. You could get some more RAM cheaply second hand, there is no point in buying DDR3 new if you are going to have to replace it with DDR4 shortly.

Same goes for your GPU - if gaming then yes, a GPU upgrade makes good sense and is something that you can carry over to a new rig. What GPU you get will depend on what type of games you play.

Oh, and also budget?

3. superego

superego Member

I'm looking at as close to the £300 mark as possible. £350 at a stretch but the cheaper the better since this is only temporary. My intention is to either sell on the card when I do my new build next year or use it in a low-cost build for my wife.

Main use is gaming. My current setup manages Fallout 76 okay but I'd like to bump up the visuals without killing the frame rate. I will be getting Atomic Heart the day it launches, and would like to get Metro Exodus ASAP, as well as Resident Evil 2 Remake and Monster Hunter World.

Current games I play regularly include Fallout 4 and Skyrim (not SE), both with lots of mods so load times are sometimes an issue. Factorio, Starcraft 2, Subnautica, Minecraft, Terraria, Darkest Dungeon, Witcher 3, the Stalker series. The list goes on.

I also use it for video encoding. I do some casual Let's Plays for an infinitesimal YouTube channel (recently popped the 100 sub mark woohoo!). But the rig is a gaming machine first and foremost, not a video editing suite.

Last edited: 11 Jul 2019
  4. superego

superego Member

Just checked and my current memory is 8GB 2x4G CMX8GX3M2A1600C9 XMS3. So another 2 x 4GB on ebay is going for approx £20-30 plus postage. If I bought a new set of 2 x 8GB it'd be approx £65 plus postage.

5. Anfield

Anfield Well-Known Member

The GTX 1660 is faster than the RX580 but also costs a bit more.
    The GTX 1660 is roughly the same performance and price as the RX590.

The AMD cards do burn through quite a bit more power, while your PSU is overkill for any of them there is of course the consideration of noise... and due to that the 1660 is going to win.

As for RAM, 8GB will have actual downsides, so going up to 16 would be good.

However is the whole idea of an interim upgrade worth it at all? In general I would say no... however, since you have the option to recycle that interim GPU for your wife I'd reckon go ahead.

6. Osgeld

Osgeld Active Member

AMD cards are cheaper, but yea they are space heaters (no experience with the brand new lineup)

my entire bump in the butt for building my current machine was my R7950 puking and XFX had a lifetime warranty on that model, back when cards still cost a pretty penny, they returned me a factory OC 570 4gb model in return for a 3 gig 7950

I ended up buying argus monitor so the case fans would react to the GPU temp and not just the CPU temp (which hardly hits anything noteworthy since its got an AIO) and I inverted the PSU to act as an exhaust, its not uncommon to see this 1200 something MHZ 570 hit into the 70's and I had to tell wattman to keep the GPU fans on at all the time (at low RPM) and assign a fairly steep GPU fan ramp

otherwise by the time the fans on the GPU even started I was at 50C and the case fans were running 200RPM in accordance with the 35c CPU temp and I was seeing 85C (or more) with out the side panel on ... keep in mind I have a matx case with very tight spacing but still, in my old FX system a 1050TI was like maxing at 50C in a 2014 era case on its own merit during marathon benchmarks

just did a quick plain firestrike with 2 120mm intakes, 135 psu fan and a 120 exaust in a 24 degree room with dual 90mm gpu fans running 75% on a RX570 clocked at 1290MHZ wanna take a guess what the core temp was before the end of the demo??

74C (drawing about 115 watts according to the driver overlay)

that's actually decent for AMD RX series so if you go AMD RX 4 or 5 series make sure you got some air

Last edited: 12 Jul 2019
  7. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Slightly off topic but are you aware that some of the Asus Strix cards have PWM fan controllers on the GPU, allowing you to link case fans to the GPU temp? My previous GTX1060 Strix had two PWM headers on the end of the card, just under the power socket. It might be the answer to your problem.

8. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

9. Osgeld

Osgeld Active Member

Argus momitor does the job and it was on sale like 11$ for 2 liscences with 3rys of updates

10. Jeff Hine

Jeff Hine Nothing special

11. The_Crapman

The_Crapman Don't phone it's just for fun.

When you say this is only temporary, why temporary? If it's just to tide you over till a bigger upgrade next year when you've saved more, why spend so much now on a new gpu? You'd get a massive boost in performance with a 980Ti and you can pick them up for about £130.

If you're set on a new gpu, wait a couple of weeks for the custom 5700 cards to come out and get one of them. It's the top end of your budget, but you might find it enough for your needs and not have to upgrade further.

12. Osgeld

Osgeld Active Member

My wife has a 980ti does pretty well for 1080p (it should it cost a pile of money when it was new)

Last edited: 14 Jul 2019
  13. The_Crapman

The_Crapman Don't phone it's just for fun.

I've been really pleased with the upgrade over my old 970. Division 2 was giving it a pasting with mid-thigh settings, but playing it with everything at max on the 980Ti and I get about 70fps.