1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics GTX 460 Appreciation Society - Plus VGA Cooling Thread!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Blogins, 13 Nov 2011.

1. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

It's one of the first cards that I can remember where review sites really pushed the advantage of overclocking the GTX 460 home. Makes you wonder if Nvidia downplayed the clocks to promote this buzz whilst marketing it below the 470/480!

Considering opening the window as well for some overclocking fun! :D

2. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

I don't actually think Nvidia realized just what a little gem they had. The 470 and the 480 as good as they are were hot and noisy. The 460 just sneaked in, it was quite, ran cool and spanked everything it it's price range.

As it stands right now, running them overclocked and in SLI, I can't see me up grading for a few years yet.

I had the GTX 9800 GX2 and that was a beast of a card, but it was also hotter than Satans arse after a turbo charged curry. Swapping to the 460's took my case temps down by about 15 degrees.

We need to change the name of this thread to the 460 appreciation society..lol

3. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

The only reason I'll be upgrading is if some games that actually tax it turn up(not including BF3) or Nvidia/AMD release a series of good value cards that haven't got the OGL performance nerfed.

4. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

The 480 yes, but not the 470 - comparing my 460 with the Thermalright HR03GT to my 470 with modified stock cooler, the 470 was a hell of a lot faster and ran cooler (75C max compared to 80C max on my 460). I REALLY miss my 470 and only sold it because at the time I didn't see myself getting a 30" monitor in the near future and 470 was overkill for 24"... in saying that, 460 SLI cost me £20 less than a single 470. :thumb:

We need to change the name of this thread to the 460 appreciation society..lol

SECONDED :D

5. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

More people need to find this thread and update their GV-N460OC-1GI BIOS to F3! :D

Looks like I got to wait for a direct replacement AX850 from SCAN which is fair enough. Damned inconvenience it's not currently in stock though. At least it gives me a chance to play some Gemini Rue on my low tech 680i, E8500, Geforce 210!

6. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

So I got an Enermax Galaxy 850W PSU as a stop gap measure in my case as I wait for my replacement Corsair AX850. This means reduced cooling due to a missing bottom fan because the Galaxy is massive! Plus loads of cable clutter.

Tried a GTX 460 SLI overclock and I got 880MHz on the core 1760MHz Shaders and 1900MHz on the memory (MSI Afterburner settings!) with the maximum 1.087v. Top card is at 86 degrees under stress and the bottom is 67. So far 10 minutes stable using FurMark Multi-GPU and counting.

7. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Hot on my heels Blogins :D I'm sure you'll surpass 900MHz core with that voltage.

8. bulldogjeff

I can squeze 950 out of mine, temps are not a prob, any higher and I'll need more voltage to get stable. I might try dropping the Mem clock and see if that helps. It runns out of steam at 2002MHz

9. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Try it with mem at stock and see how that affects your actual performance - 950 is insane, all the same. For me, the performance gain for mem OC just isn't worth it, and since core and shader OC together, it makes GPU tweaking a lot more fun :D

10. bulldogjeff

You can split the core and the shader, I found the core doesn't like to go up, but the shader can be tickled into going up on it's own. Didn't make a lot of difference, but it was only a quick tester to see what happens. Could be worth a go for getting every last bit of performance out of the card.

11. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Also I did try Fraps in Battlefield 3 with my 850MHz core overclock and in wide open spaces I got a solid 60FPS at a resolution of 2560 by 1440. In more built up situations with a little action I did get the odd dip around 25FPS but more commonly around the 45FPS mark. Pretty decent jump from my regular 810MHz overclock :thumb:

12. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

885MHz on the core 1770 MHz Shaders 1800MHz Memory. I beat you by 1MHz sir

/Blogins throws down his gloves in front of LennyRhys :D

13. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Back when I first got these two GTX 460 I put the best overclocker in my primary slot because it just makes sense for non-SLI games! So I've switched off the SLI and my primary card overclocks to 900MHz core 1800MHz Shader and the regular 1800MHz Memory (again via MSI Afterburner) on 1.087v with a temperature of 80 degrees. Really impressed and that's stressed under FurMark, next stop is Battlefield 3 on a single card! :D

LennyRhys likes this.
  14. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Yeah both my Palits can do 900MHz stable, but that's a tall order with SLI enabled. I'll see what I can do when my new CPU gets here - I'll be shooting for the stars with Futuremark so perhaps 886MHz is on the cards, just to beat you :D :D :D

15. bulldogjeff

I've just noticed the name change...wooohooo...lol

16. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

I tried 905MHz on the core but it crashed out to 2D clocks! Lowered the Memory to 1700MHZ and it now works at 905MHz just fine. So there is something in what I've been reading about the memory holding it back as you pointed out earlier.

EDIT: Maybe spoke to soon it crashed out again but it did last longer, perhaps dropping the memory even further might help! :D

17. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

What are your clock speeds - bclk and CPU? If you're overclocked, you might need more PCIE chipset voltage for stability, because the throughput with overclocked graphics cards is very high. :thumb:

18. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

100 and overclocked to 4.5GHz on the CPU. I am flicking through my motherboards manual right now. Couldn't see much to do with PCIE chipset voltage in the BIOS. Must be under some funky name ASUS have given it to make it sound important and completely uninformative!

19. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

The options might not be there - some boards have more comprehensive voltage control than others. In my BIOS these control options are "IOH PCIE Voltage" for northbridge and "ICH PCIE Voltage" for southbridge.

20. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Can't see any options. I've settled on 850MHz core 1.050v for my happy SLI setting in games, well pleased! :D

Also according to 3DMark11 I'm in the top 4 in the world for my configuration!