1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics GTX 460 Appreciation Society - Plus VGA Cooling Thread!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Blogins, 13 Nov 2011.

1. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

You should try a vantage run with your highest GPU clocks and see what you get - the 2500K lowers the score a bit because it's not hyperthreaded.

I lowered my GPU cores to 800MHz, dropped in a hexcore £700 CPU at 4.5GHz, and the overall benchmark score went up by 1200 marks LOL. When I get the right outside temps I'm gonna see if I can bench Vantage at 5GHz with my max GPU clocks. :thumb:

[​IMG]

2. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Just installed the trial version of 3DMark Vantage and I got the following scores...

715 Core = P25572

890 Core = P29051

I'm pretty made up about installing a Gelid Solutions Icy Vision Graphics Card Cooler on my top GTX 460 SLI card to see if it can bring temperatures in line with the bottom card. I like the fact it can be connected and controlled from the graphics card itself straight out of the box.

3. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

I'd definitely go for it if you can - you'll probably find that the top card becomes cooler than the bottom. When I bench Vantage at 884MHz with 1087mV, my top card (with Thermalright cooler and two low rpm fans) doesn't go over 58C and the bottom card maxes out at 71C with 80% fan speed. This is with cool air of about 10C tho... normally the cards are about 70C top, 80C+ bottom.

I'm making some changes to my system after much deliberation - my best Vantage score so far is 33735 at 4.7GHz on the CPU. I can bench 5GHz but am going to do a clean install of Windows first and get the latest Nvidia drivers to see if I can break 34K. :thumb:

4. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Managed to get 3DMark Vantage Advanced Edition for just over a tenner because they messed up their on-line ordering system so I took full advantage of that! With a little bit of luck my Icy Vision VGA cooler will arrive tomorrow so I can get to work. I really like the look of this thing...

[​IMG]

From the pictures they appear to be substantial heatpipes and five of them in total so it should be capable of offloading a good deal of thermal output. If it does then I'll risk cranking up the voltage a few more steps and try to match or even break that 900MHz barrier.

5. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

One advantage these coolers have over stock coolers is no stupid plastic shroud - my GTX 470 had the shroud and after I took removed it temps went down at least 5C. I think that's one reason why the HR03 does so well - it's a very open design... but the compromise is that it takes up TONS of space.

6. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

This thread makes me want to swap my 470 for some 460s. I feel left out :( lol Was it quite easy to get the shroud off your 470 LennyRhys?

/thread derail

7. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Could always do something silly if the fans dont cool enough, Sli is not an option though!

[​IMG]

8. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

With the right tools I could make it work in SLI! Also radical MOD legoman! :D

Actually curious to try this in passive mode just for kicks. I have a 3-PIN fan header switch destined for elsewhere but I could test it out on my GTX 460 just to see how it handles temperatures without the fans on! Got the cooler delivered today (Royal Mail are really efficient for this Christmas!) so I shall do a little basic testing to make sure airflow is satisfactory before installing it on the GTX 460.

9. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

I wouldn't even attempt to run a GPU passively. They are just not designed that way. Even if it did run ok overclocking would be a complete non starter

10. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

It was very easy - first, removing the stock cooler (which contained the RAM/VRM plate, the main heatpipe cooler assembly, and the shroud for the two fans) and then unscrewing the shroud from the underside of the RAM/VRM plate.

It's actually one of the best 470 coolers IMO, probably similar in performance to the Twin Frozr as long as it has a decent sized fan on it - I used a 120mm.

noizdaemon666 likes this.
  11. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Absolutely! I would only attempt to turn off the fans whilst the GPU is idle to observe how well the Gelid heatsink handles temperature by itself. Maybe nudge the GTX 460 at stock settings a little bit but nothing too stressful! :D

12. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

13. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Honestly it wont, takes out a total of 4 slots so unless you have very wide spacing no chance. Also passive is a bit no no you need the fans to move the heat trust me

14. Sheiken

Sheiken Wat?

Well I am feeling left out! I dont want that, so I am joining anyway!

It seems that the GTX 560 is following in its brother's footsteeps....which is good.

I have been playing around with my gainward gtx 560 phantom, and so far it is very promising to say the least.

It currently resides in my TINY Lian Li PC-Q11B. Airflow is sparse so the cooler has to work VERY hard and the card reached 97*c during my last stress testing session.

Probably due to this, although I haven't had a look myself yet:

Warning: TERRIBLE music!

The bottom of the cooler has a concave finish, which is no good. Although as I said, I dont know if it is the same with mine, but judging by the temperatures I suspect is just as bad.

So far at stock voltages:

951mhz core / 822mhz stock
    1902mhz shader / 1645mhz stock
    2106mhz mem / 2020mhz stock

All of this with a badly seated cooler and stock volts in a mini-itx case! :clap:

With the plexi sidepanel that I am having cut with additional fan mounts and lapping the cooler, I expect to breach the 1ghz barrier! :rock:

15. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Palit and Gainward have great chips but make poor use of them!

Took the Gelid Icy Vision for a spin in-situ and I'm impressed. The fans give excellent airflow, although they are audible at 100% it's not irritating. However lower this down to 50% and the fans do emit a slight whine, thankfully when placed in the top down position it's greatly diminished. I hope this initial impression translates well when installed on my top GTX 460. Tomorrows little project! :D

16. thelaw

thelaw What's a Dremel?

Look forward to the "cool" results, where did you get it from/how much?

17. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

Goddamn it, I can't compete with SLI, even with your cards at 715MHz and mine at 940MHz(I can only crank out P21614, with a GPU score of 18182 :( )

18. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

I need to bench mine and see what they can do, with high overclocks

19. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Picture log of the heatsink change. Unfortunately it didn't do much for my temperatures and in fact was unstable at the 890MHz overclock which the stock Gigabyte heatsink could handle. Was worth a shot anyway!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]