1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GTX 570 PPD has come done overnight...

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by SazBard, 18 May 2011.

1. SazBard

SazBard 10 PRINT "C64 FTW"

I recently started folding again because I purchased a GTX 570.

Initially it was working at about 12-13k PPD, but I've noticed that last night and this morning it has dropped significantly to 6k PPD. Why is this? Is it just working on a tough WU at the moment or have I missed some setting out somewhere?

I have set the CPU client to idle and GPU to low priorities, and just this minute I have just re-started the CPU client with SMP -3 flag to see if my cpu is hogging the GPU. But I don't think it is because everything was working fine for a few days at around 20K PPD.

Cheers.

2. Lankuzo

Lankuzo CPC Refugee

Card may be running in 2d mode. Download gpu-z and see what speed your card is running at.

I've not seen a work unit that tough on a gpu.

3. SazBard

Yep just downloaded it and it appears you are right... On sensors tab it says:

GPU Core Clock - 405Mhz
    GPU Memory Clock - 162Mhz
    GPU Shader Clock - 810Mhz

I've set the GPU clock to 775Mhz using MSI afterburner so I'm not sure why its so low!?
    How do i get it back up to speed.

Cheers.

4. Lankuzo

Lankuzo CPC Refugee

Reboot

5. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

ease off on the OC, the reason it's going down to 2d mode is because the card is over heating [or the drivers think it is], as lankuzo said it wont return to normal unless you reboot.

6. SazBard

I closed down the GPU client, and tried to start it up again but it wouldn't fold and kept informing me "Client Died".

Anyway yes you are both right just done a reboot and it is back to normal PPD, however I don't understand why it would think it is overheating as it is sitting at about 75°C which is 10°C less than if I use the default fan profile and it was folding OK at that temp also...

Ideally then what temperature should I be aiming to keep the GPU at?

Thanks for the help :)

7. Leroyingo

Leroyingo What's a Dremel?

I run the smp client and 2 GPU clients on 2 x GTX 275 and every now and again they slow right down. No idea why, but yeah the reboot always gets them back on track.

8. Lankuzo

Lankuzo CPC Refugee

It's just your overclock failing. Try upping the volts or lower the clocks.

9. SazBard

Done. lowered to 750.
    Plus there is more drama. My CPU client went crazy and seemed to have stopped folding, on investigation it was only using 25% CPU. I added the -smp 4 and it seems to be OK again.

Weird.

Thanks all for your help.

10. holzj17

holzj17 What's a Dremel?

go into the nvidia control panel, then manage 3d settings, and change power management to 'prefer maximum performance'

i have had to do that with my pc as it drops down to 2d clocks and ur ppd goes down the drain

11. SazBard

Done!

Both GPU and CPU clients have been going great since... 19.5K PPD according to HFM.NET. I'm very chuffed but my GTX makes a horrible high pitched whining noise continually when it is working. Apparently this is a well known issue with some of them but trust me to get one that does it!

12. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

Very common issue. I've switched GPUs countless times but for some reason the original Crysis gets a whine out of all of them!

13. Lankuzo

Lankuzo CPC Refugee

My current card is the only one I've had that doesn't whine at all (had about 5 nvidia cards)

14. Leroyingo

Leroyingo What's a Dremel?

You need plenty of cooling to help stop the whining. If the cards are cooled well the fan speeds dont ramp up and theres less noise. I have an old CM830 case and have 2x 120mm fans directly over my cards to help them. Keeps the GPU fans at about 40% while running at max load folding.