1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics GTX 580 hits 90°C during gaming

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SonnyJim, 29 Oct 2012.

1. SonnyJim

SonnyJim Member

Evening everyone.

I am having a heat issue with my graphics card. Basically, when playing Skyrim, my card gets really hot. I have the fan profile on Afterburner at 70% but this doesn't seem to help.

I'm using the ENB series graphic enhancement, so I can't have Afterburner, Precision, or any other monitoring software running, or my game will crash. I've got these temps from reading HWMonitor, which I have running in the background. I've also changed the TIM.

I was planning on adding another 580 to my setup. Instead, I'm probably going to sell unless someone can help.

2. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Increase the fanspeed more?

3. Shirty

Shirty Time travelling rogue Super Moderator

That's not an unusually high temperature for your card at full load. Leave the fan speed on auto and let the firmware worry about keeping it cool.

4. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

^ This. My reference GTX 580 hits 86C when gaming, in a well cooled case, and I don't use Afterburner or any other form of fan control - just stock. The temp drops rapidly when I close the game.

Sounds normal for that card.

You tried a 120mm fan on the side intake of your CoolerMaster case?

5. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

The only time I can think you want to control the GPU fan, is to set it to lower than 40%, which is the minimum the firmware will take the GPU fan. So those who have a very well cooled computer, no mater the GPU temp, it won't go lower than 40%. I force mine to 30%, which makes my computer so much quieter compared to 40%.

6. YEHBABY

YEHBABY RIP Tel

Yeah the reference design does get hot. That's why I went for one with a good cooler. The most mine goes up to is 62C, plus it's very quiet.

7. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Active Member

I have the EVGA version of the GTX 580 and when playing the witcher 2 GPUz reports temps of 89-90c. I have noticed with games where the GPU load is 99% the temps are normally at that mark even with a fan speed of 70%.

8. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Anyway, I see nothing of concern here. GPU's can go up to 105 C, where after that level the GPU overheating system kicks in.

9. Lankuzo

Lankuzo CPC Refugee

I have often seen my card reach 80-85 at 100% load with fans at around 70%. Any higher fan speeds and I'm scared the whole thing will start flying.
    My suggestion would be, add another fan to the side of your case feeding it with cool air or watercool the thing.
    Just did mine and temps never go above 42c

10. Snubbs

Snubbs CustomPC Migration victim....

When I was using the stock cooler on mine, I found a TIM replacement reduced my temps by around 5-10C.

Just be careful when disassembling.

I've since got the Arctic Cooling 3 fan HSF on it and it normally sits around 60C when gaming on long sessions

11. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

An aftermarket cooler should sort the problem for you, more fans in the case might bring you down a few degrees but its no substitute for a better cooler

12. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Well-Known Member

How much is one of them replacement coolers (i have the reference one atm)?

Mine hits ridiculous temps all the time, same as everyone else, I use the fan management to keep the fan at 40% up to 40 C, and up to 50% at 60 C, then 70% only when it gets to 80 C. Makes it much quieter for light gaming, and keeps it quieter for longer when heavy gaming. Not too far off the stock settings but makes a nice difference in sound.

Running in an Antec 1200 with 5x120mm fans and the 200mm fan all on lowest setting (3 front fans below lowest setting via fan controller)

13. Picarro

Picarro New Member

If its an old card get it cleaned. Dust might add a couple of degress to your card.

14. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

15. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Active Member

Indeed, I have noticed no performance impact at higher temps. I did wonder if t might lessen the life of the GPU but have been lead to believe that 90c under heavy load is fairly normal for this model of card.

I have fairly reasonable case cooling im terms of number of fans but god knows if i have set them up optimally.

16. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Well-Known Member

17. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Delta T does indeed mean the temperature above ambient at the time of the test. If the ambient was 20C when tested then a delta T of 55C means a temp of 75C etc.

I have one of the Gelid Icy Vision coolers for my GTX 580 but I haven't used it, I don't really see the need right now.

A lot of reviews of the Gelid have it taming the GTX 480 with good noise results.

18. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

The Zalman (v1000 I think?) is the same cooler they use on the Asus Direct CUII models which is excellent

19. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

20. mikemorton

mikemorton Member

I've used the Icy Vision on a GTX 480 and two 580s, and it does work, dropping temps a fair bit (15C IIRC).

But it turns the 580 into a triple-slot card, so make sure you have adequate space.

You may or may not need a dedicated torx screwdriver if you go this route and disassemble the card. My older 580 had slotted heads while the newer has torx.

There are some good YouTube vids which explain installation.