1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics GTX 580 vs GTX 66ti

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Invictus., 9 Jul 2013.

1. Invictus.

Invictus. Minimodder

As the title goes, I'm looking at a bit of an upgrade (sub £300) for HDD, CPU cooler and GPU so I'm now down to these 2 cards as the other parts are sorted.

As far as I can tell the ti is slightly faster in most benchmarks and draws less power but its £40 ish more. So the question is really is the ti worth the bit of extra money over the 580? I currently don't play too many games of which is the reason I've dropped from looking at a 770, to a 760 to a 660ti etc. The cards I'm looking at is the 3GB Twin Frozr 580 and the 2GB 660ti Power edition.

As said looking at a few benchmarks there seems to be only a few FPS in it in most games, so what sort of card would you all recommend? Go with the GTX 580 and save a bit or go for the ti?

edit - forgot to add my current card is a GTX 275 so am a fair bit behind in terms of GPU.

2. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

I would personally go with the newer card.

But i would also check reviews of the cooler to make sure either wasnt a noisy beast.

3. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

4. Invictus.

Invictus. Minimodder

Looking at the 760s again it would be £284 so cheaper than the 660ti for the PNY reference design one.

Normally I'd go for the most expensive one I could afford (so the 760) but I'm also in semi saving mode for my last year of uni, can afford all options in the next week with a fair few paychecks coming after it but its still a hard debate at the moment to justify spending the extra £30-40 as I'm not a huge gamer these days just wanting a bit of an upgrade from my 275 currently. So now the 760 can be had for cheaper is now 580 v 760 which is a bit of an easier question

5. ShakeyJake

ShakeyJake My name is actually 'Jack'.

Just went 760 myself after a long decision process to work out which card was the best value for money. Whilst I can't confess to being anything like a serious gamer I am extremely happy with the card. At 1080 it's doing brilliantly for pretty much everything I have thrown at it. Went with the Asus one, with the big custom cooler and the Windforce one is also highly recommended on review sites.

If nothing else, the fact that it is a newer generation means you'll get more money when you decide to sell it on.