1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics GTX275 SLi Vs 4890 Crossfire?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SpeedLegion, 8 Aug 2009.

1. SpeedLegion

SpeedLegion Minimodder

wow right thanks for the all the replies!

I think I will go with two 4890s then still for now, there seems no reason for me to justify the extra price for the gtx275s given I might not even bother with folding, which seems to be their only benefit?
    I do find the manufacturer loyalties amusing though :p why are so many people biased towards one or the other?
    I have gone Nvidia, ATI, Nvidia and now probs back to ATI lol!

Sniipe_dogg i want to see you sneaky cover for the bridge :p?

Is it worth going with this? http://www.ebuyer.com/product/169209#
    or should i just get http://www.ebuyer.com/product/167969 and add the extra clock speed myself?

2. JaredC01

JaredC01 Hardware Nut

Look at his Flow worklog. He's got the bridge cover shown off there.

3. SpeedLegion

SpeedLegion Minimodder

Ah ok cool yeah I see :) looks cool, I like the whole project had looked at it before, didn't put two an two together as being his >.<

Any thoughts on if the XXX edition is worth the extra money?

4. JaredC01

JaredC01 Hardware Nut

I was looking at the XXX edition as well for the color scheme... The core is overclocked 50MHz, which should be doable on pretty much any 4890 with the right tweaks. I would honestly say pick up a couple 'cheap' high-quality-manufacturer version of the 4890 based off the reference design (bios hacks for the card are based on the reference design), and tweak it a bit to run at 1GHz.

Also, you will more than likely want to remove the heat sink, clean the GPU and heatsink with some TIM remover, and apply some new TIM to the cards... Typically card manufacturers just glob the thermal paste on there. You can easily shave off a few degrees just by reapplying the paste.

5. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

The XXX is NOT worth the money.

However the Toxic and Vapor-X versions are worth it.

6. Zero_UK

Zero_UK What's a Dremel?

from the bittech review and others I've seen, the GTX 275 beats the 4890 by a small margin. However it all comes to pricing really. If for some extra fps you'll invest £10-30 more or save. But to be fair the GTX 275 can be overclocked to GTX 285 or more preformance - but of course ATI's cards can overclock well, just that they run hotter than nvidia usually.

7. numanoid

numanoid Minimodder

im using the saphire 4890 oc, and im well happy, gonna buy myself another one for crossfire, i wont tripple crossfire as ive read in a mag that there is no gain at all, ive been playing crysis at full settings with no trouble,(had a little misshap with the game crashing, but it was nothing to do with the graphic card )
    4890 all the way :D

Last edited: 9 Aug 2009
  8. SNiiPE_DoGG

SNiiPE_DoGG Engineering The Extreme

all XFX models have black pcb and 8+6-pin if you get the new stock

9. JaredC01

JaredC01 Hardware Nut

Wasn't aware of that SNiiPE... Looks like I can save a few bucks myself then.

Also, for those that keep talking about single cards, temps, and noise, I say this...

The 4890 IN CROSSFIRE (which is the question of the OP) is on par with GTX 285 SLI, which beats the 275 in SLI. You can overclock the 275 to perform as well as the 285, but when you overclock the 4890 it's back to no contest.

Along with that, the 4890 runs COOLER AND QUIETER at load than the 275. It does, however, run warmer and consume more wattss at idle than the 275.

4890 hands down... This is coming from a non-fanboy for the record.

10. SpeedLegion

SpeedLegion Minimodder

4890 it is :p and I'll just get a reference one and OC it up to around 900-950Mhz or what ever seems like a decent stable OC without going to extremes :)
    Thanks everyone I appreciate the input :p the GTX275 just had me wavering but looks like it is a beaten card which is more expensive so zero point for me to get one :)

11. trig

trig god's little mistake

you're calling me ignorant? lol...ok, read your own post ... 2 x 4890's beat 2 x 285's...wrong.
    my post...gtx 285's perform better, but definitely not the best bang for buck...correct.

didn't see anywhere on sniipe's post where he said i was wrong, because that would be moronic when he posted a graph showing that i'm right. do you understand what the chart says? did you read the review? the gtx 285 sli combo wins more, and overall by a "mere" 3 % margin. which, in case you can't put 2 and 2 together, means the gtx 285 outperforms 2 x 4890's. also, 2 x 275's outperform 2 x 4890's. yes, the reviews are hard to find. but you can piece them together. i too do more research than the average bear, which is why i knew you were wrong.

that's what i get for trying to be polite lol...

wow...wrong...

and as for cooler running and quieter (LMAO), let's clarify...(from bit-tech review)
    Both the HD 4890 and the GTX 275 have plenty of cooling headroom for when (if, in our case) Summer arrives and the temperatures start to rise. Under load, the firmware on the GTX 275 dictates that the GPU can run at up to 90°C, and to achieve this the fan only spun at up to 55 percent speed.

ATI is more conservative with the operating temperature of the HD 4890, as under load the GPU never rose above 64°C with the fan spinning at a very noisy 36 percent (2,422 RPM).

Clarification
    While it's true that the HD 4890 GPU is relatively cool, the card itself is hot. The heatsinks, the cooler backplate, even the PCB - all are very hot to the touch.

Of course, the purpose of a heatsink is to get hot, but considering the loud fan and the jet of hot air that comes out the back of the HD 4890 card, it's disappointing that nowhere near all of the heat is being sucked from the card, and that the card is still radiating lots of heat into your case.

The GTX 275 meanwhile does a better job of getting the heat from the entire card out the rear vent, though obviously it's not a 100 percent success rate and the card does still get hot. However, the GTX 275 card doesn't get anywhere near as hot as the HD 4890 card.

12. SNiiPE_DoGG

you might as well be talking out of you ass trig, if you want to make a contest in this thread then post reviews, charts and proof of what you are saying, otherwise its just hearsay and ramblings.

I have already shown that 4890's come within the margin of error of 285's (cf vs SLI; 3% is a minuscule difference) so please tell me what you have to go against that

13. JaredC01

JaredC01 Hardware Nut

Yes I am calling you ignorant... This post only reinforces that. Where in my post did I say 2x 4890s beat 2x 285s? I said the 4890s scale better, which is true. I DID say the 4890 is ALMOST on par with the 285, I never said it beats it outright, even when both are overclocked.

You also stated the 275 outperforms the 4890, making it a better value, which is halfway accurate, but again when scaling to two cards, which I will re-state is what the OP is interested in, the 4890 beats it in pretty much every test, and is almost (theres that word again) on par with the 285 in SLI.

The reviews showing the 275 SLI beating the 4890 Crossfire MUST be hard to find, seeing how it's inaccurate. It's easy to find multiple reviews showing the 4890s beating the 275s though.

As for being 'nice' I don't consider your first post anything but arogant.

I will agree that at 'auto' settings of over 30% fan speed, the 4890 can be louder, though when manually configured the 4890 still runs cooler, while being quieter as well. As for the heat issue, the reference cooler for the ATI cards are known to be less effective than the nVidia cards, however, they still run cooler overall than the 275. I personally would rather the 4890 release some heat into the case if it means the GPU cores stay cooler. There is a reason cases have fans.

If you would like to continue this, take it to PM. The OP has made up his mind and the thread doesn't need any more arguing.

14. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

If you guys want to argue over the merits of these cards in formats other than the OP's interested in then please don't do it here unless you have something constructive to say (i.e advice).

it's all becoming too tl;dr

15. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

Indeed, these sorts of 'debates' always seem to start going round in circles before too long (which, incidentally, is why I generally avoid them).

Though from a consumer perspective it's great that there is such competition between the two brands, rather than there only being one option for those seeking the best performance.

16. JaredC01

JaredC01 Hardware Nut

Re-read the last line of my last post... ;)

17. Gooey_GUI

Gooey_GUI Wanted: Red Shirts

I found the thread somewhat useful as I get a grasp of current offerings in this arena. I'm trying to see which is cooler, faster, lower priced, and universal.

I also see the DirectX11 is coming up, and I may wait until prices drop further.

18. trig

trig god's little mistake

sigh...

cant argue with ignorance...i'll move on...

edit:
    didnt even see this post...lol...i dont have to post anything. 1300+ posts...people know i know what i am talking about...plus, you are posting it for me...but i digress...

Last edited: 10 Aug 2009
  19. JaredC01

JaredC01 Hardware Nut

Apparently a 'head-to-head' tie means the 4890's beat the 285's? At 1920 x 1200 resolution there is a less than 1% difference between the 4890's in Crossfire and the 285's in SLI, with the ever so slight advantage in favor of the 285's. I consider that head-to-head.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/gtx285sli-hd4890cf_16.html#sect0

Now, I DID say the 4890's in Crossfire flat out beat the 275's in SLI, which is 100% accurate. Yet again, you try to make me look like an idiot, but turn the tables on yourself and point out yet again that you're looking to argue, and not post the truth.

Also, you say you don't need to post any proof because of your post count? That really is the most ignorant thing you've said in this thread.

I'm done... The OP already has his answers, and this thread is finished. As I said if you want to continue arguing with me, take it to a PM.

20. SNiiPE_DoGG

OMG you've got 1,300 posts! Next time you call someone out for being stupid based on low post count do your research .

Get off your high horse and argue with facts, not slander.