1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Guildford studio Lionhead is closing down today

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by JakeTucker, 29 Apr 2016.

1. JakeTucker

JakeTucker Member

2. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

It's a real shame that they've had to close their doors, they've done some really good games in the past and Black & White is still one of my favourites. They sort of lost their mojo somewhere down the line of Fable games, it's a shame they couldn't put that series on hold to do much else... hopefully the team members will be able to find work with other studios around the country.

"Last month Microsoft announced they’d be cancelling Fable Legends last month" - I think you could take off one of the 'last month's in that sentence.

3. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

Is 22Cans the remnants of Lionhead Studios?

4. Scroome

Scroome Well-Known Member

I did a little digging and I'm pretty sure this isn't right, but Company Check says Lionshead's net worth is almost the same as my company.

Maybe I can wait a couple years and buy it......... ;)

5. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Active Member

Black and white was 15 years ago! Since then they have not made any decent games, it should not be surprise that a company not making good and/or popular games goes out of business...

7 out of the 13 games they are known for have been mostly awful fable games and 4 were black and white expansions or sequels with the final to being 'the movies'.

Molyneux has a history of over promising and under delivering, I really wish people would not treat this like some massive tragedy. It's overdue.

6. Scroome

Scroome Well-Known Member

I'm taking a wild guess here, but I'm guessing you weren't a fan of the Fable series?

Funny thing is, plenty were.

Hence why many think this is sad news.

Ones persons hate is another persons love.

7. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

I quite like the Fable series, they're a bit cheesy and simplistic but they weren't bad games... sure they weren't what were promised by Molyneux but as I didn't pay attention to any of those pre-release talks it didn't affect me.
    Fable 3 was a bit poor but I still got some enjoyment from it so it wasn't a total lost cause for me.

Other than actually liking their games, it's more sad for me because for a large portion of my youth I lived not too far from the studio and have met some of the team over more recent years at conventions.

8. Greentrident

Greentrident Active Member

Really used to enjoy the movies game. Wished they could remaster it!

9. SinxarKnights

SinxarKnights Member

Ah yeah that does suck! As some of the other older gamers, Black & White stood out for me. At the time it was a true masterpiece. I sure do have fond memories of smacking my cow pet around when he wouldn't listen! The gesture system was excellent and even on my crappy PC it ran fairly well.

The only Fable game I played was the first for Xbox. It was OK. I didn't really find it challenging though and never bought into the rest mainly because I didn't own the Xbox (it was my brothers). Hell I haven't owned a console since the PS1.

10. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Played a bit of one of the Black & White games and remember really enjoying it, then I definitely enjoyed The Movies, tried to pick it up recently and it's not overly easy to buy!

11. Greentrident

Greentrident Active Member

One for GOG?

12. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Would be great if Gog offered some of their games in the future.

Tags: Add Tags