1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Guitar Hero renders mice redundant?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 18 Jul 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Timmy_the_tortoise

Timmy_the_tortoise International Man of Awesome

Absolute bollocks.

3. Delphium

Delphium Eyefinity enabled

^ What he said ^

4. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

^What Timmeh said^

5. Jordan Wise

Jordan Wise Baby called to see the boss...

the technology section of the bbc news is an absolute joke, full stop

6. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

The BBC stopped using fact in their news articles decades ago.

7. pistol_pete

pistol_pete Air Cooled Fool

Sure, my Razer Deathadder is wetting it's little black rubberised pants at this news. Sure.

8. scarrmrcc

scarrmrcc What's a Dremel?

yep, i just finished playing half-life 2 using only a scanner cat (remember those stupid things?) and a guitar hero lespaul.

no mouse or keyboard for me....

9. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

*also agrees with Timmy_the_tortoise*

10. M4RTIN

M4RTIN What's a Dremel?

where do i get a dead mouse with a wheel in it? all i have here is a rabbit with a joystick in its back :-(

11. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

12. tech3312

tech3312 Where's my dremel o.0

COMPLETE ******** computer mouse had been evolving since the computer was made and will just continue to stay the same function the article about mice redudant COMPLETE BULLCRAP

13. Thacrudd

Thacrudd Where's the any key?!?

3-5 years? not quite. Reminds me of that Star Trek movie

14. knoj

knoj What's a Dremel?

The mouse didn't replace the keyboard... I don't think much will replace the mouse, we'll just have more things to buy and use.

15. Arkanrais

Arkanrais What's a Dremel?

yeah, I agree they're talking crap. not happening. you could replace your mouse with a touch screen, but how cheap is a mouse compared to a cheap touch sensitive tablet? let alone a freaking touch sensitive LCD, those things cost thousands for a 22" (and I'm currently eying up a 4x5.5" tablet for around $60. compare that to a cheap mouse for $10 or $20).
    in next weeks article; in 20 years time, everyone will be replacing their current limbs with artificial super limbs with built in cup holders and mini microwaves for heating pies on the go.

16. Cobalt

Cobalt What's a Dremel?

Actually replacing limbs isn't too far off. With all the soldiers injured by the iraq war, the American DoD is pouring a lot of money into prosthetic technology. Its getting to pretty advanced stages.

17. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Well I have a tablet and it wasn't that expensive, but I rarely use it, it's only any good if you actually holding the laptop like a pad of paper. Trying to use the touch screen while it's in the normal position isn't very practical and results in a sore arm after not long.

The mouse and keyboard can never be completely replaced, as good as tablets are, I would rather set it up like a regular laptop most of the time since I find typing much easier than writing.

18. SNIPERMikeUK

SNIPERMikeUK What's a Dremel?

If this is true I will eat a real mouse... Maybe we will finally get rid of the old PS2 ports on main boards as everything is geared towards USB now.

19. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

The cursory mention of Guitar Hero in that article hardly justifies the title of this news article :eyebrow:. The analysts seem much more interested in facial/gesture recognition technologies than guitar controllers.

20. Liquid K9

Liquid K9 Human programmer.. heh

dont you just love it when "experts" jump on the bandwaggon because of a new fad :rolleyes:

gestures have existed for ages, they arent a solution to the entire human-computer-interface paradigm. and neither is touch screen.

Human-Device-Interfacing is the most important, but least understood aspect of technology these days. companys are bought and sold on this alone - the ipod anyone? its not revolutionary, never really was, in any aspect other than being easy to use. The same comparison could be made for Microsoft Windows in the OS space.

I think its going to be a very long time before anything replaces the keyboard and/or mouse - and when it does happen, it'll be something ground breaking. not something thats been around for yonks, that nobody really cares about. And more importantly it'll work accross the board - touch screens and guestures may work for general computer use (internet, wordprocessing etc) but its nigh on useless for gaming.

Perhaps the next step is directly interfacing with a persons brain? its completely plausible, its already been done. But it would need to reach a point where the user doesnt have to wear a skullcap, undergo months of training, or have a chip implanted in their brain.

Tags: Add Tags