1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Gunk in you loop. this is why .....

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by mayhem, 3 Oct 2011.

1. mayhem

mayhem Owner of Mayhems

This is what happens when you introduce copper sulphate into a Glycol based premix.

[​IMG]

This is a test run by me trying to find out why some people presume dye is a problem and separates and ive always argued it should never separate.

So after a load of testing trying to find what causes the issue we finally got this result above.

1) Copper Sulphate introduced into a Premix of Glycol + Red dye
    2) Over a period of days the Glycol first separates
    3) Over a few more days the dye then separates
    4) Over a few more days it becomes a gloopy mass or as every one likes to call it "Gunk".

So this is real evidence as to one cause of so called "Gunk" and that's is a chemical chain reaction caused by copper sulphate being introduced into a Glycol based Coolant (or Pre-mix) with dyes.

I don't think seen any one on the net actually show this ever happening properly only blocks that have blocked up. Lots of people post OMG dyes have caused this with no explanation. so there is my explanation ....

Any way ive all so been doing many other tests with copper sulphate and tbh it has a lot to answer for and another one is dye + to much copper sulphate + inhibitors can cause the same to happen , All so to much copper Sulphate + dyes again can cause problems..

So as per the norm all ways follow manufacturers instructions on how much to use e.g 1 to 2 drops per Ltr not 1 to 2mls and NEVER mix copper sulphate in a Coolant / Pre-mix ...

So i am wrong that dyes should not separate... they obversely can (so i apologise), Do dyes cause blockages , well no they don't its a chemical reaction that has caused the blockage ...

Have fun discussing this ... this is just 1 test out of many i have been doing trying to find reasons for gunking.

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

What happens if you stir that mixture again? Not hard to imagine a stationary fluid separating and settling, but what about a fluid which is constantly being mixed?