1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant Guy claiming to be monk asking for donations?

Discussion in 'General' started by Rhydian, 15 Aug 2015.

1. Rhydian

Rhydian What's a Dremel?

So in town today, and a guy stopped me and told me he was a monk looking for donations.

First thing I said to myself is, "this guy is a scammer and defiantly not a monk".

I told him "sorry I can't donate", and he said "surely you have change". Proceeding to do the age old sales trick of grabbing something and showing the list of names and donations in an attempt that I would change my mind and do as everyone else has done.

As I walked away he even tried to persuade me by offering a book on meditation.

Clearly it's working for him, people just picking change out of their pockets and handing it to him. Probably raking in a fortune as well.

This was in wales but seems this is a common scam in new york as well having googled it, very very similar even down to the board of names.

Last edited: 15 Aug 2015
  2. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

New York!? Lucky guy!

3. Rhydian

Rhydian What's a Dremel?

This was in UK lol the scams seem to be popular in new York lol

Sorry should reword this

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

4. hyperion

hyperion Minimodder

Coulda been worse. At least he didn't grab you, kiss you and ask for a pound.

Speaking of which, I forgot to cancel the charity I signed up for. Still got time before they take first payment. I couldn't help it... I was leaving work, I was tired, I had my guard down, a pretty girl started talking to me and before I knew it I was signing on the dotted line :/

5. Rhydian

Rhydian What's a Dremel?

Dunno I wouldn't mind a pretty girl asking me to give her a pound in. [emoji14]

6. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

7. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

And that charity have paid over £150 to the chugger company to get you to sign up! Though I do believe it's more common these days for the chugger to 'just' receive every penny you give to the charity for the first 12 months and therefore if you cancel, it may be that the charity doesn't have to pay them.

IMHO chuggers shouldn't be used. If you want to give to charity then give DIRECTLY to the charity using their own website. Don't sign up for the payments using some guy on the street as the charity won't see all the money you think you're giving them.

8. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Last edited: 2 Jan 2018
  9. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

Reminds me of gypsies who push some flower in your face and demand money.

I had a similar guy in Canterbury trying to peddle me something similar. I said I only had about a quid, and he said he'd give me the book for it. went for it because I like to read religious texts and compare the stories and such. SOme of the mythologies are incredibly interesting - that and they're great source material.

10. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I remember them from my childhood and if you did not give them money they would curse you. Which does explain the much misfortune I have had in my life.

11. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

It might be worth reporting it. I think the police are currently trying to crack down on aggressive beggars.

12. Rhydian

Rhydian What's a Dremel?

Might be, if I see him again I'll give the local station a call.

13. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

Not to mention Begging is illegal in england anyway. The Vagrancy act of 1874 prohibits begging in a public place. Busking is okay if you have permission from the local council as it counts as a street performance rather than begging. I would think that pushy street gypsies and 'monks' asking for donations counts as begging.

14. notmeagain

notmeagain Minimodder

Nothing worse than encountering a chugger during rush hour.
    I'd be more inclined to talk to them if they:
    A) Weren't occupying the only path to or from the train station
    B) Weren't disrupting the flow of pedestrian traffic with their flailing outreaching, so that it forms a funnel/chokepoint of chugger interaction
    C) Not doing any of the above in peak times

They may be "working for a good cause", but you're getting in my way and I've had all of the social interaction i could give two f**ks about, the last thing I need is some pushy ****wit getting in my way with a polite smile and a "do you have a second to talk sir?" Go-F-Urself.

Ps. I hate Chuggers.

15. daveypro

daveypro Minimodder

for chuggers when I used to walk to kings cross from Tottenham court road I adopted the no eye contact forced march stare&walk, didn't even get a Hello out before I am beyond ear shot, also loud rock music (there is no quiet rock music) helped in my ears too.

16. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Headphones.

I've had chuggers who ignored the headphones and proceeded to stand directly in front of me while flailing their arms about. Once I also encountered a chugger who attempted to take my headphones off (on-ear headphones, not in-ear). At the time I hadn't spotted him so I thought someone was trying to nick my them. I nearly f-----g knocked that guy out.

17. Rhydian

Rhydian What's a Dremel?

Wow, how is that ever going to make anyone want to talk to you.

18. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

To be fair, walking up behind someone and grabbing at their head is not considered a form of greeting within the the United Kingdom.

19. MrJay

MrJay You are always where you want to be

Gah,

Towns near me seem to be inundated with faith healers all begging for cash, pisses me off as people actually give them money!

I have unfortunately cancled all of my charitable donations (I was giving away nearly £200 a month). Got ****ed off with representatives of the charity calling me and asking for more money. They PAY someone 30K a year to phone people and ask for money.

****ing disgusting.

20. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Absolutely,
    One charity that I have on a monthly DD is on their last warning. I would give more if I was in a position to, but refuse to be dictated to by them when they call. One more phone call telling me I should up the amount will result in cancellation.
    I also said I didn't want any c**p posted to me wasting my donations on stamps and paper.

I try to find something local and direct, most large charities have become large corporations and adopted big business practice, and all that brings.

Even our very worthy local kid's hospice has been in the paper about their chief exec's huge salary - 50 or 100K IIRC.