1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guy Gifts...

Discussion in 'General' started by MystChic, 23 Aug 2007.

1. MystChic

MystChic Geology Rocks!

Okay.. I dare to ask the question that women everywhere have trouble with..

What's a really great gift for you guys? Other than the old "Socks and Undies" thing...

It's my other halfs birthday next month and I'm well and truly stumped. I did, however.. see a desktop fan that plugs into a USB port! I thought that was pretty cool (no pun intended..)

But I really really need some ideas! Please

Last edited: 24 Aug 2007
  2. K

K 528491

Shockingly, much like women, not all men share similar tastes and there are probably only a handful of gifts EVERY man will like. For example, if my other half bought me a USB fan I'd be like 'what the hell is this tacky crap yo?!', or something to that effect.

Can you tell us a bit about the guy?

3. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

I just let my parents buy me a curry.

4. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

Without coming off as crude, if the "sock and undies" aren't for him to wear; then don't discount them as a gift.

5. specofdust

specofdust Banned

I tend to stick with a few general rules when buying gifts for people.

Never buy someone something they know lots about and you know little about. I.E. Don't buy someone a bottle of wine if they're really into wine, unless you know a crapload more than them about it. Chances are you'll get something crap that they don't like.

If you know a lot about something, and think that your average person on the street can get enjoyment out of it, get it. Again to use the wine analogy, if they're a rank noob at wine, and you know lots - a nice bottle of wine that you know they'll be able to apreciate is a good gift.

Novelty gifts only work so long as they have a very personal link to the person. Getting them some random novelty gift just comes off as tacky.

Everyone likes chocolate.

HTH.

edit: aftershave works well too imo, because one can never have too many decent bottles of cologne, and most guys are too cheap to think about buying more than one anyway.

6. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

He's a geek I take it? Get him a copy of BioShock. If he's into comics then get him The Watchmen by Alan Moore or The Walking Dead series by Kirkman. Those were all great presents I got recently, except for BioShock which I got from a PR obviously.

A decent Leatherman is always a good present too and, if he really is an outdoors type, get him a Ray Mears Survival Training Weekend. Cheesecake.

7. ArtificialHero

ArtificialHero We were just punking him sir!

As soon as I saw you'd posted in this thread I KNEW that's what you'd say! :D

AH

8. Hiren

Hiren mind control Moderator

Joe now automatically responds with "Bioshock" as the answer to any question you ask him.

9. Mathmarauder

Mathmarauder New Member

Joe has been having Bioshock for breakfast, lunch and dinner. To answer the topic though you could always take him out to a favorite restaurant or something. The way to a mans heart is through his stomach or something like that.

10. DougEdey

Joe: What do you hate and thus want to give me?

11. MilkMan5

MilkMan5 Yeah man...

Get him something that he can actually use!

The only USB products you should buy are things like Mice, Keyboards, USB sticks (pendrives), Digital Camera etc…

What ever you do, do not buy him these crappy gimmicky USB things, such as – a Fan, USB Missile Launcher, Coffee warmer, Pole dancer (Yes, you read it correctly) etc…

Maybe it does not have to be computer related, it could be something that you both can use and enjoy. :naughty:

That is all I have to say – let your imagination go from here… :thumb:

12. ArtificialHero

ArtificialHero We were just punking him sir!

What about some Lego Technic or something?

Someone got me a huge Lego Technic formula one car once, I absolutely loved it - it's got an engine that you have to build and everything. Absolutely awesome.

Ooh or what about one of those single-use rockets? They go really high and are a really great way to spend an afternoon. Plus they have a remote launcher so you can do a countdown and everything.

AH

13. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

It's all fun and games until your neighbor knocks on your door, complaining about the ICBM they found in their back garden. Don't worry about whoever gets the warhead, they won't be around to complain. :naughty:

On topic: Beer. Some quality beer for a lover of booze?

14. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Tims copy of BioShock!

15. DougEdey

LOVE YOU!

16. Valo

Valo Active Member

get him a wii
    don't dare to get him ps3 or x360, as he will get stuck to it, wii has much more social kind of gameplay, you know, friends and stuff and chances that you will be included in wiitertainment are much higher ;)

17. RTT

RTT #parp

Definitely buy some cheesecake

18. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

get him The Departed or 300

those are really good guy movies

19. K

K 528491

I think if you TRULY loved this man, you would buy him a 1080p TV.

20. M3G4

M3G4 talkie walkie

mm, yum! :D