Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Cheapskate, 25 Jun 2009.
Repairs? Upgrades? Both?
Sounds like he is starting another H2O cooled mod!
Water-cooling the kitchen?
@Mvagusta - A tenant did 'upgrades'. Now I have to repair it and make it not suck. I really should take more pictures... I've seen some funny stuff.
@John - What's with the tagline? It sounds stalker-like.
@acey - I've had a watercooled a kitchen, but it involved a broken water pipe in the ceiling.
OK, got some stuff worked on... Rain on mowing days can be useful.
-Test fit of the adjusted holes...
-I figured out that the fan hole for the drive bay could be cut too.
-Wood? I need something to hold the panels 90 degrees while I glue them. The corner clamps I have touch the edges. If you get the solvent near them, it creeps around and ruins the faces. I have a lot of little 2x4 cutoffs to use.
-The gravity check with some scrap. Nice. It will be even more snug with the masking.
Thanks again to my sponsors!!!
I really do like the fan holes you cut for the rad, so much nicer than square holes .
I like the old school radio shape to the rad cutouts. Very original.
Oh and plus rep for tip to a problem I have a lot:
Capillary action works too well sometimes.
The rad holes just seemed natural. I followed the taper of the mounting tabs.
They sell corner clamps that leave that area open, but I'm CHEAP. I'm hoping to make enough of these that I can hold the case together without the frame brackets on. So far I have two.
I absolutely love the rad cut-outs!
I have 5 brackets now. I should have coded the cutting better. -s**t takes forever!
-$100 of stuff ordered from McMaster. I have only one thing against them, and that is sometimes you get a poorly packed box. This one had all the material lolling around in the bottom of the box, and some packing stuffed on top.
The aluminum and delrin is for motor mounts on the CNCs 4th axis. The copper is for future waterblock play, and I finally broke down and purchased a 1/4 BSPP pipe tap. That should be compatible with G1/4, right? Custom fitting with 1/4NPT was a pain anyway...
-Bad packing woes... The big 1/8" sheet got bullied by the other materials on the way here.
-To make matters worse, someone managed to bend it. Obviously there won't be any NB/SB blocks in this one's future.
-Here's a nice and blurry pic to give you an idea of how I feel right now. Everything looks like this to me at the moment.
-For this session, I cut out half of the PSU hole. The machine couldn't reach the rest. I get to cut that out the old fashioned way. (No, not with a sharpened rock.)
-I did a repeat of the I/O plate vent. It's not nearly enough to exhaust three 120mm fans, so I need to come up with more places for holes...
-But I think the back has enough of those now. It may take me thirty years to get all those wavy grooves polished.
Visit my sponsors!!! Buy stuff!!!
I'd be one the phone straight away telling mcmaster that they can take the damaged crap back, and do it again, properly this time.
Everything's looking good, but time to turn everything off and hit the sack methinks
Another nice lot of cutting mate, really like the half cut PSU hole lol.
Thanks. I need to get around to assembly before everyone leaves. Even I'm getting tired of the cutting.
I apologize for not doing much work on this, but it has paid off. I made finalist in the Nvidia Ion competition! I'm as happy as a tick on a dogs *ss.
Cuts look great, man!
Grats! That should be interesting. This one is coming along well.
Nice and gratz!
yep, 1/4 BSPP is g1/4. I was looking at that tap too from mcmaster. (only place I could find it.)
I'm starting my machineshop class today (first ever) and am totally looking forward to getting access to mills etc...
Thanks guys. @MM - Abuse the lab time for all it's worth!!
Did anyone notice something odd about the psu mount holes?
Yep plan on it!
No, can't say that I did... however, I've noticed lots of odd things about you over the logs...
Edit... I'm with MV... get mcmaster to reship you some unmarred pieces!
Hi... Remember me?
-I'd swear I had the psu model in right. I need to take a better look at that. I don't think I applied the pattern to the wrong side either...
-So the Enco order came in. I bit the bullet and paid the $17 shipping. Here's why it cost so much. This is box one... One F-in bit in a big *ss box.
-The next set of bits showed up in a bubble-wrap bag.
-Wow. Look at the scale strain under the weight of these goods. So Enco, do you still claim the cost of shipping is based on weight? Look at my nickname and ask yourself if someone like that would like to pay $8.50 to ship a $4 bit. -Oh, and why do I have to pay 'handling'? Does it take two people to lift a drill bit?
-Little Machine Shop's shipping was quite fair in comparison. I picked up a batch of cheap bits...
-and a tailstock for my rotary table. The greasy little scamp is staying in the box until I need it. (Yeah, it was too slick to pull out of the box...)
-Today I got to mill stuff! I'm finishing up the cutting on the backplate here. There's nothing else I can do to it on the mill. These are slots for a clamping block that will hold the expansion cards in place.
-The green thing is the start of a coolant/vac setup. After cutting the slots out, I put one of the new bits in so I could cut countersink slots. I had to wait for this stupid bit to do this.
-The remains of the I/O cutout are being used for the clamp block. Here I'm trimming it down.
-Here's where I was when the power started blinking. Somewhere along the Houston power grid, a squirrel's nuts are smoldering. I'm thankful that I was only doing something simple.
-and so ends the adventures of Mr. GrumpyPants for today.
Thanks again to My sponsors! They are a ray of light in my dark day.
Separate names with a comma.