1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – Complete GwassGween -FINISHED-Nov13 2013-pics start on page 67

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Cheapskate, 25 Jun 2009.

1. craig - toyoracer

craig - toyoracer Minimodder

Great to hear of the good fortune in getting the mill back up and running, to bad about the PSU.

So will you need to redo making a rounder less jiggy channel ? :)

The only water cooling parts I have, an old lawn sprinkler with heavier spray on the center-right side. :D

2. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Thanks, Craig.
    I kinda got involved in the John Hanlon charity case project. Things have been slow on this end. I did get a NEW power supply from Corsair the other day. :clap: However, I couldn't get the board to boot until I took the NB block off. :eyebrow:
    -yeah... It doesn't quite feel like a victory. Détente, maybe?

3. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

You still insist on putting 'O' rings in places that are not 'O' shaped. Worrisome child.

4. Cheapskate

:lol: NOTHING on this board would accommodate a circular O ring. -'cept maybe the mounting screws...

5. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Put black electrical tape on the chipset, leaving only the silicon die exposed. It sounded like you were shorting something. This is a quick fix that works real well.

6. Cheapskate

That's the weird bit. I had the stock sink's anti-short backing on it, and it was running fine until the PSU went out. I'm wondering when the new PSU will get zonked, 'cause it's obviously not the old ones fault.

7. -Jv-

-Jv- What's a Dremel?

Exellent service from Gecko there. Man I so want to build my own CNC right now. I just don't know where to start :(

8. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Front of the board, not back. Around the green substrate, leaving the glass-looking die only exposed. I've had this problem as well with custom blocks.

9. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

Using silicone instead of an o-ring? Cheap easy solution though not something pro but I think it ll do the job. Overall fantastic work once again bro!! :)

10. Cheapskate

@JV - That was why I picked out a pre-built one. I wanted results, not a new, bigger project.:lol:
    @Kayin - I'll switch to your way, just because the stock anti-short backing is shot.
    @Angel - Silicone fails eventually. I learned that one already. -Thus the O-ring fascination.

:lol: Alright, Who's been playing with the tags?

I have an update that spans a few months. Blame PUTObucket.
    [​IMG]
    -O-ring seat: CHECK. It's hardly perfect, but it holds the gasket.
    [​IMG]
    -I re-stocked on plastic buffing goo. I thought that first brick would last a lifetime.:lol:
    [​IMG]
    -I've been mounting things like a one year old poodle. A big issue I needed to work on was the screwed up PSU mounting. I milled out some brackets in 1/4" aluminum.
    [​IMG]
    -Only I messed up and used and old bit. Of course it dug into the curves and made a melty mess.
    [​IMG]
    -After a ton of filing and sanding, they look OK.
    [​IMG]
    -A shiny chunk of metal would really stand out, so I hit 'em with the same paint I used on the mosfet block.
    [​IMG]
    -Next up I finished the rescued manifold core. This came SOOOO close to getting chucked. I even forgot to change the milling file on one of the barb holes. One of them has a slightly wider spot. -Hell, the clamping even slipped on me once.
    [​IMG]
    -The solvent clouded the black really badly. No one will ever see it, though.:D
    [​IMG]
    -After that cured I chopped the excess black off with a coping saw...
    [​IMG]
    -Then drum sanded the edge even...
    [​IMG]
    -Sanded and polished.
    [​IMG]
    -I won't show the top. It just looks like a black blob.

That's it. I'm currently thinking about Ducting and motherboard covers.

Thanks again to my sponsors.:D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 11 Feb 2018
    Waynio likes this.
  11. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

All looking gooooood & all going in the right way of progress & loving the metal work of late in addition to all the awesome acrylic work. :clap:

Modding really is like the game braid :D forward, back back back, forward forward, baaaaack, forward, forward fooooorwaaaaard wooo hooooo. :D

12. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

Looks cool.

I hate to ask, but how are things measuring up to the initial design presented to us almost THREE YEARS AGO? ;)

13. jhanlon303

Time is relative. Some choose to measure it in years, some in months. I ain't getting any younger and I'm glad to see this back.

Cheaps is not a member of the Mod of the Month club.

john

14. Furball Zen

Furball Zen Shut up and Mod

You mean Mod in a Month dont you? :)

15. Cheapskate

Hey! I whipped out my Plank pretty fast*snort* Right?

@Waynio - You forgot 'stop for extended cleanup.'
    @John & Furball - John's right. I've never won mod of the month.:lol:
    @Nutman - The biggest change to the original model would be the fins in front of the mobo cover can't be done. The EATX board and mammoth video card reach all the way to the front of the case. I doubt I'll be doing a memory block either. I never said I'd build this one fast. I'm trying to come up with a tasteful AND removable mobo cover. -Not easy...

16. LooseNeutral

LooseNeutral What's a Dremel?

In spite of some minor setbacks I'm reading here, you've done some great work since my last visit. Somethings wrong here .. you've not won a motm! [ Censored ] That blows my mind. Guess some don't appreciate a good Poodle mounting :p

17. Cheapskate

Thanks.:D
    ...Now that you mention it. I don't.:lol: Both times I was picked to run I was still in the framing stage. If there's ever a new build, I'll make sure to get a few dress parts made first.

18. voigts

voigts What's a Dremel?

The problem Cheaps is that you don't take 150 pictures with lovely lighting of things like Bitspower fittings stretching into the horizon, meters and meters of sleeving, fans lined up like Broadway dancers, memory sticks, PSU, etc. You just show us ugly fuddly pics of milled acrylic with only an occasionally finished piece. :D

19. jhanlon303

Cheaps. The MOTM is not the goal. The friendships made and the inspirations you offer to ALL of us are some real strengths.

Took me a long time to realize that, young one. And a longer time to accept.

You are Master Modder.

john

20. dmcgrath

dmcgrath Master of Pancakes

And, John Hanlon, the best of us all. Part man, part machine, part Jiminy Crickett.

@Cheap, looking great man, I can't say enough nice things about your stuff. (Well, I could, but it would take too long) :D