1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – Complete GwassGween -FINISHED-Nov13 2013-pics start on page 67

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Cheapskate, 25 Jun 2009.

1. KrunchR

KrunchR What's a Dremel?

Nice work, cheaps

2. barry99705

barry99705 sudo rm -Rf /

Cheaps celebrating.

3. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

@Mankz - It happens. Don't pretend it's something new.:D
    @Krunchr - Thanks.
    @Barry - Yeah, Like that. -Maybe with less hip work and poor rhythm. In fact, it was probably more like those in-chair geriatric exercise shows PBS used to air...

4. kelmannen

kelmannen What's a Dremel?

nice progress cheaps! that's why i never dare to start a buildlog, it would take atlest five years or something... >.<

5. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Update from cheaps with victory dances, awesome progress in the right direction. :D

Nice block of delrin & side dip of copper on the aluminium cracker. :)

6. DEFCON Emy

DEFCON Emy The Emy Charger

Incredible work you are a true master ... ... ...

7. Cheapskate

Thanks.:D
    @Emy -
    What did you censor out? :hehe:

8. KrunchR

KrunchR What's a Dremel?

I think we all know.

Lol:D

9. Cheapskate

[​IMG]
    -For the next step I needed to make a 'motherboard.'
    [​IMG]
    -With this I could work out where the cover would be... For the ninth time. I've learned not to trust numbers I wrote down a year ago.
    [​IMG]
    -The tile saw gave me a chance to chop up the screwed up bits of plastic into tiny cubes. She can't cut perfectly square anymore, so I had to mill a side square to the bottom. I marked the heck out of them to know what edge to glue. It also helps you see what you are cutting. I just kept milling until there was no more red.
    [​IMG]
    -While I was at it, I made a set of corner brackets. One of the mounting holes is in an odd spot.
    [​IMG]
    -I glued the corners together with help from a chunk of angle aluminum.
    [​IMG]
    -Next I glued the mounting blocks on. I then put everything in the case and traced the screw holes.
    [​IMG]
    -The angle bracket was used here to hold the single plate vertical. It was bound to happen; rocks are starting to bleed into my project pics.:lol:
    [​IMG]
    -Here's a crappy pic of me using a fitting to get the drilling level.
    [​IMG]
    -All that stuff got tapped and fit.
    [​IMG]
    -Next I glued the lid mounting brackets on. I used some 1/8" aluminum to make them inset. The strips in the pic are now glued to the inside of the cover lid near the edges.
    [​IMG]
    -They still need a little trimming, but they work. I will need to pull the real motherboard to do the rest of the fitting.
    [​IMG]
    -To finish up: another impulse purchase. I thought this would work perfectly for the bends I need on the ducting. It even has a lip that can be used to hold the edge square. I forgot I will need straight sections, though. :duh:

Thanks again to my sponsors.:D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 11 Feb 2018
  10. Cheapskate

OK, On to bending jig plan B:
    [​IMG]
    -I started out with some "precision" cut lumber, poster board, glue, and a lot of lead shot.
    [​IMG]
    -Plaster is really easy to find in my garage, and I have some I need to get rid of. This is my mixing buddy. It makes perfect plaster every time, and can whip up some fluffy pancakes too.
    [​IMG]
    -The mold bowed a bit, but that's an easy fix. I've been smoothing plaster for ages.
    [​IMG]
    -I got the cover panels fit and the mounting holes done. Here I'm countersinking. -Note to self in pic. This will be an area that needs consistent countersinks.
    [​IMG]
    -Once mounted, I took a file to the edges to get them even. I covered the top of the file with electrical tape to prevent scratching.
    [​IMG]
    -I had to pull the motherboard again for fitting. Worse, I had to pull mobo and GPU as one part this time.
    [​IMG]
    -Since I screwed up the GPU I/O mount, the backplate needs to come off. I finally found a use for one of those keychain sized crescent wrenches.
    [​IMG]
    -There's an old PSU I've kept around for it's heavy-duty chromed casing. It's the same gauge as the metal in the GPU backplate.:D
    [​IMG]
    -I only have the start of a new backplate so far. The garage is too fecking hot to finish it right now.
    [​IMG]
    -I nailed the hose exit point perfectly somehow. I think it was 60% luck, 50% guess, and 40% elves working while I slept.
    [​IMG]
    -To get the position of the manifold, I mounted the plate loosely with long screws, and traced it on the underside.
    [​IMG]
    -I really could have used those elves to get in there...
    [​IMG]
    -A few filing sessions in, I had this. There's a green line traced where I still need to file some spots.
    [​IMG]
    -I have to come up with a GPU cover that can be easily removed from the case. Take a picture to commemorate this moment. Cheapskate resorted to using a cardboard mockup! :jawdrop:
    [​IMG]
    -I ripped out the parts for the cover's main body pretty fast. I was freaking out a bit that the scraps laying around were exactly the size I needed to cut these parts, then I remembered the elves.
    [​IMG]
    -I finished up that session by milling vents for the memory. 'Nanaman says Hi.
    [​IMG]
    -I'm currently working out a "hood ornament" for the GPU cover. The elves have already mounted plastic billet for the cutting session, so it's up to me to get a model drawn up.
    I also have to rig up something so I can mill some edges at funny angles. If I put it off for a bit, maybe the elves will cobble something together.

Thanks again to my sponsors.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 11 Feb 2018
  11. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:hehe:
    Good progress & nice bending jig idea nice smooth curve from that I expect. :clap:

PSU came in handy too. :)

12. barry99705

barry99705 sudo rm -Rf /

Fisherman's lure installer?

13. craig - toyoracer

craig - toyoracer Minimodder

Love your crazy skills Cheaps, and thank goodness for elves. :)

Nanaman is going ride that duck :lol:

14. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

[​IMG]

Why do I see fat pigeon cut-out?! :worried:

Looking damn good Cheaps! :thumb:

Edit: Craig - It's a fat pigeon! (Sorry I didn't see your post!)

15. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

true originality as always.... I look forward to seeing this when it's finished...

"will the real Mod Munky from Texas, please take the witness stand.... ..."

16. Furball Zen

Furball Zen Shut up and Mod

I hope the MOSFET block i make for my UD5 turns out half that nice :)

17. Cheapskate

:lol: Thanks.
    I wouldn't call it a duck/pigeon. It will have a hose going its bill and another going out its butt soon.
    @Furball - You will need the backplate. Someone else figured out the board warps without it and loses contact in the middle.
    @Barry - what?:lol:
    @Waynio - I can smash it up and start over too. I've been using plaster forever. Somewhere in the city of Houston, someone has a perfect pattern of the Virgin of Guadalupe on their bathroom ceiling in plaster texture. I'm just waiting for them to find it.:D
    @Bill - Me too. By the way, How's the res core?:worried:

18. Furball Zen

Furball Zen Shut up and Mod

Yea i was really disappointed in the difference in thickness between it and my DFI 790FX

19. LooseNeutral

LooseNeutral What's a Dremel?

Insane entertainment, or entertaining the insane! Great stuff man :)

20. Cheapskate

Since I also entertain myself... both.:D