1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling H100i - Should I panic?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GeorgeK, 20 Feb 2017.

1. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

I'm in the process of giving my rig a well overdue clean and I have just noticed this:

[​IMG]
    (Click for a bigger version)

The rubber where the hoses go into the radiator has split. It is not the hose itself but just the thin piece of rubber that sort of caps the joins.

Should I be freaking out or is it just there for aesthetics?

Cheers

GK

Last edited: 20 Feb 2017
  2. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

Wouldn't be worth risking imo. Is it worth risking your hardware? Is it under warranty still?

3. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

Looks like you just dodged a bullet, I would get confirmation from Corsair before using it again. Hopefully the rubber seals are there just to make the joints look pretty and nothing else.

4. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Going on some stuff (1, 2, 3, 4) i found it seems a common failure, most people say it's nothing to worry about but does warrant an RMA.

5. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

You should actually be fine, but again, its not supposed to happen, and you won't get anything from corsair if it does burst and shower your hardware. RMA.

6. heir flick

heir flick Minimodder

I would panic, I had a h80i and one of the hoses came loose and leaked taking out my 290x, corsair replaced the h80i and sent me a cheque for $420 for the gpu, at the time it was just enough to buy a new 290

7. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

RMA job for sure George.

8. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

9. GeorgeK

^Not quite sure what that's about haha.

Thanks for all the advice all - having checked out Corky42's links and done a bit more reading it would appear that it's only a superficial thing and shouldn't lead to a leak but I think I'll RMA it anyways just to be on the safe side. Will probably have to order a replacement for delivery tomorrow as I can't really be without my rig for the amount of time that the RMA will take and then sell the replacement on...

10. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

RMA it if you can, cable ties/jubilees if you can't.

Corsair do cut cheques when their coolers leak though. They have it collected first, inspect it then offer you prices for the damaged parts so fair play for that.

11. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

The whole point and appeal of AIO's is that they don't require the maintenance of a custom loop. I see this sort of thing quite often and it reminds me why I will never own an AIO.

Corsair should be taken to task for using crappy quality rubber on their units. There's no reason for the part to degrade like that... it's not doing anything other than sitting there.

12. Vault-Tec

Corsair don't make them dude. Asetek and Coolit do. Well, unless they changed all of that.

13. GeorgeK

Very true - I mean it is 4 years and 3 months since I bought it so it's not exactly brand spanking new but I don't see why it would have split like that. It was next to a LED strip this whole time so perhaps that's contributed to the degradation... Can't see how it would have done though.

14. doyll

doyll Minimodder

I see CLCs as one step (maybe half a step) above junk. The are a problem just waiting to happen. Corsair will only do what law required them to do .. and take as long as possible and pay as little as possible doing it.

If your case is big enough for a good air cooler I wold get a good air cooler, RMA the H100 and sell it to someone who thinks CLC are good coolers. CLCs were and are marketed on the misconception that by using 'water' to cool abd being a sealed system makes them good .. while glossing over the fact Asetek patented the idea as LCLC for Low Cost Liquid Cooler.

The only be assembled and filled system I've used (tested) that I continue to use is the be quiet! Silent Loop 280mm. Copper radiator, fittings, fil port and a waterblock pump powerful enough to move coolant efficiently with a little to spare (but not much) I would like to try EK Predator and Swiftech Hxxx X2 / X2 Prestige because I've heard good things about them too. There are a couple others like the Slent loop, like Eisbaer and Kelvin, but I don't think their pumps are as quiet as Silent Loop is. If you decide to go air, give me a shout. I might be able to help.

15. GeorgeK

Personally I think that CLC's are good coolers thanks... I was only after advice about my H100i thanks and wasn't actually after a diatribe about CLCs...

16. heir flick

heir flick Minimodder

I will say corsair sorted my problem pretty quick, they paid for the postage to California for the h80i and 290x and all in all with delivery time took about 2 weeks

17. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

How's this helpful to the OP?

18. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

Glad you got it sorted, George.

I don't understand the strong hatred of AIO's, especially by folk who have never used one.

I love my Nepton 240. It keeps my OC'd CPU below 50C (usually way below) during heavy gaming and only cost me £50 (used, as new). Bargain!

19. Vault-Tec

Just a FYI. Obviously what you choose to do is up to you but I have not bought anything Coolit make since I had one of their AIOs take a pee all over my hardware ruining a brand new GTX 480 and a mobo.

It wasn't just me either. I have heard a ton of complaints about Coolit's coolers. They actually tell you to get effed if you have a leak and point you to the small print. Corsair are the ones having to fork out when they leak.

IMO look for the ones with the round pump on. They are usually made by Asetek who have been doing this a long time and I have never had one leak or go wrong. Being round they are also easier to mod if you want to use them elsewhere too. The square block ones are much harder to get on a GPU for example.

20. doyll

doyll Minimodder

Sorry GeorgeK :rolleyes: I lost it there.:blush:

What about all the X-users of CLCs who hate them? You would probably be surprised how many people who went CLC a few years ago that are now coming back to air coolers. The main reasons are usually dependability, then amazement at how much quieter their air cooler replacement is at same or better temperatures.

Most consumers do not realize there is a big difference between CLCs and AIOs that are not CLCs. Yes, CLCs are in the AIO group, but there are some AIOs that are definitely not CLCs .. AIOs with copper radiator, more powerful pumps, fittings and hoses that can be modified / changed and have a fill port for adding or changing coolant.

I go through a lot of coolers .. several a month testing and comparing them. I haven't used a CLC that was better or quieter than air yet. The be quiet! Silent Loop is a little better, but it is an AIO, not a CLC .. that is the big difference that many users do not seem to realize the differences between the two.

True, there are some good deals to be had from individuals who have new/barely used ones selling them on. I've sold a fair few on myself with only a couple hours testing time on them. But there are good deals to be had on air coolers and fans from the same testing users that perform as well and quieter .. and last forever. ;)