1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress H2O-C7 June 26 Still more Rain! SUX

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by jhanlon303, 22 Oct 2008.

?

Guess my weight!

Poll closed 25 Dec 2008.
  1. Less than 2Kg

5 vote(s)
    14.3%
  2. 2Kg to 3Kg

21 vote(s)
    60.0%
  3. More than 3KG

9 vote(s)
    25.7%
  1. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

2. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

The dd/bitspower ones are your best bet. They have fewer possible leak points and are polished to perfection. They swivel like the aquacomps too. It takes some work to get the tubing OFF of them too. The little buggers have a good grip.
    So how much do you want to pay: Margarita or lap dance?:hehe: (No I'm not offering!!!)
    @Langer - :D Thanks!

3. jhanlon303

You Have Mail!

So, I got a knock on the door and the USPS carrier dude hands me a box - hmmm - from Tx.
    Just a humble little box 7" X 7" x 6".
    [​IMG]
    That's not so big. Let's open it up and see.
    A message in a box?
    [​IMG]

I knew at once it was for me and Cheaps had been talking to my wife, Marilyn. We have the want ads with managers and professionals
    [​IMG]
    "If you don't go back to work and out of my space, I'll be collecting on your insurance." The Mrs.

Waded through the newspaper - things are somewhat cheaper in Tx. Oh. I got distracted.

A BIG zip lock bag full of something orange.
    [​IMG]
    bag out of the box
    [​IMG]
    So after an hour of trying to get that orange stuff to unwrap, I ended up with this pile of throw away
    [​IMG]

I have NEVER seen that orange stuff before but it's severe! Sticks to itself and has a tensile strength of titanium. I finally had to get my letter opener.
    [​IMG]
    The bottom hold down plate and screws
    [​IMG]
    The barbs for the CPU block and the NB block
    [​IMG]
    Rubber O rings and some shweet plexi eye candy on a string.
    [​IMG]
    An extra foam pad and the springs for the holding down
    [​IMG]

The NB block (leaked a little, that's what the drops are)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and the CPU block
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and 4 special feet for the tiny case
    [​IMG]

My camera does NOT do justice to these parts! Texas treasures. My MB is still in it's box sealed up until I get further with the case so these all go into sealed storage bags.
    I am overwhelmed by the attention to detail (yeah I peaked under the blue tape) Cheaps, Thank You.

Oh and thank you for the personal gift.
    You are definately on our Christmas card list.

PS: I forgot - Marilyn says that is some peanut butter fetish you have, 45 bags at a time! Sheesh

4. Darkraven

Darkraven What's a Dremel?

Last time I saw a letter opener like that Rambo was breaking out of jail with it.:eyebrow:

5. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

LOVE IT!

Cheaps, bravo.

6. jhanlon303

Cheaps does have some skills. I wonder what he and his drillpress/rotary table could whip up out of thicker copper - like Stinger! Maybe I'll find some for his Jetway board. something about 2 1/2 inches wide and what? an inch thick should do. Maybe a foot long bar?

/Off topic
    Jesse, the Toys r us has the items I PMed you about. Son brought one home today. 701 Atom with web cam
    /On topic

7. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

Hahaha!!

John, hope you have some fun! :)

8. jhanlon303

I was going to name this project "Swan Song" as my last one - but I really am having fun.

I looked at Cheap's barbs. They look like the ones I got from P-PCs with the res/pump but the inner diameter on Cheap's is way bigger than mine. His barbs are almost thin wall compared to mine. That the high flow you guys talk about?
    This is my first H2O project and I already have questions about where the flow goes - CPU to Rad to res to CPU. Very confusing.

3 College degrees and 30+ yrs. working on computers and I'm a noob here [​IMG]
    This is scary stuff except for the fact that the C7 would actually run fanless without our interference. If it doesn't leak, I should be safe?
    If not I'll get another MB, this is not Skulltrail here.

9. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

Hey John, get yourself some non-conductive fluid for that rig. If you are worried about leaks blame cheaps that's the solution haha.

Feser One fluid seems to be one of the best performers - and it's <$20.00us for a liter.

Last edited: 24 Oct 2008
  10. jhanlon303

Cheaps (nowhere to be found) says the blocks have UV blue acrylic. Feser I have heard of. Do they have a UV blue fluid? The res comes with a blue LED for the top. Actually has 2 places for LEDs. Swap in UV LEDs and show off the fluid.
    Seriously lot to learn quickly. I need to get the 90 degree barbs, the hose(clear, UV blue, black?),
    UV blue acrylic for the res mount
    , the fluid, the charcoal mirror acrylic for the new front fascia, some kind of "radgrillz" cover for the 2 X 40mm radiator ( this is probably another one-off laser cut part), etc.

Damn this is fun!

11. ModMinded

ModMinded Are you throwing that away?

You call that a letter opener? Now this is a letter opener (holds up ridiculously oversized broadsword +10) :)
    Couldn't help the Crocodile Dundee reference... it just popped into my head.
    Cheapskate packs great! (you should have sent him the monkey!) That's beautiful stuff, and John, you've got some great photos of it. I like those feet. A refresher look at the blocks was definitely nice. Swivel fittings look sweet. If I've got a vote, I'm for those.

And since I'm sure you're waiting for someone to ask... what's with the redacted part of the list?... holding out on us, I see.

12. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

Love your letter opener mate lol. I can't wait to see those blocks up and running.

13. x06jsp

x06jsp da ginger monkey!!!!

Lol looks awesome :D

Josh

14. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

It's good to see everything got there intact.:D It must have got hot as heck if the tape came loose. I'm worried it made a gummy mess of the blocks.
    I need to correct you on one thing: the blocks are normal plexi, not UV. I hope this doesn't dissapoint you. The Light blue washers (and LB layers in the feet,) are UV.
    I'd save your money on the coolant and just use distilled water and some antifreeze. If you want to get spendy, you can get UV PINK antifreeze from autoparts stores.:hehe:
    You will need to flush the radiator out. They are always filled with junk.
    -I can explain the crackers. We buy everything in bulk, (A habit the family picked up living in Colorado.) When a hurricane hits, everyone freaks out and cleans the stores out. Usually, I'm already fully prepared if a storm develops.

-also: The 4 1/4" clear washers are risers for the feet. Just in case they aren't obnoxious enough.:hehe:

I like the stinger blocks. It looked to me like he was soldering 1/4" layers together.
    I'm not watercooling the C7 you gave me. I think I'll build something around it for my mom. -Slipperyskip style.:D

Last edited: 24 Oct 2008
  15. jhanlon303

workin on the case and parts placement

Not much to show this evening. I spent most of the day with my teenager - went out to eat, went to see Saw V, went to eat...
    Before the family got up I did some measuring and marking for the res placement.
    From the front. Centered in 5 1/4" drive space.
    [​IMG]

Inside looking out.
    [​IMG]

The original plastic front. I popped of the 5 1/4" and 3 1/2 doors. If I cut just inside the 1/4 masking tape lines, I this I will have enough plastic lip to hold the replacement "Picture Window"
    [​IMG]

The original audio and USB thingy reinstalled for checking.
    [​IMG]

Take it back out and draw lines for the cut

[​IMG]

Straight down from the 5 1/4 sides and across under the 3 1/2 bay.
    I got a bunch of new Dremel reinforced cutoff wheels and a cute sanding thing called a flap sander.
    Pics of the cutting and sandinding and the installation of a couple 1/2" alum angle bars from front to back to hold everything together.

That's all I got done on the case but had a really nice day with my son. 15 yrs. old, 6' 2" tall, 184 lbs. and legally blind. He's doing on-line High School and carries an A average. On break till Monday. Marilyn and I adopted him at birth. I've been with him since he was 3 minutes old. LOTS better looking now.

16. The boy 4rm oz

Good for you mate.

Some nice progress. I just have a question about the pump/res combo. I was looking at getting one for a little side project I plan on doing. Roughly how big is it and if you have already tested it how much fluid does it hold?

17. jhanlon303

Thanks for asking! I don't know what it holds for fluid volume but it is 100mm in outside diameter and 83mm tall to the top of the acrylic where the barbs screw in and the fill port is. The acrylic tubing for the res is 4mm thick. It's well made. I promised a volume check - tomorrow. The pump - looks like a submersible pump from a desk fountain - fills a LOT of the volume.

Capacity in the morning and cuts for the front panel of the case. Be safe! Wear the eye protection. :dremel: See them goggles - even the emoticons mod safely.

18. The boy 4rm oz

Thanks John.

19. jhanlon303

I've been on "holiday" with the family this weekend! Shhhhh! I did some stuff while they were sleeping. Pics here and a quick project in 'Modding' tomorrow. I'm don't sleep much. I'll sleep forever later, I'll not sleep much now.

20. jhanlon303

Making holes

Back to the case for the Jetway. Let's see some pics and get some feedback.
    Remember ladies and gentlemen that this is a steel case and not some nice Lian-Li alum. case. It's tuff to cut and wears out the Dremel reinforced wheels.
    Use the eye protection and if anyone is around remind them.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Steel cut but not filed, finalized and pretty
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The faceplate with the two doors
    [​IMG]
    The 2 doors shall become one. With and without flash
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'll strive for a single door with reinforcement in the back side. Door closed nice shiny mirror finish ( I haven't removed the plastic film yet)
    Open the door and see the glowing res!

CCFL hidden behind the lower black panel with the power switch to show off the UV fluid (whatever that will be).

I went to the Ace hardware store and bought a bunch of M3 bolts of differing lengths to mock up the fan mounts and the radiator mounts tonight.

Oh, and my Royal Mail coat came today. Serious orange and grey and black. Very nice weather protection.

Comments, thoughts, the old Dude went astray?