1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Hacking a keyboard to use a custom remote?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by philb, 6 Apr 2005.

1. philb

philb What's a Dremel?

Would it be possible to seperate the navigation buttons or F1-F12 off of a keyboard and cahnge the commands, for something like music control?

Or for a media pc, like selecting a program etc, for dvd playback or cd playback or mp3?

This would be best if i could do this through the standard USB connection of a keyboard, or would wiring into a serial be better?

Also wot software could i use to cahnge the function of a button?

2. NoMercy

NoMercy What's a Dremel?

It's possible, though not trivial... why not do it in software, programs like winamp can already attach themselves to keys (eg AltGr+PageUp/Down to select track).

I wouln't go trying to build a device to intercept USB data, could just turn out to be a bit of a pain, attaching wires to the membrane on which the switch contacts are located would probably be your best bet if you wanted a hardware solution, probably using some form of conductive epoxy since you can't solder wires onto plastic, and there's likely not enough space around the keys for the usual carbon contacts pushed onto the membrane, then all you'd need is probably some simple logic circuit, as you couln't drive anything directly from the keyboard switch, something as simple as a 74LS04 would probably be adaquate to give you some usable power, or you could take it directly into a PIC.

But I'd do it in software, not so much danger of ruining a keyboard, and you could then use any keyboard you like.

3. ehrnam45

ehrnam45 What's a Dremel?

you may be able to use girder to intercept the keypresses. (www.girder.nl) Or, pony up a few dollars and grab a multimedia keyboard. I have a cordless MX Duo (logitech) that has full media/internet control onboard. I curently only use the media controls, but i frequently find myself wishing they were present on my workstation puter here at work. Perhps once the HTPC is emplaced in its rightful domain in the hi-fi stack, I will get the web buttons running too...

4. TheAnimus

TheAnimus Banned

PS2 keyboard, yes mabye. Some let you interface to the key encoder chip, this chip takes a keyboard code, and converts it to serial data. You could of course do this with a uC like a PIC

You could just hook some buttons upto the control lines of the rs-232 port.

you could do the first option with a PS2 -> USB convertor

you could do the second option with a RS-232 -> USB convertor