1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Had a car nightmare

Discussion in 'General' started by peteone, 15 Oct 2006.

1. peteone

peteone Minimodder

Well my other half had just bought herself another golf on wedensday. 1.9 GT TDI. We were travelling down the A1 yesterday, motorway speeds, we pulled off to turn into my house and car just started shaking violently, we must have been only doing about 30mph but we lost everthing, electronics, brakes, steering. The car came to a halt in the middle of the road after about 20 yards. Now Ive had a fair bit breakdown experience but never felt anything like this. I popped the bonet to find the engine hanging out, it had actualy sheared the bolts from the engine mounts. Very scary situation. Its not woth thinking about what would have happend if it fell out on the motorway or on a corner.

Anyways we phoned the garage who sold us the car and he turned up and started acting like a bit of a dick, didnt ask us if if we were ok, wouldn't give us a cutousy car, basicly being a bit of an idiot.

Im realy not sure where we stand legaly, Im not blaming the garage in question I just think he handled the situation terribly. They say the car will be fixed on back to us on monday but I realy dont want the missus driving about in it if theres any chance it could happen again. We have contacted the RAC about getting the car fully checked over before shes uses it again but they charge £200 which the garage wont cover. Ive told her to just get her money back and go elsewhere but she realy loved the car and would realy like to keep it if its not going to happen again.

Anyways, bit of a mental weekend realy. Ive never even heard of this happening.

2. M4RTIN

M4RTIN What's a Dremel?

id bloody well blame them the car should be road legal. i'm pretty sure you can get your money back if you arent happy to have to car, who knows what other damage could have been caused by the engine, no doubt the garage will jsut replace mounts and leave it at that

3. specofdust

specofdust Banned

I'd forget it. Can't claim to be familiar with cars but generally when buying something - if anything went that wrong for me I wouldn't want the item whether the supplier said it was fixed or not. If they sold it in a condition that allowed it to do that I certainly wouldn't trust them to fix it up right. I'd get the money and look elsewhere if you can.

4. peteone

peteone Minimodder

Well we are going to get them to pay for the car to be independantly checked over or demand a refund. The reason I said I didnt blame the garage is that the car was MOTd elsewhere and Im realy not sure that there would be any way to determine that this was going to happen. Still very annoyed buy the blokes attitude towards us though.

Heres a pic http://img47.imageshack.us/my.php?image=deadtdismallpd3.jpg

We lost power as the leads were yanked out of the battery and the car only stopped due to fact the driveshaft was actualy hitting the chassis.

5. xen0morph

xen0morph Bargain wine connoisseur

something's going to be bent or otherwise broken by that.

6. M4RTIN

M4RTIN What's a Dremel?

i'd really question why that happened on such a new car. and if the engine can fall out what else could be broken. just run away from it very fast

7. xen0morph

xen0morph Bargain wine connoisseur

Aye, it is a sure sign of trouble really...might even be a cut'n'shut...:-/

8. Leeum

Leeum What's a Dremel?

I take it it's a MK4 Golf? How old is it?

9. peteone

peteone Minimodder

^^ Agreed, the first thing I thought was that it may have had previous damge, Ive had a good look at the history, HPI check etc and it all looks fine. Same engine nubers, chassis numbers on all the MOTs etc. But Ive never heard of this happening before. I have a friend who owns a bug shop specializing in V dubs and he said he had seen this happen when engine bolts had been cross threaded when replaced.

10. peteone

peteone Minimodder

Its a 99 MK4 Leeum. 47K which look to be genuine.

11. Leeum

Leeum What's a Dremel?

Very odd. Sounds like it could have had an engine out job sometime in its life? Those engines are known to go for 200K+ with no real issues :confused:

12. peteone

peteone Minimodder

Well its just had the timing belt done in June and according to my mate who owns the bug garage on some cars engine bolts are removed to do that. Although its the engine bolts on the drivers side that would have been taken out if any, this engine fell out on the passanger side. Bit of a shame realy, Ive allways had VAG cars and not had mcuh bother, except my gearbox blowing up on my last A3.

13. M4RTIN

M4RTIN What's a Dremel?

ive only ever know n one other car where the engine fell out and that was a mate at college who drove his ka over a roundabout and knocked it out the top.. was a good laugh for everyone else anyway

14. Mad-Axl

Mad-Axl What's a Dremel?

This can happen with seriously worn mounts but you can feel worn mounts on take off. Usually the engine bounces up off the mount and comes through the bonnet though.

15. peteone

peteone Minimodder

The only sign we had of it was when she pulled away in first I felt a tiny bit of a knock which I just put down to her dodgy gearshifting (hope she doesnt read this) and she shifted up into second and the engine went. I was driving it acouple of days ago and was going round a roundabout and felt a bit of knocking/rumbleing which I thought was a wheelbearing, thinking about it, it may have been something to do with this.

Its actualy quite funny/bizare when I think about it now but we were realy, realy lucky it didnt end up in an accident. We had just pulled of the A1 doing 70 ish and if it had of happend then Id be in doubt that Id be typing this now.

16. finboz

finboz What's a Dremel?

at least your looking on the bright side of things, your both ok and as you said things could've been a lot worse. i agree with others here though if you can get a refund then take it and buy the same car elsewhere, as there is no way i would trust that car again.

17. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

^ what he said, try for a refund.

18. MR BUNGLE

MR BUNGLE Shoddymodder

- I've never worked on a mk4 like that, but I suspect there must be 2 or 3 mounts on the gearbox at that end...

IMO, there's absolutely NO way that they could all break during normal driving in ANY car, let alone a fairly low mileage 7 year old Golf.

Someone's either messed up those mounts, or forgotten to bolt them up correctly.

Either walk away (if you can) or go for some kind of compensation from the garage / whoever worked on it last.

19. Mad-Axl

Mad-Axl What's a Dremel?

Its the front mount which goes first as the engine rocks back when revved under strain, a worn front will then strain the rear engine and gearbox mounts. The engine wouldn't buck off the front mount when cruising or shifting through high gears, but you would certainly hear/feel it clunk in first and especially when shifting between first and second. Try find out the condition of the front mount, perhaps they didn't tighten the nut.

20. Leeum

Leeum What's a Dremel?

... or with the wrong amount of torque :)

Tags: