1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SketchUp Had an idea

Discussion in 'Modding' started by james888, 19 Sep 2011.

1. james888

james888 What's a Dremel?

I have never modded/built a computer case before but everyone starts somewhere. I played with this idea I had in Sketch Up and got my idea out. Its not perfect as this is my first time with sketch up but hey, you can see what I was trying to do.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I think it would have great cooling. 2X200mm fans on bottom blowing a ton of air up and forward. Really just a fat atx midtower.

If I did build it it wouldn't be till next summer. Even then I don't know exactly how I would. I know I would need a dremel and possible a pop rivet gun. I have no idea how I would put side panels on it. I did not put feet on in the sketch but would for real. I've read that there are pre-wired power buttons that I will have to look into if I decide to build this.

Any suggestions on what I maybe should do differently?
    Does anyone know a good youtube video or 5 on building?
    I've been watching some mnptech videos already.

2. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

Look thought the scratch builds here on bit-tech, ask question on how they did it or how they could improve their own ideas

3. Vetalar

Vetalar *learning english*

building something similar right now... from cardboard :) 90* rotated ATX, HDDs over bottom intake fans vertically mounted. ODD - external for now... only one difference - PSU has separate chamber - there is ADSL modem and Wifi router in here cooled by psu intake fan. can post some SU drawings if You interested.

4. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

Nice start ... but I would rotate your 5.25" device. On your design, they will block the air flow from the 200mm fan under them.

5. Huge

Huge aka Dave

Nice start, look at the silverstone FT03 for some ideas as it manages the verticle layout you are going with in a very small space but with excellent air flow, sleek design and very quiet operation. This very quick sketchup I made of one gives you a general idea of the layout, except the yellow boxes are places for possible fans (the sketchup was made to help someone considering watercooling).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also, you may want to consider wiring options, if you do go ahead and make your own build you don't want it spoilt by a huge mass of wires everywhere!

6. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

One thing you should ask yourself is: do you really need an internal optical drive at all, or is an external CD/DVD/BR the better option. I atleast build all my PCs without internal optical drives for the last years and use an external instead. The optical drive is used maybe some four or five times a year at best to install OS/software/games.

If you scrap the internal optcial drive you can do way better layouts.

Move the PSU down to the bottom back, sucking air from the bottom. Move the HDD-tray to the front, save some 100mm in depth, etc, etc...

Just my thoughts ;)

7. barry99705

barry99705 sudo rm -Rf /

How are you supposed to rip your Netflix... I mean backup your DVD's??? :D

8. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

An external DVD/Blu ray drive hooked up via esata

9. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Like The_Beast said I've got an external DVD which I can use with all my machines. Makes it much more economical aswell to have only a single DVD for my 4 machines and as I only sport small miniITX-systems and a netbook it's more feasible this way.

10. james888

replys

I got the idea from the ft03 but got most inspiration from the ft02. I would like to leave space behind the motherboard if I could for cable routing. I am only in the planning stage right now and will figure out how to implement them if I can when I have to come to a more final decision.

I already have an internal hardrive and would like to keep it installed. I could get an external enclosure for it. That is a possibility. It does not get much use anyways. I also wanted to install some sort of front usb/audio jack/fan controller in one of the bays. Some might say what is the point of that if you have it flipped... well that is what I want. If in my planning, push comes to shove, that will be what goes. I am currently playing with some alternate ideas in sketch up. I will post pics of my ideas off your suggestions.

I would like to say thank you though. This really is helpfull

11. james888

[​IMG]
    Revised my original. This would work better. Still keeping this one as my main plan here because it has now split in two.

[​IMG]
    If I did get rid of the 5.25 bays it would create a ton of room. This particular design would have tons of positive pressure. If I got rid of the 5.25 bays I could make it a few inches shorter even. I could add more hdd bays if I wanted too, but I don't use many hardrives. The most I could see is an ssd an two monster drives. I certainly am taking this into greater consideration. If I wanted to do the usb/audio jack/fan controller thing I could easily do that sidewayswhich would be easier to fit.

12. james888

By the way. I am interested. Sounds interesting and is sounds similar to my plan.

13. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

USB / fan controller are short depth device and won't get in the airflow way :D

14. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

It's important to work the assembly parts into the model too.
    For instance: If you use aluminum angle to hold this together, there will be an issue with where you put the PSU.
    Space under the motherboard is wonderful stuff, too.:D -especially with the newer PSU's having more wire bulk than the PSU body.

15. james888

As I am not sure how to assemble it yet... When I finaly get a layout I plan to go with I will do a new sketch and try to put assembly parts in it. This is more of a concept stage.

I was thinking when I got closer, of building a mock case out of cardboard? Good Idea?

Last edited: 21 Sep 2011
  16. james888

inspiration

I've been poking around the modding forums. I found this by subtec:
    [​IMG]
    http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=200046&highlight=beige,

Its the same form factor with the same basic principle. So I looked at it. The one thing I do not like about it is the fact that the psu faces forward. That just seems impracticable. It would be hard to just plug it in. I understand its just a concept but still. It did give me some space saving inspiration.

[​IMG]
    As you can tell not much has changed. Cooling is positive pressure dependent. The arrows are how I would expect air to flow. The psu has become an exhaust fan.

17. Cheapskate

You shouldn't need the cardboard mockup when SU makes a suitable mockup stage.
    -Oh, wait. You might want to double-check mounting holes and stuff. Take it from a guy who used a SU model to put the wrong holes in his current case.:duh:

A trip to your local hardware store could be a source of inspiration. Drawer handles and aluminum profiles have been a favorite for us for years.

18. james888

thanks

Thanks for responding. I was beginning to think this thread had died. I currently have a haf 912. I was installing more ram yesterday and looked at it for a second. This might turn into a haf 912 mod.... maybe maybe not...

Drawer handles? I'm curious. Like the shape? General design like more industrial vs curvy? Or do you somehow use drawer handles in your mods?

19. Cheapskate

Well, These are commonly used for skids, and stuff like this works good for gothic feet.
    I'm using handles on the 'toad for legs. Mostly I'm saying you may find something you never expected.
    There were a few rotated HAF designs in the last Sketchup contest.-Apologies if you were there for it.:worried:

20. james888

Very interesting. I will go into my local hardware store now just for that...
    I was around for that contest but paid no attention to it. You were way active in that. Some very interesting cases. Thanks for pointing that out