1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Hades Project - The First Dry Fit - up 18/feb/2011

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Yemerich, 9 Mar 2010.

1. Yemerich

Yemerich I can has PERSUADETRON?

Well it will be in august, so there is plenty of time :D
    If I go, I surelly open a thread here in BT just for the event. You have my word.

Well they were actually fun to make, but the work on them didn´t compensate in the end.

Hail Ulisses "neighbor"!
    I don´t see myself as a "Master" but I am trying;)

cheers all

Last edited: 10 Feb 2011
  2. Yemerich

UPDATE - The GOOD brass inserts

FIRST "DRY-FIT"

After the first dry-fit, it was time for me to mark things in its places.
    In each of the side panels I´ve glued A4 sheets with spray mount glue for marking what goes where. The template used in this piece was in position A. There was two diferent positions to avoid screws obstructing each other. Note that each piece have an arrow to indicate the front of the case:
    [​IMG]

The ones that saw the case in the Campus Party Brasil 2010 may remember that the case had "sliding doors". The side panel you see here is the front one. It was 8mm smaller than the other ones so I could take the doors out. Four mm in for each door. The middle arrow indicates the front.
    [​IMG]

Each of the corners on each side had a mark that indicates where each of the structural blocks are going to be with each of its sides A and B.
    The template....
    [​IMG]

...and the markings:
    [​IMG]

this drill bit is used to "counter bore" the holes for the M3 conic head screws. Unfortunatelly, I wasn´t able to find a better solution where I live, so this had to do.... I Guess...
    [​IMG]

The M3 allen screw in place. Even if it is hard to see, trust me, it IS there :D
    [​IMG]

Drilled pieces:
    [​IMG]

New dry-fit. This time to mark the supporting pieces. Note that two of the supporting blocks are now on the corners of the box:
    [​IMG]

To understand why there was a template for A and B positions, check the next photo:
    [​IMG]

This montage was made to mark the blocks. Period. Nothing more. To give the blocks a consistent distance I´ve taped a piece of 8mm acrylic because not only the doors would be there, but the "rail" too:
    [​IMG]

After everything was in place, I finally had them marked! All this just to make 4 spots with a pen in each of the 8 supporting pieces.
    [​IMG]

THE SOLUTION FOR THE BRASS INSERTS

well friend modder, "rapadura" is sweet but it isn´t soft! Gah....
    This phrase really work in brazilian portuguese... Believe me...

I still had the problem with the homemade brass inserts. There weren´t the way I was hoping. That was driving me nuts (on the plus side, this joke works in english but not in PT-br)! I needed to find a solution, and all I´ve found arround was some lame inserts bigger than the ones I´ve made.

Finally, I´ve found the brass inserts I was looking for. The problem was that they only sell these for stores AND by 1000 pieces. But after some asking... ok... BEGGING, the folks at "Rudolph Fixações" here in Brazil was kind enough to "give" me a free sample of 100 pieces! I can´t thank enough, but THANKS anyway Eduardo :)
    This almost saved my life! Errr... Perhaps not that much, but thanks anyway ;)
    Here they are:
    [​IMG]

They are slight bigger than the M3 screws itself. Here is the process:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Here I used the template to avoid screw contact with each other:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Every piece have a number because even with the template, murphy´s law is everywhere! So it is best to be in the safe side.

3. Yemerich

Just out of curiosity, this is some technique I am working on:
    [​IMG]

I´ve used a jeweller blade and some needle files. Keep in mind that this is a 70mm wide piece in a 1,5mm thick aluminum sheet.
    Way smaller than the picture itself.
    cheers

4. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Saaweeeeeet modding Yemerich :rock: :thumb: subbed.

5. Yemerich

Thanks Bro :D

6. Yemerich

New Dry-Fit

NEW"DRY-FIT"

All the big structural pieces (side and central ones) were made in 6mm thick acrylic. The central piece was important to the general stability and to hold all the inside hardware in their places.

This is the first dry-fit that I used the screws. The transparent acrylic that you see in here is still with its protecting film.
    [​IMG]

The sheet was first mounted outside, where it is not its real place just for me to have an idea on where I was going to drill to recieve the screws that would fix it in place. The markings are visible in the picture:
    [​IMG]

The holes were made with a good space for the screws so they could pass freely. After that, I put the central piece in the right place this time to mark the inside structural blocks themselves:
    [​IMG]

Depois disso tudo o que melhor para se fazer alem de desmontar TUDO? Se eu tivesse feito isso tudo direto no acrilico, a esta altura possivelmente as roscas do acrilico estaria espanadas.
    After all that, whats the best thing than to dismount EVERYTHING again? If I had made all that
    directly on the acrylic, probably all the screw sockets would be loosen by now.
    [​IMG]

This project had teach me a lot of new solutions and new stuff, and this worklog gave me a LOT of work to bring together. I really hope you are enjoyning it :D

Cheers all

Master Sponsorship :rock:
    [​IMG]

7. Yemerich

Yesterday I started recycling the dragon. Took it of the broken panel and I am thinking I will make a wall frame or a desk sculpture. not sure yet. Perhaps another project log?

Cheers all

8. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

That's some quality stuff right there, I love the acrylic!

9. Yemerich