1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Half-Height Drives?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Toric, 16 Oct 2003.

1. Toric

Toric What's a Dremel?

Do they make bare-bones half hight drive, that could fit (or be made to fit) in a regular 5.25" bay? A half-height CDR and DVD drive in my shuttle would be ideal, and it would look cool. :)

2. Supercool

Supercool Gone.

Yes, you can (or could) get half height optial drives (I've got a slimline case here that will only take half heights), but IIRC they don't come cheap :(
    2 laptop drives with a modded bezel migh be a cheaper option?

3. Boldar

Boldar Minimodder

Technically the average modern drive is half height. In the olden days of the IBM PC XT, drives were 'kin huge and weighed a ton and the bigest hard drive you could get was a whopping 10Mb.

Just being pedantic, :D as you mean half the current standard height, I'd agree with Supercool, go for laptop drives and mod the bezel.

4. lord nicon21

lord nicon21 sexy *******

does any one have any pic of these drives

5. fump

fump What's a Dremel?

full height drives r huge and som more modern HDD were used in servers (SCSI naturally). just think of 2 hard drives put on top of each other and quadruple the weight and u r close.

half heights r what we all use now and slimlines r what r used in laptops. u gota remember 2 find som adaptors cos slimlines have different intercaces but adaptors 4 them 2 IDE r about. i guess the best bet would b 2 buy som slimlines or a single combo drive.
    u cant get drives as wide as a FDD cos a CD wouldnt fit :lol: