1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Half-Life 2: Lost Coast Benchmarks

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by The_Pope, 21 Sep 2005.

1. The_Pope

The_Pope Geoff Richards Super Moderator

2. stephen2002

stephen2002 New Member

Good article. Now I just want to PLAY the level :wallbash:

The NVIDIA screen shot seems to have just a touch more contrast and detail in the distance. If you look at the rocks on the right side of the screen in the distance it is noticable there. Granted, I could only see that by flipping back and forth between the pictures. In-game, or even side by side play, probably there won't be any real difference. Good job Valve on that!

3. bloodcar

bloodcar Active Member

You're such a tease! Video is downloading now so I shall see what I"ll be missing out on. I still want to stab you with a spork for teasing us with DoD:S. :p

Watching the video now...looks amazing. You should put a big warning on there though that it's extremely loud! Even with the volume at 1/4 it nearly scared the crap out of me.

BTW, what program was used to record that?

4. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

Thanks for that warning Bloodcar; I am downloading it (at school) as we speak, so Im not going to scare people with loud HL2ness, and avoid getting in trouble ;)

:EDIT: Looks nice, but the screenshots do it more justice than the video does ;)

Last edited: 21 Sep 2005
  5. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

So we are lucky then!

I like the idea of the camera adjusting to the light, it will give more of a realistic feel where you'll probably have to wait a few seconds beofre you start shooting at someone whos in the light.

As for the last two pictures, is it just me or does the screenie with the ATI card look a little bit flatter than the nVidia? Perhaps its to due with the power of the graphics card, the 7800GTX certainly seems nearly twice as good as the X850XT!

I have a question, is the sunlight in the game in a static place? If so would this enable us to know which way is North and South without using a compass?

Downloading vid now :)

6. The_Pope

The_Pope Geoff Richards Super Moderator

Crikey - sorry about the loudness - didn't realise it was a problem.

Yes, afaik the sun is static. It's the primary lightsource for the level.

7. alextwo

alextwo <a href="http://forums.bit-tech.net/showpost.php?p

Ooooooooh.... pretty. I think it's time for an upgrade! :idea:

8. Muunsyr

Muunsyr New Member

I can't wait to upgrade, there is so much to do and see. Oh the world would be so much prettier in HDR. Err...it is you say...but not like in HL2: The Lost Coast...but look at it!

9. kye

kye New Member

a 6800 vanilla card in the benchmark would of been pretty amazing to show the budget gamers how it will run.

10. woodshop

woodshop UnSeenly

/me twitches.....
    were REALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLYYYY trying to get me to break down and buy HLS arn't we??....

and did you really have to make 1/8 the movie the credits?

11. GigantoR

GigantoR New Member

That would have been nice.

12. CyberSol

CyberSol 1337 Pants

I JUST WANT TO PLAY ALREADY!!!!!

13. Hiren

Hiren mind control Moderator

Wow the video was pretty sweet. Shame I'm in the under 5fps category. Might be time for upgrades.

14. Highland3r

Highland3r New Member

mmmm Can't wait to play this, looks well nice :D Those screenies are amazing, assuming even with the GTX they werent playable @ 1600*1200 with high aa/af enabled? Or were multilpe cards used ;)

15. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I just wanna know if I can play 1600x1200 0xAA/AF instead of your preferred 1024 2/8. Probably not too well... oh well. I'm still glad I put my money towards dual-core instead of going from a 6800GT (comeon, someone knows they want one, my second is for sale) to 7800GT.

16. P2D

P2D 99.999% Pure Spam!

On the 2 comparison shots between Nvidia & ATI, Whats going on with the "A" In health, and the "A" and "O" in "ammo"???

17. RuBBeRFiSH

RuBBeRFiSH New Member

Yeah, that's a weird one that.

This is the sorta stuff that makes me glad I got such a radiculously specced PC :hehe:

18. fellix_bg

fellix_bg New Member

Woops! That's right, ATi has just been caught in some HDR-ish font cheating :D :D

X850XT:
    [​IMG]

7800:
    [​IMG]

19. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

Hahaha. Y'all gots too much time on yo' hands.

Leave it to our forums to dissect that image until we DO find a fault. ;)

As minor as it is, HEY ATI, FIX YOUR FONT RENDERINGS. Just cause you finally caught up on 3d doesn't mean that you're allowed to break the 2d for it. :)

20. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Man that PC is insane in your sig. Umm... how do you USE 2x 2405FPWs? Aside from needing an ungodly huge desk, you can't run multimonitors with SLI enabled (unless I've really missed something and should give up trying to sell my second 6800GT and put it back in)

Yeah, those letters on the right (ATI?) screenshot are definately wierd. Doesn't change the fact that you can almost read the information on the back of the revolver bullets...:jawdrop:

Tags: Add Tags