1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Half-Life 2: Lost Coast Benchmarks

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by The_Pope, 21 Sep 2005.

1. fellix_bg

fellix_bg New Member

And now something serious, even boring:

X850XT:
    [​IMG]

7800:
    [​IMG]

...look at the ground texture - any shimmering, more on one and less on the other?!

2. Mysterae

Mysterae New Member

Hi everyone.

Ooh look, my first post on Bit-Tech....and why? ->

1. Does this mean CrossFire is released on Monday?
    2. Does this mean the NDA from ATI expires on Monday?
    3. Is there another surreptitious reason for waiting until Monday to release the details?
    4. Can I wait for Monday?

Guess you guys were too busy examining the images or watching the video, or just plainly don't care about CrossFire to even notice that bit in the article!

Doing a good job Bit-Tech.

3. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

Hehe :) First things first...Welcome to the forums, mysterae! :D

Second...I don't think crossfire comes out on monday. ATI have paper-launched it a long time ago, and I'm doubtful it's ready yet. Since they've paper-launched it, they *technically* shouldn't have any allowed NDA on it, but I'm pretty sure that's what's unfolding...probably a board partner that will allow some specs to finally be tested. I hope so, because this biased article stuff I'm reading everywhere is driving me nuts.

Though I'll be glad to finally see a non-biased review from our dynamic duo of Rich and/or Tim, I'm sadly not holding out much hope for CF to be able to top SLI...at this point, I question whether it can even compete. It's been so long in the coming that I honestly don't think it's going to rival any of NVidia's newer hardware.

And I'm sure you can wait til monday. :)

4. Cheap Mod Wannabe

Cheap Mod Wannabe New Member

Offtopic kinda:

Woot this newstory reached Digg.com main page at about 12:15AM EST US
    I found about it while I tried to post a news story and it said that one was already present. Mr. Pope has posted it first. =)
    Daamn I am surprised how bit tech got this video/info so early.

Great job guys!

5. The_Pope

The_Pope Geoff Richards Super Moderator

The cool thing about Digg is that it's user driven - sites can't spam it with useless crap because nobody would vote for it. Occasionally I drop a link in there to just say "Hey guys - we think this is pretty cool, so if you want to share it with everyone else, give it a digg" and the cream rises to the top.

We got this for two reasons really: Valve were kind enough to invite me to visit their office in Seattle, and I was crazy enough to endure a 40+ hour round trip in order to attend the briefing.

We didn't "get" this video - I made it myself. It is a bit-tech original production, which is why you won't see it anywhere else. All the screenshots were also taken by us, and the benchmarks run in-house.

I'm keen for some feedback on the video actually - is it something you'd like to see more of? Or do you normally try and avoid videos like this so as to not spoil the first-play experience when the game comes out. As you can imagine, a production like that isn't thrown together in 5 minutes, so is it worth us spending the time on making more?

For example, would you like to see a Day of Defeat: Source video to decide whether to shell out 20 bucks for it on Monday?

6. bloodcar

bloodcar Active Member

I'd love to see a DoD:S. But I'm not shelling out $20 for it....I bought it with HL2! :D

7. RuBBeRFiSH

RuBBeRFiSH New Member

Haha, one's for my Apple G4 Tower, that used to be my main machine but I sorely missed pc gaming. I hate getting bashed by Mac zealots for doing graphics and 3d and using a PC, I mean come on OS X IS better, but games Cheesecake! Hopefully I'll hook 'em both up to the PC but atm you have to reboot to turn SLI on and off depending (therefore allowing multiple monitors) if I want to game or work.

8. D3lta

D3lta New Member

Last edited: 27 Sep 2005
  9. acidfire

acidfire New Member

am I the only one who thinks that this doesn't sound quite right?

Hey rubber, if you do all your graphic work on your mac why bother with 4 gig of ram, 400 gig space and a dual core? I could understand when the unreal 3 engine makes the appearance that you would but for now whats the point? BTW i'm gonna track you down and steal those dell screens :D

EDIT:
    I just re-read your post and it all makes perfect sense now :D how do you find the 4 gigs work for you? I like my dual Dual Channel but I'm wondering if I should get the 4 gigs instead.

Last edited: 22 Sep 2005
  10. Acalla

Acalla New Member

Anyone else notice the messed up shadows?

[​IMG]

11. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

You lucky buggers :) That video was very good, particularly the scene showing HDR on and off. I remember d/l pretty much all the HL2 vids, official and leaked, and enjoyed every single minute of them. They didn't detract from wanting to play the game at all and, tbh, neither does your video. It furthers the anticipation for when it is released!

I'd love to see some dod:source, although I recently upgraded my steam package so it included this, I guess people would definately want to see it in action. (btw bargain - I had the free HL2 ATI voucher and upgraded to have everything apart from the tin, t-shirts, music cds etc for a little under £7!)

I wouldn't do any more vids showing off Lost Coast though. You can have too much of a good thing. Blummin' good job though - I thought it was something Valve had thrown together to take back from your visit!

12. weeds

weeds New Member

Hello Bit-tech. I was a little curious about this:
    Which means 6800GT loses 17fps while X850XT loses 15fps (45fps vs 51fps) is that really less than good news for 6800GT owners? I would think that would be fairly good news considering X850XT has a 170MHz core and 80MHz memory clock advatage. 5fps difference between the 2. It gave me a giggle thats all. Why did the Ultra get left out of the HDR impact graph? :confused:

13. The_Pope

Err, what was meant was that it was less good news compared with the tiny drop for the 7800 GTX mate.

14. Emon

Emon New Member

Yes, it annoys me that they didn't bother to cast shadows onto other objects. Well, that's Valve for you.

15. steelmartin

steelmartin New Member

Well, hello Bit-Tech!. This is my first post, but not my first visit. And hopefully not the last one either. :)

I just wondered about the FX-part in this article.
    I fired of an e-mail to Wil, asking if Valve had done some dx 9-path for the FX-series. If you remember, dx 9 on the FX-series in HL 2 (or any Source-game) could only be achieved by changing the dxconfig-file, which became known as the "Presi tweak". That way you got the water, the soft shoreline shaders etc. This tweak was not supported by Valve officially, you were restricted to dx 8.0 for the slower cards and dx 8.1 for 5800 and up. If you just wrote -dxlevel 90 in the command line the water would disappear... I played HL 2 on an FX 5900 Ultra in dx 9 @ 1152x864 (using only the first part of Presi's tweak, not the 3DAnalyze part, which of course modded the files in a more serious way, and if you changed the files you ran the risk of being banned).

Now, as I understand it, in order to get HDR working on the FX, Valve need to have a SM 2.0-path. Which means that they have to treat the FX-series as a dx 9-part. So, are they now using a SM 2.0 dx 9-path in Source for the FX-series?

Last edited: 23 Sep 2005
  16. Karnius

Karnius New Member

no hdr test with the x800xl? :(

Anyone know why?

17. adg1034

adg1034 New Member

I was going to ask the same thing. Actually, I was under the impression that the hardware of the X800 series didn't support HDR. Am I right or just mistaken?

18. steelmartin

steelmartin New Member

You're mistaken...

In fact, all dx 9 cards can do hdr, that is, the whole range of the FX-series and up from Nvidia, and 9500 and up from Ati. This has been shown in techdemos since day one. But for what purpose you may ask, as you only hear about hdr and sm 3.0. This is Nvidias take, a marketing approach.

The thing is that there are different kinds of hdr. A whole bunch of them, in fact. I don't have the name of the numerous variants in my head, but if I find the page I once looked at that covered this I'll post the link.

But in dx 9.0c sm 3.0, it's a hdr standard that supposedly gives a higher quality hdr, maybe without as much of a performance hit as the other ones give. Now, Valve seems to have used both sm 2.0 and sm 3.0 paths to do hdr - that's why I'm so interested in finding out what they did for the FX-series in my first post. They've treated those cards as dx 8.1-level cards maximum when they released HL 2.

The Geforce FX and the Radeons 9500-9800, X300-X600 are sm 2.0, Radeons X700 and up are sm 2.0b, Geforce 6/7 are sm 3.0, and the coming Radeons are 3.0 as well.

19. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

I'm surprised there's no test for the 6600GT cards.

20. The_Pope

adq1034: I'd love to know where all this disinformation came from. Was there some sort of NVIDIA campaign that I missed? Don't feel bad - there are literally thousands of people like you who think X800-series doesn't support HDR. Which is weird, because afaik it's not doing anything super-magical inside the GPU to do it.

Anyway, steelmartin is quite correct. Indeed, my little video was shot on my X850 XT PE, so if anything, that proves it.

For everyone else who is suggesting there is a possible conspiracy going on because XYZ card wasn't featured - there really isn't guys. The bottom line is that this kind of testing takes a fair bit of time - we simply didn't have the time or resources to test HDR vs non-HDR on a dozen cards at this point, especially for a single-level expansion.

We did what we could in the time available to provide as much of a ball park for everyone as possible. Rest assured that HDR is a very big deal, and it's popping up everywhere now: DoD: Source will have it on Monday, and the Brothers in Arms demo released the other day has it.

Our graphics card guru, Tim, is busy planning future features that examine HDR more closely, so this certainly isn't the last you'll be hearing of it

Tags: Add Tags