1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steam Half Life: Alyx

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by RedFlames, 18 Nov 2019.

1. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Whitelist Bit-Tech in your adblock!

Well - that's the rub. The backlash against the Alyx decision is precisely because it's seen as Valve making a fairly niche and optional thing, which certainly isn't for everyone (or even possible for everyone), mandatory.

I'm proud of them for pushing the VR envelope, on some level. On another, much more relevant level, I'm annoyed at them for doing so with such a mythically anticipated and beloved IP. They could have made any big-budget narrative VR game and it would have expanded the format. Half-Life has so many fans that, by definition, there will be millions of people for whom this is a decade-defining disappointment and exclusion.

I know I'm repeating myself at this point, but it bears repeating, because that emotional response is so valid, and so maligned by some. Those of us with VR, for whom VR is accessible and desirable, have an instinct to sneer at the strength of emotion felt by those who have just been summarily excluded from the next instalment of what may be their favourite and most nostalgic franchise. And that instinct is cruel and unfair.

2. d_stilgar

d_stilgar Old School Modder

Release date announced! March 23rd! Bring it!!!!!