1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Halo: Reach Beta Impressions

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 30 Apr 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Not sure how many games I played, to be honest - but I played it for a fair few hours and with pretty much all the other journalists in the UK who have written about the game in the last two weeks. There were some newcomers in the mix, but there were also some people who claimed to be regular players. Personally, I've not played Halo since ODST - but I can hold my own and have been good enough to beat people from Bungie in the past, if that means anything. I was in the Top 3 in all the matches I played.

Phenomenon is different from quality though, isn't it? The Spice Girls were a phenomenon, selling multiple millions and pushing the whole 'Girl Power' angle. They were hugely popular - an undeniable phenomenon...but they also sounded ****ing ****.

2. fingerbob69

fingerbob69 Minimodder

Will they port it to PC?

3. MacWalka

MacWalka What's a Dremel?

I'm actually really looking forward to this. I love Halo 3 and looking at the videos of Reach, it does look a lot better. I can notice the graphics looking nicer and especially in single player where they have shown they can have more enemies and allies running around than they used to.

I like the thought of having Spartans vs Elites and each team has different characteristics. I can't see too much wrong with Halo3 and IMO just needed a few tweaks to give it a better experience. ODST was rubbish though, mainly because all my Live friends didn't buy it and I couldn't do Firefight properly as you couldn't get a random online game though.

4. Stewb

Stewb What's a Dremel?

Thanks, so seems like it may actually be a balance problem rather than a case of "ZOMG, I can fly"- *picks jetpack*. Will find out myself though when I can play later today :)

Earlier post:

Reach does actually have all of these. I know it doesn't have as many new weapons, but the number of weapons is small to begin with so there isn't much to work on :p. DMR, Needle rifle, focus rifle, plasma repeater, grenade launcher, plasma launcher. That's quite a hefty set of additions to a game with relatively few weapons. As to modes/structure/rewards, you covered modes in the impressions ;), and look at the arena for structure, they have also redone the entire armour unlock/rank system (I admit this is like MW2, but the daily and weekly challenges sounds like it will add to the addiciton beyond make kills, have XP).

Care to name a system breaking Halo 3 exploit? :p

As to the point of honing the experience. I do actually agree 100%, MW2 did improve greatly. Halo has had it for a while. But IMO (others would vehemently disagree I know) I would prefer bungie to stick to tried and tested fun than try to mess around in their final halo game and bugger it up :D

5. CardJoe

Yes, you shouldn't fix something that's not broken, but at the same time you should always be trying to push things forward. Even aside from that, you shouldn't expect players to be bowled over by things which are same-old, same-old - much less pay through the nose for them.

For me, it's going to depend on the strength of the singleplayer game. If the SP is good enough and long enough to warrant the cash then I won't mind the slightly staid and uninspiring multiplayer. If it's short and boring and the multiplayer is in the same staid state then I'll be mightily disappointed.

6. FelixTech

FelixTech Robot

I have always bought Ninty (although now it's more PC), with my brother owning the xbox, so due to moving out I haven't played Halo 3 yet. Someday I'll get to "finish the fight" :)

7. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

Something which could just as easily be applied to the entire Halo series, I suspect.

8. SatansBudgie

SatansBudgie Powerlevel: > 9000

+rep.
    People lay into MW2 and forget about all the new content it brought and brilliant ideas it added to the genre. Nice to know theres other people who appreciate the effort made on it

9. FelixTech

FelixTech Robot

Hell hath no fury like a gamer de-servered :p

I have to concede that MW2 certainly did a good job of making you feel involved, like many great FPS's.

10. rollo

rollo Modder

MW 2 for most is just another FPS saved by a decent multiplayer system

if halo 3 was on pc it would of got slandard for its graphics and the lengh of the single player. (mw 2 was no diffrent in terms of lengh about 8hrs)

MW 2 i own for PC and at full hd res it looks amazing. But dont get me wrong its not the best game ive played in the last 2 years. ( mass effect 2, ff 13 , god of war 3 to name a few ) were all better expereances. If it wasnt for multiplayer i dout id play it period.

Waiting on starcraft 2 ( beta is Awsome)

11. 7earitup

7earitup What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: 2 May 2010
  12. SaNdCrAwLeR

SaNdCrAwLeR What's a Dremel?

+1 on the Reach for the stars remark :D

13. MacWalka

MacWalka What's a Dremel?

Played the Beta last night. First impressions are good. Servers are a bit annoying but its a Beta and I assume they have had a large volume of people logging on so I'll forgive that for now.

Game looks better, more detail to give it a rugged rather than polished look. Armour abilities are great and all useful. Elite rolls are fun and new weapons are interesting.

14. SatansBudgie

Just a quick question - how did you get to play it before the official beta release?
    Did they invite you along because you're crazy awesome bit-tech staff or can you pay them for a certain amount of pre-release play time?

15. CardJoe

Microsoft invited a whole bunch of different writers to come play it in London a few weeks ago.

16. Krayzie_B.o.n.e.

Krayzie_B.o.n.e. What's a Dremel?

Halo - FPS over hyped and over rated Evolved. Nice graphics in Reach, for some reason I believe those screens shots are the PC running the game and Reach won't look that good on a standard Xbox 360. Oh well I could be wrong. Hope Bungies next IP is good even if it isn't named Halo.

hope to never hear the word Halo again even in the presents of angels

17. SatansBudgie

ah k thanks. No hope for me getting some pre-play action on some games then :grr:

Tags: Add Tags