1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Hands on with 6-screen ATI Eyefinity

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Guest-16, 10 Mar 2010.

1. Warrior24_7

Warrior24_7 What's a Dremel?

It's big, it's ugly, it's power hungry, it's the PC gamer version of a big screen HDTV!! I feel like I'm in six different parts of the game at the same time!

2. The Jambo

The Jambo Last on the scene

HP LP3065. High quality 30" *******. Tried tri screen. Much better to have a single better one.

3. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

6x 3008WFP? *drooool*
    Luckily my desk is too small for that anyway (which only serves as a excuse to distract me from the fact that my bank account could not handle it either lol).

3x 24" Screens is probably the limit of what makes some sense, but we do indeed need more Displayport models to push prices down first. As it is now the best thing is most likely still a single quality 30".

4. TSR2

TSR2 What's a Dremel?

I take it you didn't test Crysis at those resolutions :)

5. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

^there are issues with Eyefinity and Quadfire, so not much point to it:D
    Seriously though, most games are just console ports so they will work fine.

6. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

This would be a million times more useful if it was 3x3 rather than 3x2 so you don't have a gap in the very centre of your view.

7. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

In my opinion 3x1 seems more viable. I did 2x1 for a long time, but never stretched games save for supreme commander. Thinking of doing 3x1 but I think I'll wait for bezeless monitors

8. _Metal_Guitar_

_Metal_Guitar_ What's a Dremel?

I like the idea of six HD projectors...that would be one hell of a gaming experience.

But what I really want is a modded dance mat with extra buttons for crouch prone and jump. A controller with reload, grenades, melee and switch weapons, oh and triggers. And a mouse attached to my head, then said HD projectors (3D that really works would be great) aimed at the 4 walls, ceiling and floor. THAT would be total immersion!

9. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

just take screens out of casings and create your own bezelless screen (is bezelless even a word)

10. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

Until recently I was running my six screens on XP with an Nvidia 260 and two Matrox TripleHead2Go units. (see it here)

Those same two TH2G units are now happily plugged into a 5770 on a system running 64bit Win. 7.

For the games I play this works quite well - I can't play FPS due to motion sickness issues (which, oddly enough don't bother me anywhere else) but I quite enjoy RPGs. Fortunately those rarely need an aiming reticle in the center of the screen and usually don't have quite the graphics requirement of FPSs - at least not the ones I play. The higher resolution is also great in that I can have my inventory, quest log, hero status, friend list, guild list, chat log, mini-map ... open at all times and still have plenty of space to see what is going on around me.

Pop-ups in the center of the screen can indeed be annoying but I don't use any bezel management so that minimises the issue a little.

For those looking into such high resolution setups I recomment you try out GridMove.

11. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

LG has these super thing bezel LCDs bet that would look A LOT better on those.

12. rollo

rollo Modder

buy the time oled is viable on this scale we will be in VR through headsets

13. AstralWanderer

AstralWanderer What's a Dremel?

Couldn't the bezels be reduced by overlapping the monitors? (e.g. by moving the side monitors forward and inwards, so their side bezels covered the centre monitors' bezels - then moving the top monitors forward and down). This would give a single rather than double bezel to contend with.

Of course, there are multiple monitor setups with bezels removed (like the Radius 320, though that website doesn't appear to have been updated for a few years) but they are abominably pricey.

14. LightningPete

LightningPete Diagnosis: ARMAII-Holic

Hmm me thinks that ATI havent concentrated much on the gaming aspect over getting picture onto 6 screens. Im thinking some dissapointing results in anything but a racing game. Because lets be fair, what racing game have we ever come across that demanded a lot in graphical hardware? Not much i can tell you that.

I wonder how battlefield bad company 2, ARMA2 and Crysis would fair on this system...

I think they need a 4Gb card to help push the amount of memory through, a larger buffer, and probably a decent clock speed on it.

15. confusis

confusis Kiwi-modder

Pulled apart a chimei LCD a week ago and the bezel was actually bigger than the lcd by far.. maybe 5mm of steel encasing the screen under the plastic? maybe get 6 screens and make a custom bezel for the lot.. mmm modding :dremel:

16. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

Beyond 30" monitors they could make super widescreen monitors, i would rather wait for a single monitor solution than sticking lots of monitors together.

17. Krayzie_B.o.n.e.

Krayzie_B.o.n.e. What's a Dremel?

Someone needs to make No Bezel LED monitors for this very reason.

instead of one expensive gpu by two mid price ones and get the same performance
    instead of one big expensive TV buy 3 or 6 mid price ones for a bigger set up

18. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

no anything over 120hz is a gimmick. You can clearly see a difference between a 60 and 120hz LCD.

But ya I game on a 30" DoubleSight DS-305W, want to talk about awesome and the color quality being a H-IPS panel is amazing.

19. shawnoen

shawnoen What's a Dremel?

Where did you get those BLACK mini displayport to displayport cables?

I've been looking all over for them and NO ONE has black ones. Only white (for Apple I assume)....

I want to get black cables to run straight from the card to my U2410s w/o having to use a mini displayport to displayport adapter.

20. knutjb

knutjb What's a Dremel?

What I didn't see was that maybe the monitor manufacturers need to be shoved into making larger monitors with a pixel count equal to, or greater than, what AMD is pushing. A single, large super high res monitor capable of taking that output is viable if the manufacturers see a market. Now they have a reason.

This has broader implications than just gaming, medical digital imaging has been moving towards this for some time. They need 40-50 in super high res screens 4-8 times higher than current products.Greater demand, greater likelihood of production.

Tags: Add Tags