1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage Hard Drive Causing Boot Loops

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hughwi, 25 Sep 2013.

1. hughwi

hughwi Minimodder

Hi Guys,

So, quick overview of the problem.

I recently upgraded my RAM, and had some issues using all 6 slots on the motherboard, the machine would randomly BSOD, and then would not boot into windows, getting stuck in a loop.

I tested all of the RAM sticks and slots individually, and all are error free. After some digging, it seems that there is an issue with the voltage regulation when all slots are used (e.g. underpowered).

I managed to get the machine to boot and it has been working fine with 1 stick removed, so 5 in total.

I decided to have another go last night (a decision I now sorely regret) and installed the extra stick again. Immediately the system got stuck in a POST loop. I reset the CMOS, and was able to get to the windows loading screen, but again, this got stuck in a loop. I made sure that each time the ports were set to AHCI mode (as I am running a couple of SSDs).

The problem is that now with any number of sticks installed, I cannot boot successfully into windows with all my harddrives connected, even with CMOS defaults. I think I have narrowed it down to my storage drive (the only mechanical drive in the system) causing the issues. - With just my 2 SSDs attached, the system boots perfectly fine.

I have tried changing the boot priority, and changing SATA channels, no luck. The interesting thing is that when I moved the storage drive from the built in Sata Chip, to the 3rd party Sata3 controller, the system progresses from POST looping, to partially loading windows and then restarting in a loop.

Does anyone have any ideas? - I dont have any spare SATA cables unfortunately. - This is my next step (I have already removed, checked and reseated all connections).

Thanks

Hugh

2. hughwi

hughwi Minimodder

Tried a different cable, still the same deal, no one has any ideas?

3. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Download Parted Magic. Burn to disc/USB. Boot from that and use the built in HDD health program to test your mechanical hard drive.