1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage Hard drive e problem can't be fixedproblems after hardware upgrade

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by KD88, 12 Apr 2012.

1. KD88

KD88 Minimodder

I installed a new i5 2550K CPU and Asus P8Z68-V/Gen3 motherboard and on booting the Windows flag emblem on the black background forms, pulses a few times and then a blue screen flashes for less than a second.
    I've managed to film it on my phone, e-mail it to myself and take a screen shot to illustrate the fault

[​IMG]

On restart it asks if I want to run startuprepair, it then displays a box doing a repair process which eventually finishes and tells me the problem can't be fixed.

Any suggestions?

2. Nealieboyee

Nealieboyee Packaging Master!

If you installed a new mobo and cpu, then you will most probably have to do a clean install of windows because the current windows install has all your old mobo drivers...

3. towelie

towelie How do I Internet!!

So i am assuming you have reinstalled windows since changing motherboard.

As your old windows version will have drivers for the chipset of the old M/B?

Was posting as Nealie Boyee was Beat me to it...

4. KD88

KD88 Minimodder

Thanks for the quick replies.

I've put the windows disk in and rebooted. Starts and asks if I want upgrade or custom.

I can't do custom because I stupidly haven't backed up my hard drive.

5. towelie

towelie How do I Internet!!

6. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

you could try the fix for 7b errors, it means getting to the repair my computer

run cmd prompt

regedit

and looking for the disk controllers entries in the registry, off hand i cant remember which ones you need to change, but it doesn't always work, its something to do with the intel disk controllers

7. Somer_Himpson

Somer_Himpson What's a Dremel?

Even if you reinstall Windows (And don't format), your old Windows files and folders will be available in the folder Windows.old once you have installed the new OS

8. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

:duh:

Somer is right though.... the folders should still be there if you re-install without formatting... so you SHOULDN'T lose any data... but seriously.. why are you trying ANY of this without backing up? Download an acronis recovery disk, boot from it, and back up the drive to something else... then just format it, and do a clean install. It's definitely teh best way.

My advice is... no matter how much drive space you have... always have the same amount of disk space available for back up.. on separate drives.

9. KD88

KD88 Minimodder

Ok, I've re-installed Windows and the PC is working.

As suggested the old files and programs are listed in Windows old but I can't open any docs or run any of the programs.

Any suggestions?

10. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

you can try going to the security settings of the folders, changing them to suit

11. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

You'll have to re-download the programs into the new install, then copy & paste over your files from .windows old before deleting it to free up what I imagine will be a few hundred gigs of data.

12. KD88

KD88 Minimodder

Not sure what I have to change exactly. I've messed about a bit with no luck but I've noticed pictures, photos and music is ok but I cant get my documents to open with Office.

Also it appears that the other programs are there but not active. How do I get the system working as it was?

Sorry if this sounds stupid, but I'm learning as problems occur.

13. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

office will need to reinstalled, as will other programs

14. KD88

KD88 Minimodder

I've re-installed office and all's well with documents.

Next problem is that I can't connect to the internet. I've realized that the software for the wireless network isn't accessible but I can't re-install unless I'm connected to the internet. I therefor bought a longer ethernet cable so I could connect directly to the modem (in another room) but it will still not access the web.

I called Virgin for help and the lady at the other end talked me through a sequence that checked the IP address which was not the correct one then told me that the fault lay with the PC but wouldn't go any further.

Any Suggestions?

15. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 #noob

post the details on here of the following

ipconfig /all

ping 8.8.8.8

nslookup google.com

This should show us your internal ip, if you have net access and if your dns is working correctly

16. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

you probably just need to install the drivers for the wireless, goto device manager

find wireless adaptor in the list, tell it to search for drivers in window.old/system32

that should find the drivers

17. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

^That.

Clean install means reinstalling everything; you should have a driver disk that came with the mobo- you need to run that & install all the ethernet drivers & a few others, then update them.