1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hard drive fails - pc now doesnt boot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MrABC, 26 Dec 2002.

1. MrABC

MrABC What's a Dremel?

ARGH!!!! How crappy can this get!? There I was trying to download Gundam Seed off ppl and burning a CD, when i heard a few clicks from my hard drive. "ok, thats not good i thought" but i left it to rectify itself anyway, as the downloads were still going and i didnt want to lose my queue. 2 mins later, my hdd light goes all red (not flashing) and a blue screen appears telling me that i got some kernel paging error of some sort.
    i was sort of mad by this time - but i pressed the reset button and nowmy pc doesnt boot. actually, it now doesn't power on!
    using the lovely cusl2-ls mobo - which is perfectly ok, as the green light is on (so there is power) i tried switching on again. nothing. It wont power on!!!!! argh!!!
    i have deduced a number of factors.
    1) psu = crap. 235W is not going to drive 1 DVD, 1 CDRW, 2x HDDs and about...3 fans, as well as a pci card and an agp card. Also the floppy disk. and an overclocked processor and ram.
    2) hdd's have buggered. I use an old 2gb hdd (PIO) with a fairly new 40gb hdd (mode 5) -you'd think there'd be some incompatibility? I am testing this right now on bro's pc
    3) the mobo is buggered. dont see how this cud happen. maybe the reset switch interrupted power to kill the bios? this is not going be likely.
    4) er...I could only think of 3 atm.

i also made the pc power on today. dunno how, i was jiggering about with the IDE connectors on the mobo!? neway, i noticed my hdd's integrated (40g one) activity led just kept on flashing and nuffin comes up on screen. i switched it off re-arranged the ide cables and switched it on. NOT powering. again. back to square one?

2. felix the cat

felix the cat Spaceman Spiff

reset bios

take out all but cpu, ram, and gfx to eliminate all problems and put them back one by one..

clicking in the hdd, means ussually the click of death as found in the ibm deathstar...

3. MrABC

MrABC What's a Dremel?

but this is not an ibm drive...ah crap.
    well, further testing, i booted into the BIOS correctly so it isnt a bios problem. the power supply problem is eliminated as i tried another power supply and it wudnt turn on.

i think that the problem is with the power switch. i tinkered about with the jumpers to try and get the mobo working with just cpu, ram and gfx and i must've short circuited or something - but it turned on and booted into bios. when i try again, it doesnt power on. left it for a few mins to eat, swapped around the power switch jumper with the reset - pressed reset and it powered (but didnt detect hdd's, so i cudnt get into os). i switched it off, changed cable and it wudnt power.

so it cud be a power switching prolem. lol. quite simple :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: just wondering how this could've happened when the hdd started clicking