1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hard Drive Not Appearing After Unplugging

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by dirtbiker, 23 Dec 2007.

1. dirtbiker

dirtbiker What's a Dremel?

Hi Guys,

Got a weird little problem that I could use some help with. Basically I've got a 200gb Seagate IDE HDD that I use to keep my music and films on which I unplugged to test another hard drive (which had been dropped and therefore didn't work).

When I plugged the drive back in (no changes to the jumpers etc) it failed to appear in My Computer

I can find the drive through the Management console but it says "Uninitiallized". Once initiallized the drive will appear in My Computer with it's previous drive letter (D) but when I attempt to explore it Windows asks me to format it.

The films and music aren't backed up so I'd really rather not have to format it so is there any way I can get it working properly again?

Cheers

2. Spaceraver

Spaceraver Ultralurker

Try a USB enclosure just in case...

3. dirtbiker

I'll have a go with a USB enclosure tomorrow to see if that works... Cheers

I've just run SeaTools on the drive and it passes the Short Generic test but fails the Short DST. Tomorrow I'll run a long DST on it and see what errors it throws up.

Seems very weird to have screwed up the drive just by unplugging it from my system though!

4. dirtbiker

I've now got the drive plugged into a USB enclosure and windows does recognise it.

Problem is there's no way of getting to the files, the drive comes up in the Device Manager under the Disk drives section but there's no way of assigning it a drive letter...

Any ideas people?!

5. Computer Gremlin

Computer Gremlin What's a Dremel?

Try a Ubuntu live CD and see if the files can be retrieved. If they don't show up then something mechanical broke on the drive. Does the hard drive show any sign of life?

6. dirtbiker

The hard drive can be heard to spin up and the activity light works on the USB enclosure that it's currently in.

Will have a go with Ubuntu now... Good idea! :)

7. dirtbiker

No luck with the Ubuntu live cd, drive didn't show up at all...

Looks like I'm going to have to format it and see if it works (bummer!)

Any other ideas before I do?

8. Computer Gremlin

Computer Gremlin What's a Dremel?

Don't format the hard drive, try attaching a different molex power connector and if it still does not work install the hard drive on a another computer as a slave device. If neither works then the data is probably gone.

9. dirtbiker

No luck with any of the above suggestions so I've bitten the bullet and formatted the drive, hopefully it'll work once that's finished!

10. dirtbiker

Well, new problem!

When I try to format the drive it will progress fine untill the very end when I get the BSOD.

Happens with Quick format and a full length format.

Any ideas why this might be and what I should do next?

I'm guessing the drive's way out of warranty tbh... Seagate ST3200822A Barracuda Plus 200GB 7200RPM ATA/100 8MB Cache - OEM bought on 26/4/06

Edit: Just noticed that I had to RMA one of these at the time due to a DOA drive... Hmm!