1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hard Drive Preference

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Raven, 18 Jul 2002.

1. Raven

Raven What's a Dremel?

Hello all,

I'm looking at purchasing a 7200rpm drive, just a cheap one for my parents computer. My choices have been narrowed down between three companies.

I just wanted to know which one you would choose?

Seagate - Never tried there drives so not sure about quality

Maxtor - Always found them reliable, but lately I have not been impressed with there drives.

Western Digital - Was told there Ok drives.

Just looking for your opinions, before I make a choice.

Thx

2. batsman

batsman the quiet one

Seagate drives are fast and reliable was very impressed with my baracudda,

western digital have been around for ages and do some quality drives.

not much experience with maxtor, ony thing is that there 7200 rpm drives are ATA133 (but is there any real gain? cos dont all other manufactures ATA100 perform about the same as the maxtor ATA133 drives

i would go for seagate if you want a drive upto 60GB, for 80 Gb+ then go for western digital for as you can get their 8MB cache drives in 80, 100, and 120 GB

also you might want to look at http://www.storagereview.com
    and
    http://www.tomshardware.com/

3. Lord_A

Lord_A Boom baby!

Western Digital is my choice in drives, been using them ever since Conner got bought out from Seagate (I think?) Never had any problems with WD, very reliable and fast.

4. Adam

Adam Minimodder

I can definitely recommend my barracuda IV, it's pretty much silent (i can't hear it anyway), and it's super fast.

IBM drives in my experience are very fast drives, but the failure rate is worrying. If it's your parents machine it probably won't have much uptime so you should consider the 120GXP.

5. brutal

brutal What's a Dremel?

im pretty much a WD and Seagate person. The best IMHO are the Special Edition WD's and the Seagate Barracuda IV's for IDE.

6. GiGo

GiGo was once a nerd.....

I thought Western Digital and Maxtors were made by the same people?

Oh well,

I've had a seagate for 4 years no problems what to ever!

Had a maxtor for about 2 years had tons of problems with it, infact i've had 4 replacements!

Was going to get an IBM but was put off by poor reliability

I would go for a Seagate barracuda IV or V. I know there cheap(ish) and quiet. 8mb of cache on an 80GB drive, i think they do 10000rpm version as well?

7. eddie_dane

eddie_dane Used to mod pc's now I mod houses

I have had my Maxtor 60GB 7200rpm ATA133 drive with the liquid bearing.. I cannot hear this drive, it is amazing plenty fast. If I were pressed, I would bet the Seagate baracuda was faster from what I have read, you don't gain that much with ATA 133 but it is certainly fast and if you get the model with the liquid bearing, you won't hear it!... So my vote would be for Maxtor or Seagate..

8. essjaytee

essjaytee emtarkanderundergunderson

Gcotterill, Maxtor and Quantum are the same company. And in that mess there's also Conner (who were bought out a while ago) Conner produced the Crappiest. Drives. Ever.

I'd take a Maxtor or Seagate. I have bought a ton of Maxtors here for corporate workstation use and they produce less headaches (returns) than pretty much all other drives.

later,

S.

9. JazzXP

JazzXP Eh! Steve

Personally I won't touch seagate... I have had 4 stuff up on me in an 18 month period, and a 2 friends of mine had theirs break down within a year of having them (All of them were Baracuddas I believe).

I have twin Maxtors in my PC running RAID, and they are going well, although I've only had them for a few months. I have also always liked the Western Digital drives.

10. hprcrazyguy

hprcrazyguy Minimodder

Well after searching the net and browsing a few forums I decided to go with Seagate Barracuda IV's because I've they are reliable, fast, and quiet. Hopefully I will have my machine up and these 2 drives in RAID 0 and then I will see if I made the right decision. But I have had no problems with my previoius Western Digital drives, a 19 and 30 GB models. They have performed very well in my experience. Just my $.02 :D

11. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

If its a cheapo for your parents get the seagate! They come in 20-80gig flavours, are VERY quiet and quite cheap now.

Have had m8 80gig running a file server 24/7 for a few months and it hasnt let me down yet :)

12. Raven

Raven What's a Dremel?

Thanks All and the winner is...

Thanks for all you input and the winner is....

*Drum Roll*

Seagate
    Barracuda IV 60G 7200rpm

13. xen0morph

xen0morph Bargain wine connoisseur

I fitted a 7200RPM 40 gig Seagate Barracuda to my Dad's PC about 6 months ago and it's still fine.

Seriously, my dad thrashes drives. He killed an IBM in 2 months :worried:

14. felix the cat

felix the cat Spaceman Spiff

nope....that is just IBM drives being their usuall gayehness...:sigh: