1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hard Drive Problem (I Think)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lessthanjake, 17 Sep 2004.

1. lessthanjake

lessthanjake What's a Dremel?

I was wondering if any one could tell me if this is a hardware problem I think it is but i am unsure, basically a few weeks ago my computer started freezing up which i thought was an OS problem so i backed up my stuff reformatted and started again with a clean install of XP, i only installed the bare minimum (office winrar getright realplayer shareaza), it was fine for 3 days but now when i load it up it boots fine but when it goes to the desktop it just freezes i once managed to get the system information and it said CPU usage was 100% which seems impossible as it was not actually doing anything, i think it is a hard drive problem as everything works fine when i use Suse live linux
    I am using windows XP, a DFI infinity ultra, a 20 gb maxtor(master)
    seagate 160g(slave)
    does this sound coherant with a hard drive issue
    thanks

2. tainted

tainted What's a Dremel?

sounds like it could be a overheating problem, what are the cpu and case temps?

3. aaronrkelly

aaronrkelly What's a Dremel?

Sounds like a virus/spyware problem if CPU useage is that high....

4. epidemik

epidemik What's a Dremel?

id probly say thats a virus problem aswell unplug your 160gb.

and just load with the 20gb :worried:

5. riluve

riluve What's a Dremel?

Actually I am RMA'ing a MoBo right now because one socket would remain at 80-90% CPU usage.

I completely exchanged the HD (and thus all software including all drivers), and all hardware (including the CPU's), and this one socket will always say 80-90% CPU usage.

So, sad to say it wasn't a virus, the OS, or the HD, it was the MoBo.

Anyway - I would check to see if your CPU usage ever goes down (mine would never never go lower than 80%)

6. lessthanjake

lessthanjake What's a Dremel?

Temperatures are all fine, it is running with both case sides off and i have throttled back to stock settings (was running 185fsb) and i have come to the conclusion it is not the Mobo as i am able to use all the same stuff just fine with Suse Live Linux and as for a virus problem, well it is possible but i would be very suprised if i had picked up a crippling virus after a week as i have a firewall, adaware and a virus checker.

7. Froggy

Froggy What's a Dremel?

Having that software means nothing. Ive seen fresh windows installations get infested with viruses and spyware within minutes of install. Even my computer caught CoolWebSearch last night somehow.