1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage Hard Drive Question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LeMaltor, 3 Mar 2009.

1. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

I have just bought a Samsung F1 1TB :D

I currently have a 200GB HDD with Windows XP Pro 32-bit and all my stuff on it. I really wanted to try Windows 7 with the Samsung drive as primary, will Windows 7 see my old hard drive if I remove it before installing Windows 7 then connect it back up once windows is installed? and will I be able to access the stuff on it without having to format it for Windows to see it. I know a bit about comps but I've had one hard drive for years so I can't remember how this all works :wallbash:

Do I just Dual boot them with XP on one disc and 7 on the other?

Mobo is Abit IP35 Pro XE

2. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

i went about it in an odd way.

a already had a 20Gb partition free, so i burned the ISO to DVD, and then booted the DVD to install win7, this way it adds the windows boot manager to your start up.

I guess, dont quote me on this, that when installing on any hard drive as long as you go via the bootable DVD route that the win7 install manager will create it self some space with in any free space.

Dont try installing via XP or any other OS, as the install manager acts differently and considers it as an upgrade rather than a dual boot

3. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

It's no problem to put Windows 7 on the Samsung drive, I just want it then to be able to access my files on the old hard drive. If I just plug it in will Windows 7 see it?

4. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

Mum stop posting in my thread :(

5. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

yeah win7 will see it

LeMaltor likes this.
  6. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

Cool, thanks for the help :D