1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Hard drive secrets sold cheaply

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by GreatOldOne, 9 Jun 2004.

1. sadffffff

sadffffff Minimodder

like i said, i suspect that most people getting a new drive wont bother with data recovery, because, why? are they to assume that every drive for sale has some super secret world changing information on it? And if its not a simple matter of pop it in and browse then a quick format would probably deturr most people that were not specifically looking for top secret data on random hard drives on ebay.
    So, yes, a person whom was looking to find data on drives they buy second hand... for some reason, could get the data back with ease from a quick format, or even non-quick formats. but i have my doubts that a random person buying a random drive would scour for random information. And if you have something you know is that dangerous to get out then you probably shouldnt be selling it online anyway.

2. Rekarp

Rekarp What's a Dremel?

how about a big hammer :hehe:

3. Infraggable Krunk

Infraggable Krunk What's a Dremel?

jeesh your like the only person who knows what they are talking about :p

on monday ( and tuesday :D) at work i tried a LLF on a hard drive that was about to be tossed ( chkdsk said it had unrecoverable errors) and low and behold it fixed the drive. We normally dont do a llf on normal occasions but it was a staff computer and it was a 200 gb hd so it seemed like a waste

oh yeah it took forever

4. Green Soda

Green Soda What's a Dremel?

I dont get why they sold the disc anyway, for a few dollars?

In the states, thats illegal. ANY kind of info about a person in Helthcare, Legal Records, and a few other industries MUST be destroyed. And certified to be destroyed. This includes paper material, data on drives/discs, and anything else, including scratched into a desk :lol:

You actaully need to have a certificate of destruction that delcares where/when/how the document was destroyed. Most of this is just destroyed in masses, which is great because its economical and then your really safe becuase everything gets mixed together.

Most of this stuff is covered by HIPAA for the healthcare areas. Its quite a profitable affair, your taking paper in the "banker boxes", seal them, than have a truck take them to a facility to shred them, and then bleach the remains. Plus, they charge huge prices, for a minimal operational cost :clap:

Thermite is also VERY effective :D 1:1 ratio's = :rock:

5. modz-a-lot

modz-a-lot What's a Dremel?

here is a great program that can make it impossible for anyone to recover hdd data (i've used it...real easy)

EDIT:forgot the link (but caught myself) DUH :duh:
    here it is http://dban.sourceforge.net/

6. Green Soda

Green Soda What's a Dremel?

From the site:
    If the drive can still spin and has magnetic properties, chances are the Feds can get your data. Would take a massive ammount of time and resources to do so, but it can and more importantly has been done.

I'll take thermite and a high-powered CRT degauser any day and fork over the $80 for a new drive :hehe:

7. Herbicide

Herbicide Lurktacular

GCHQ (The listening Station in Cheltenham) apparently reccommends their employees to literally remove the top layer of all the platters in the HDD.

For commercial use, try a program that uses a seven pass wipe, then use it again. (damn near) utterly irrecoverable.

Tags: Add Tags