I'm sure many of you have seen this done before, but I thought I'd show you my quick effort I put together this morning. The hard drive was donated by KRONOS for a uni project which is still to come, but in the mean time I thought I'd have a little fun. It's made from a broken Seagate 500GB Barracuda. I removed the platters and motor bearing, although this isn't necessary, I wanted them to start on my uni project. I connected the speaker cables to the back (here's a picture guide, although keep in mind that I just followed the traces on the ribbon cable to the rear and connected the wires there), and connected it up to my 2x250W power-amp. The sound was quite miffled like this, and very tinny, so I added a cone using an old lid from a stack of DVDR's, which is bolted onto the hard drive head. Finally, I added a plastic throwaway cup, which is just glued in place. These two mods really improve the volume, and add some much needed bass. The sound is still a little tinny, and it struggles with too much bass, which causes vibrations. So when I have time I'll remove the crossover from one of my floorstanding speakers and use the midrange frequency only. This should remove most of the high and low end frequencies, hopefully avoiding it's limitations. There's also some more broken hard-drives on their way, so I might look at using two more, one as a tweeter (use a 2.5" drive), and one as a sub (find a larger, more rigid cone to fit). Finally, here's a quick video taken with my phone. Sorry for the poor quality, but hopefully it demonstrates it's performance, and limitations. Edit. The video starts without any sound, but it get's quite loud towards the middle, so watch out.