1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Hard Drive Speaker.

Discussion in 'Modding' started by dullonien, 1 Mar 2012.

1. dullonien

dullonien Master of the unfinished.

I'm sure many of you have seen this done before, but I thought I'd show you my quick effort I put together this morning. The hard drive was donated by KRONOS for a uni project which is still to come, but in the mean time I thought I'd have a little fun.

[​IMG]

It's made from a broken Seagate 500GB Barracuda. I removed the platters and motor bearing, although this isn't necessary, I wanted them to start on my uni project. I connected the speaker cables to the back (here's a picture guide, although keep in mind that I just followed the traces on the ribbon cable to the rear and connected the wires there), and connected it up to my 2x250W power-amp.

The sound was quite miffled like this, and very tinny, so I added a cone using an old lid from a stack of DVDR's, which is bolted onto the hard drive head. Finally, I added a plastic throwaway cup, which is just glued in place. These two mods really improve the volume, and add some much needed bass.

The sound is still a little tinny, and it struggles with too much bass, which causes vibrations. So when I have time I'll remove the crossover from one of my floorstanding speakers and use the midrange frequency only. This should remove most of the high and low end frequencies, hopefully avoiding it's limitations. There's also some more broken hard-drives on their way, so I might look at using two more, one as a tweeter (use a 2.5" drive), and one as a sub (find a larger, more rigid cone to fit).

Finally, here's a quick video taken with my phone. Sorry for the poor quality, but hopefully it demonstrates it's performance, and limitations.

[​IMG]

Edit. The video starts without any sound, but it get's quite loud towards the middle, so watch out.

Last edited: 1 Mar 2012
  2. Puk

Puk (A shrewd and knavish sprite)

Ha, thats pretty cool, new one on me, good for a laugh!

3. dynamis_dk

dynamis_dk Grr... Grumpy!!

lol thats ace.. never seen that before.

Think thats next xmas's think to waste some quite time at work - keep lads entertained for a while I'm sure lol