1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hard Drive Window

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by linear, 22 Jan 2002.

1. danielctull

danielctull What's a Dremel?

auction sites are good for old small hard drives o practce on. i got 6 hard drives (between 40 and 400 megs) for £5.60. as long as you set your limit, you'll be ok...

2. Kyle Gagnet

Kyle Gagnet What's a Dremel?

What doing this mod on a 40gig Maxtor? The ridges on top are all curved and it doesn't seem like it would look good to have a window that shape. So i was thinking about just replacing the top of the HD with a piece of plexi the same size. This seems like it would be less risky. While it wouldn't look as classy, it would still look cool from a window.

3. ::Dawg::

::Dawg:: What's a Dremel?

I loved this mod so much i tempted it myself! LOL, indeed "whats a dremel?"

Tested on a Seagate 2Gb HDD...

I mounted the window on the inside and made the case edges curve down so it looks like the window is actually melted with the metal.

Only problem is i didn't realize it is putting pressure on the inside.

The drive spins up but the pressure is making it spin prob around 2000rpm instead of 5400. :-(

Hey, i have a nice paperweight? I think its a good try for my first mod.

Did i mention I did it at work, and got paid $8/hr for it? muhahahh

4. linear

linear Minimodder

That's the sweetest part...

5. knoj

knoj What's a Dremel?

Thank you for the inspiration!

I feel like a looser making an exact copy of what someone else has already done, but I like this alot, and I am guessing I will be the first person in Iowa to have a sweet drive like this. Mine is going inside my 100% clear HTPC. Nothing in this case will have a valid waranty... ha ha ha!

The inside of my case will be lit with several blacklight LED's My concern is possibly an interference problem with UV? Anyone know?

Oh, something that might be helpfull to anyone attempting this on a WD Caviar drive (and maybe others too, I'm not sure if this is standard) the size torx driver you will need is: T8 I purchased a whole set at Sears, cause I didn't know which size I needed, and ended up returning the whole set, and taking my HD in and just trying them out untill I found the right one.

Sears sells the T8 Torx driver for $3.99. They also carry Dremel tools, and Needle File sets. Luckily, I work for 3M so I get sand paper for about $0.01/sheet, and many other products real cheep!

6. knoj

knoj What's a Dremel?

He he...

I got me one! :lol:

[​IMG]

Notice I found some gray electrical tape to seal the edge?

Too bad the larger WD's are that stupid round case.. Oh well.

Any one do this on a 60G or larger?

I think my DVD-ROM is next to go under the knife.

7. ::Dawg::

Is there anyway you could fit some 3mm or 5mm blue LEDs inside the harddrive with a window in it? Would provide a nice lighting effect, I just dont know where you would get the power.

8. knoj

knoj What's a Dremel?

Yeah, I have some blacklight LED's and I was thinking about putting 1 or 2 in there, but I didn't want to play around much with the top off... I think you could try it out on a dead drive, then try it on a newer one. I am going to be using that 1.6G I just posted above to run all of my system files off of.

9. ::Dawg::

but how would you wire in some LEDs to a power source inside the hdd?:worried:

10. knoj

knoj What's a Dremel?

I was thinking of making a molex power plug addapter that is both ends, and it just plugs into the outside of the power receptical for the HD, and running a very small pair of wires in through the crack under the electrical tape.

What do you think? I don't think this would create too much of an eye sore.

11. ::Dawg::

I was under the impression that any crack in the seal would permit dust to enter the drive which is a very very bad thing :nono: So thats why i am puzzled

12. knoj

knoj What's a Dremel?

This particular type of case already has a crack in it, and I was just thinking of running a pair of small wires under the seal, you could even drill a small hole in the top part while you are putting the window in, then put the wires though the hole, and then fill the hole with glue, or silicone.

There is plenty of room to put 1 LED in each corner, and you could hide the resistors there too.

I am still going to stick with my case lighting, and not lighting the HD. What I would like to see is a nice anodized aluminium case. Maybe a red one with a window. Dupli-Color makes paint that is supposed to look like anodized aluminum, but it's not the real thing.

13. www.josh.org.uk

www.josh.org.uk What's a Dremel?

very very cool ! i am trying it on an old western digital 365mb !! :p your article is very good! i tried to cut the window bit with a stanley knife (the metal part) but it didn't work, so then i dremmeled it... now i'm wondering where you got the parts from?

Thanks

Josh

14. kman

kman What's a Dremel?

15. Mikki

Mikki What's a Dremel?

linear, is this something you'd consider doing for someone else? There's a lot of things I'd do, but I don't have the b@lls for this, esp. with my main drive.... :)

16. fatal_error

fatal_error What's a Dremel?

Linear: m wondering if u could do a mod like this with the whole of the lid made of perspex? i have the same drive as u used in ur article, do the platters/head stick out above the top?:confused:

sweet mod

17. linear

linear Minimodder

The tapped holes for five of the seven screws that secure the lid stand proud of the armature and platters, by a very narrow margin. So on closer inspection of this disassembled housing right here, I'd say yes.

Get hold of a dead drive (they're cheap!) and try your luck with that as a template first. Once you get a lid worked out, move it to the nice new (working) drive.

A vacuformed acrylic lid would be insanely badass, I don't have the tooling to do it though.

18. fatal_error

fatal_error What's a Dremel?

this might very well get tried...:naughty:

cheers

19. taribo

taribo What's a Dremel?

20. Kameleon

Kameleon is watching you...

So, a year and a half later - does it still work? :D I'm thinking of doing one of my WD1200JBs, the adrenaline rush will be quite something too I suspect ;)

Tags: Add Tags