1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hard times, such generous people....

Discussion in 'Serious' started by dunx, 5 Sep 2012.

1. dunx

dunx ITX is where it's at !

As a car nut I've long been connected to car clubs that tried to help disadvantaged kids at xmas, charity trackdays, etc.

But, recently my local club had an appeal for a poorly lad in West Yorkshire, to arrange a car meet for Subaru, Evo, GTR, Porsche, etc.

In a recession times are hard but the list of people who are willing to travel up to Yorkshire for this lad is amazing, from all over the country at their own expense.

If you are local (or not) and you wish to attend the ONLY option is via Scoobynet

http://bbs.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/947972-losing-my-son-please-help.html

Or donate via Paypal to help :blush:

dunx

P.S. I'm going through bad times myself but it's nothing compared to this....

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Heart-warming indeed. If I weren't busy this weekend I might have been there too... But one thing about it all bugs me.

Earlier in the thread on scoobynet the OP says he hasn't told his son that he has terminal cancer. Now I can't imagine how hard it must be for them, as parents with a terminally ill child, it's just totally beyond my scope of experience, but I can't shake the feeling that, even though he's a child, he has a right to know that he's not going to get better soon. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's how I feel on it.

3. dunx

dunx ITX is where it's at !

I would imagine that's the hardest thing to have to say in your life...

I don't have kids, but can't imagine the pain.

To see people heading up from Guernsey is amazing.

dunx

4. Carrie

Carrie Multimodder

The child is only 11 and presumably his parents know him well enough to know whether or not he'll get the best out of life for his remaining 4 weeks if he doesn't know. It takes an extremely brave, strong and quite extraordinary child to be able to deal with something so extreme without it impacting on the few short weeks of joy he could experience not focusing on the inevitable.

5. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Tricky. Ignorance, as they say, is bliss. On the other hand if he knows that he is deteriorating (which depends on how his brain tumors have affected his cognitive ability) then it may actually cause him more anxiety if his parents and health care professionals are not acknowledging that fact to him and help him integrate and prepare for his dying.

Either way, I expect that his parents and he have the support of their local hospice and the palliative care team, both of which are expert in helping the family find the best way to deal with this crap situation for them. So I wouldn't worry about it.

6. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

True, I'm sure. The only worry I have is that someone stupid will let it slip this weekend while he's wandering round a huge motor gathering dedicated to him.

7. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

My experience is that people assiduously avoid mentioning dying to the dying whenever possible...