1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Hardware 17 - Ramobo: First Blood

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 20 Jan 2011.

1. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

lol, Rammobo :lol:

i think bit-tech staff are just tied of cheap knock-off tablets, such as the Next (cloth shop) tablet, which happen to be running android.

2. coolius

coolius What's a Dremel?

Hey guys, I love your podcast and have been listening ever since the first one. However please stick to the PC Hardware discussion rather than mobile phones and tablets which you clearly are not experts in!
    I am also surprised that you didn't mention the Windows ARM demonstration or nVidia's desktop project which were surely the most relevant points of each keynote to this site?
    Plus it's pretty clear that none of you have much experience with android which is surprising as I thought you were advocates of open-source software and modding devices?

Apart from that - keep up the good work!

3. Flanananagan

Flanananagan What's a Dremel?

As much as I love Android, and as much as I loathe people that use iPhones and iOS for their misinformed choices, iOS DID come first, and Android did take a lot of the UI features (improved on them nonetheless, but still used them).

4. Ergath

Ergath Giant Zombie Pigeon Photographer

P.S. Parts of the UK are very likely to get 4G in the next year. You heard it here first.

So you might get chance to use your (as yet imaginary) iPhone 5 4G... or you could just use one of the "cheap knock-off" :D Android handsets which have been supporting 4G for months.

EDIT - @Flanananagan - Xerox developed the first GUI, elements of which have been used by OSes ever since - does this make Windows, Linux and Mac OS a knock-off of Xerox's Star?

Last edited: 21 Jan 2011
  5. Flanananagan

Flanananagan What's a Dremel?

No, not at all, just the layout of apps on a homescreen in both OS' are similar (and android came second).

6. Ergath

Ergath Giant Zombie Pigeon Photographer

Not wanting to be argumentative (and I won't be posting more in this thread in order to avoid calls of "LOL @ butthurt fandroid!!1!") but I can't agree with you Flanananagan; all of my WinMo devices since way back when had applications laid out in a grid - the background was white instead of black but that's the only major difference. It's true that the actual homescreen was different (particularly as it could be customised with widgets a la Android), but there again, my old Palm OS Tungsten T3 used a homescreen with applications in a grid, and that dated from 2003.

Yes, Android has drawn from iOS, in the same way that all GUIs draw on existing platforms, but Android only "copies" iOS in that it's well designed, slick and intuitive.

Tags: Add Tags