1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Music Harmonica: Which + Tutorials?

Discussion in 'General' started by relix, 2 Dec 2007.

1. relix

relix Minimodder

I'm interested in learning to play Harmonica. I've had 7 years experience of playing the flute, but that was ages ago, and I'm sure the method used to play a Harmonica is much different. Either way, I'd like to learn it, so I'm looking for tutorials or lessons online (since I don't have time to take lessons irl). Free, of course, since I'm but a poor student ;).

Also I'd like to know which one would be best to buy. I read online that a diatonic one is best, with 1 row of 10 holes, to begin with. What key should I start with, though? I've read online that beginners like G and A best. Others say C is easiest.

Anyone else plays a harmonica here?

2. Lorquis

Lorquis lorquisSpamCount++;

I say this in the kindest way possible.

I am under 60 years old. I do not chew straw whilst perching on a bale of hay or my tractor. I am not an extra from deliverance, and finally, I have more than 3 teeth.

No I do not play the harmonica.. NEXT!

3. relix

relix Minimodder

Most helpful post, ever?

Either way, hope you get well soon ;).

4. lamboman

lamboman What's a Dremel?

Did it for a while myself, and got very bored. BUT, C is probably the easiest key to start with, as it means that you don't have to worry about flats, sharps, double sharps, etc. Mind, that means that you will have to learn to bend notes if you want those. Then after that, you could move on to chromatic ones. Have two myself lol, never played em.

5. Mudbugclub

Mudbugclub What's a Dremel?

Buy a few Neil Young records, and play along! That's what I did, I can play a few tunes now. Don't listen to Dylan.

6. relix

relix Minimodder

Alright, at the end of the week I'll have a Lee Oskar Major Diatonic (C). Found lots of free help from links on the wikipedia article on Harmonica's so that should do the trick. Thanks for the tips!

Tags: