1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Has anyone ever made a DIY Buttkicker?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Parge, 1 Aug 2014.

1. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

I should have known this would be pointed out :lol:

2. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Dread to think what she would do in this thing

3. Parge

By the way, I wanted to bump this thread. Its not getting the traction it deserves - tactile transducers are genuinely a game changer. The ability to FEEL massive explosions and heavy gunfire are absolutely INCREDIBLE......and I need someone else to talk to about it :D

4. ferret141

ferret141 Well-Known Member

What would be the outlay to get into this? ~£20?

5. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

I may be tempted to fit my R3v with something similar this summer...

6. Parge

My shopping list is below:

Dayton Pucks - £32
    Lepai Amp - £6
    12v 2A Plug - £4
    Speaker wire - £1
    Drill/Arbor - £10

You might already have a hole saw, speaker wire and power adaptor. If so £32 for the Pucks and £6 for the amp.

Doooooo it!

7. ModSquid

ModSquid Active Member

I'm tempted too! Few questions though: do you have to countersink the pucks, or can you just surface mount them? Do you do what I think is the obvious choice and just connect/disconnect the wire to the amp whenever not gaming? And finally, do you reckon I could run a lead from an onboard sub speaker output to the Pucks/amp for the sub-bass, plus one from headphone out to the main amp for the rest of the channels?

8. PaulC2K

PaulC2K PC Master Race

Just spotted this in your sig Parge.

I think its something well worth highlighting to anyone interested in doing this - do not underestimate the noise you'll generate from a vibrating object, and it being heard on the floor below! Especially when its got your fat arse weighing it down :thumb:
    Its quite horrendous in my experience, to the extent that as absolutely fantastic as it is, i very rarely use it because, as an example, if i put a bit of music on, i can go downstairs and hear every word of it, not exclusively the bass thumping, and yet the speakers can be unplugged and you can hear the music as if its playing through the speakers at an inconsiderate volume.

If your PC is on the ground floor, the floor below is empty or light use (garage etc), or you simply hate the people living in the flat below :D - get this built or buy a buttkicker, theres something incredibly satisfying about it all, especially for things like racing games you feel the engine change as the RPMs build, Star Citizen is fantastic with the rubble of the thrusters, a kick of the guns as they fire, the explosions when you get a little too close to the action. Even in BF you get the instant connection to the gun as you can feel it.
    If you're like me, and have a living room directly below, and about 8mo on still havent thought of a way to isolate the vibrations from passing through a newly carpeted etc floor (ive built a platform of the correct specs to isolate the weight... no difference. Ive shoved duvets, pillows, alsorts in between and its simply unstoppable!) then its a bit of a nuisance tbh, unless you dont give a damn.

I have 2 ideas in my head at the moment, the one most likely to work would require building something to fit in between the seat rail and the R3v cockpit frame, isolate that piece somehow, and have the Buttkicker mounted onto this. The biggest benefit to this approach is it means the weight is reduced significantly, to about 100kg rather than 175kg (me & the chair vs +cockpit frame) and the footprint to isolate is far less too (cheaper materials cost).
    The 2nd idea basically involves slapping a mattress under the whole thing and looking like trailer trash :D I wouldnt care though, it'd be worth it. I just need to get around to rearranging a load of stuff and if it has a decent impact, i'll buy a new mattress and chop it down to size and make it look 'reasonable' - aka like a badly hacked up mattress with some material stapled to hide the mess.

Edit - Ideal #3: Build the worlds first maglev chair!! :D
    Edit #2 - FFS, cant even build the worlds first! The worlds first maglev chair for sim racing and star citizen!!

9. Parge

So, not exactly an update, but I’d really like to find a way to connect the power and 3.5mm leads more easily. One thing I thought about is neodymium magnets. However, I read that soldering will cause these to lose their magnetism. Anyone got any ideas?

10. Jehla

Jehla Member

After trying a buttkicker then recoiling at the price tag I'm really tempted to give this a go, maybe with three speakers, two in the base and one on the centre back (my spine) of the chair?!

Could I ask if you need the external sound card? I always thought you could get one of these ports (image below) to do bass, I've never had to try though. So Motherboard integrated sound -> Amp -> Pucks.

[​IMG]
    I'm a novice when it comes to amps and have no idea, does the speaker load have to be:
    a) equal or less than the amp rating?
    b) equal or greater than the amp rating?

Also since your running the pucks in parallel I assume each can only operate at 50% power, do you ever max the "volume" on the amp?

11. Parge

I don't know if your soundcard can output the subwoofer alone or not - totally depends on the software. Mine can't so I have to use a 3.5mm splitter. Because of that, the sound going to the pucks gets passed through an active crossover/amp to filter out the high frequencies. I went onto using the crossover/amp that comes with the Aura Interactor now instead of the original amp in my post. Its absolutely perfect for the job since you can vary the level of power it pushes to the pucks as well as the frequencies.

Power wise, you need to make sure your amp can handle 25w minimum per puck, so for 3 - 75W - I'd suggest 100W even if you are running just two. The other thing you need to look for is Ohms. There are two types of pucks, 8 and 16ohm. Depending on which one you pickup, you have to make sure you are wiring your pucks in either parallel or serial to match the amp output. Mine are 16ohms so I have to wire them in parallel because my amp is only 8ohms. If you want to do 3, then you'll need to take that into account. It sounds like its very complicated but if you just do some basic googling there are some simple guides out there.

I should also say, that since the original post, I've moved onto using an Aura Interactor Cushion, which I picked up on ebay for £17. Its ace and much quieter than using the pucks and the backpack strapped to the back of my chair.

[​IMG]

12. Jehla

Jehla Member

Cheers, this was enlightening:

it's a shame my chair back isn't flat enough for 2 speakers...